Author Topic: giving a shout from Virginia  (Read 2261 times)

Offline kb4mcd

• Prepper Apprentice
giving a shout from Virginia
« on: December 19, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
  What's up preppers?! Just a quick intro from northern Virginia. Name's Brian, I live to the south of DC just outside of MCB Quantico. I enjoy checking into the ERINet and I finally registered to the forum.  Career wise I hold an asst. superintendent position with a national electrical contractor. My hobbies first and foremost are my wife and kids(1B2G); however I spend my spare time with amateur radio, hunting and fishing. Seems like a great community here so I'm happy to be apart.

73!
KB4MCD
KB4MCD

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: giving a shout from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 10:21:48 PM »
Hey Brian, welcome to this eclectic group. We have left and right leaning folks but all preppers.

Welcome,  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 02:09:47 AM »
Welcome to group. We now have four "Ginyuns". If it wasn't for the general population's Normalcy Bias, we'd have thousands of members in the group.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 06:47:59 AM »
Hey Brian,

Thanks for introducing yourself.  I am another Virginian (though 'adopted').  Unchained Preppers is a good bunch of bananas and the radio nets are reliable and useful. I am down the Potomac from you, on the Bay.

73 de Sir John Honeybucket
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 07:38:53 AM »
Hail and Well Met Good Sir.  Greetings and Salutations.

W. Central Virginia, Sharptop and Flattop almost my backyard.  White tail are there several times a week.

As all of us here know already, and I sure hope you do--  To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
Welcome from Middle Tennessee.

Hope to catch you on the net sooner than later.  Up til now, I've only listened-in on the net, but I hear the General calling my name.

TN

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 10:40:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 01:12:00 PM »
Noting that we Virginians and near neighbors are all within that IMPORTANT  One-Tank-of-Gas-Distance , we might consider a short, regional net for sharing of regional information.  ERIN does just that with a useful HF plan and operational nets to cover the the usual north/south corridor that contains most of the population and highways which form the 'eastern corridor'. If/when things go SPLAT!, the sharing of information might be rather helpful.

Hams form the long haul HF communications team, and hopefully unite your local MAG with the outside world.  MAGs should have internal, close range (in county or town) communication and at least one or two HF capable hams WHO ARE ALREADY tied into HF preppers' nets (ERIN comes to mind as does AmRRON). This allows rapid close range comms, and sharing of greater regional and national 'intelligence. The close range comms are usually action oriented, while the national HF comm nets fall under 'good to know', but are not often 'actionable'.

SJH
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 02:29:26 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 05:49:22 PM »
Welcome aboard.  I am in Florida.
Mike

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 08:36:01 PM »
Frankly, Scarlet... I might give a damn but the "territories"  out in hinterlands like "Arizona" have enough trouble staying connected, even without "sunspots".
Out here, we administer communications with intact telegraph lines or figure the average distance a runner or horseman can make for surefire messaging ("depending on season").   The railroads?   Synonymous with telegraph and extremely vulnerable to the crippling of a watering tower/station destruction for thirsty locomotives or the climbing of a pole without fear of splinters.    Some of our more industrious have been known to topple multiple pole but that takes more time.   And call me anything but "late for supper".

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »
Sir John, you bring up a good point about comms, and if you do not mind the delay in 1:1 comms like Felix suggested, then radio is a viable option.

Wrong thread to post this, however, as stated before, I belong to three MAG's. All of which has their sub nets to the ERIN net. The PACE is set up as,

P = Local Repeater (VHF)
A = Alternate local repeater (Usually UHF Don't overlook MURS repeaters if you have any in your area)
C = Phone HF Frequencies
E = Signal app

And to a minor point, there are Brevity codes ready to be used if secrecy is important.

Sorry KB4MCD for this welcoming thread to be diverted. I think I am going to start a new post on this subject, as it is a good one that often overlooked.  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 10:48:54 AM »
Start doing that PACE Va thingie and I will have to get out that radio I bought from pkv and try to figure out how to operate it and get with the neighbor who does those things and use his license to talk and go to school and learn stuff and get a license so I can talk at home and then do other things and stop relying on my tin cans and all that stuff.

Dayum you guys expect alot.

Maybe I just need to learn to operate that thing so I can stay in the loop when things go total bohica in the next season or 2.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.