Author Topic: Hello From N Florida  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Kevin

• Prepper Apprentice
Hello From N Florida
« on: April 23, 2021, 12:48:06 PM »
Hey folks. I've met a few of you informally on the nets as I've been checking in to the digital net for the past month or so and the phone net when propagation is in my favor. I've also been reading on the forum over that same period but just created an account the other day so I could comment in the Radio thread.

We live rural and raise chickens & goats, keep a large garden and have a young orchard that is coming in nicely. Looks like we'll be eating peaches, plums, apples, and kumquats this year. We had figs and olives last year but they were rejected before ripening as the trees were young. We'll see what happens with them as the summer moves in. Nothing from the pear and pomegranate trees yet. I've got a couple of loquat trees to plant yet, but haven't decided where. They'll get too big for the orchard so I've got to separate them. If you've never had loquat, you're missing out. Easily my favorite fruit.

Thanks for having me and I look forward to joining in the discussions.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
Re: Hello From N Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
Welcome from Alaska
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »
Hey Kevin, welcome to the group.

Great group of gals and guys here but watch out for Grizzzzzz, he is ornery.  :dance:

Fruit tree's Mmmmm. I am planning on adding a few fruit tree's this year. Is spring, summer or fall best to plant?

I would like Apples; Macoun, Ida, and Braeburn. Peras and peaches would be nice but the peaches have to be "freestone", plumbs and pears for sure. I like Kumquats but I doubt they would do well at my Latitude - 48' North.

Anyway, I will be picking your brain for sure.

Welcome Brother and 73.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »
    Hello Kevin and welcome to the group.  I'm sure we'll have the pleasure of chatting one of these days on HF.

We planted apples, pear, peach and cherry trees last spring, and they seem to be growing well.  We've also planted banana, orange, lime, pomegranate, and lemon trees which are left outside in the summer, and brought inside for the winter.   

Johny, back when I had an apple orchard (240 trees) we would plant in the spring.  Don't forget to protect the young trees from wildlife.  We used small bars of Irish Spring soap tied to the trees, one bar per tree, and it did a good job of keeping the deer from nibbling on the tree.  And we would wrap the trunk with hardware wire to keep the rabbits from chomping on the tender bark.

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:31:12 PM »
Welcome aboard

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »
Hello and welcome.  I've heard you on the net a few times.  I am over near Gainesville.
Mike

Offline Kevin

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 01:17:34 PM »
Hello and welcome.  I've heard you on the net a few times.  I am over near Gainesville.
Mike

I'm about 1.5 hours NW of GNV.

Offline Kevin

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 01:18:50 PM »
Fruit tree's Mmmmm. I am planning on adding a few fruit tree's this year. Is spring, summer or fall best to plant?

I would like Apples; Macoun, Ida, and Braeburn. Peras and peaches would be nice but the peaches have to be "freestone", plumbs and pears for sure. I like Kumquats but I doubt they would do well at my Latitude - 48' North.

Anyway, I will be picking your brain for sure.

Welcome Brother and 73.  :cheers:

Thanks. I'm not sure about the best time to plant up there, but here we can plant year round if the tree is potted, only during dormant season if moving from ground to ground.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
Thx Kevin.

I checked with my local agriculture advisor and she like Jackalope, recommended planting before the buds start to come out in early, early spring. It looks like I am a bit late this spring.   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
Get them in the ground now anyway.  Might get nothing this year, but you will probably have things for this year.  Fresh fruit next fall may be a great change in dining habits.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.