Author Topic: so this is likely a kind of dumb question on packet radio -  (Read 3780 times)

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
so this is likely a kind of dumb question on packet radio -
« on: February 19, 2023, 07:55:14 PM »
a few years ago I signed up and joined Amrron ( I even paid a little and bought their PDF SOI -seems this would be an easy setup to sell an SOI (digital PDF document via etsy)) -I like what they were doing and still do. I made a few check ins on their digital nets- downloaded AIBs a few times, and since my system is dated I actually accidently disrupted their nets also. My ongoing issue is I have an old junker laptop from 2012, and I could get FLdigi to run, but when I ran that app and Js8Call the system would basically flip out and transmit until I killed the radio. With out knowing what they are saying via Js8 call because I never could get that app to function on windows 7/ I sent requests over requests not realizing I was crushing them trying to TX while I was stepping all over them...I know it sounds as bad as it was. I don't really have funds to replace a laptop for this one issue, and it works on most other apps - (like APRSIS- tx/rx APRS packets using a TNCX.) lesson learned on digital tx, and only talking when it's your turn.

so moving along about packet radio ...I'm moving in to packet radio and even ordered cables and should have at least one 2 m rig on packet this week (goal is having two TNCs/radios/one PI and one PC/ BBS and email on both units...- I'm taking my ARPS radio out of service and jumping over to packet radio, I have HF on a signal link/or USB sound modem and can get on HF packet on the 14.105 network.  so here comes my question - since I don't have a lot of people to actually contact I'm wondering would there be any people out there willing to get AIBs or any automated systems that I can get them via packet radio -over the packet network???

-that is if I am able to get on the packet networks (the nearest one I can hit and get on BBS is about 93 miles away - I'm located at Elk mtn, and that station is the MRN node near Danville, Pa. I can talk to other stations as I was able to hear them using the TNCX and software, but I had issues making connections.

I want to setup BBS, and email on the kentronics KPC+3 and I'm slowly researching videos on how-to get on other BBS systems. my end goal is finding info like those amrron AIBs, weather or some other info that I couldn't get locally -using the packet radio network. I can already just bring up message in APRS - type: wxbot - weather...and it will take your location info, and spit out today's weather...I doubt packet radio can do the same. so I'm questioning if it's really going to be useful in finding useful information.

I've seen some clubs online using packet, I've seen some online videos of preppers using packet radio at retreats on solar power backup systems, I think that EOCs sending text messages during an emergency would be smarter then going to voice -since lists of info would be easy to read vs hoping you heard it right as you copied down items for the list...so it makes sense.

I guess I need to get back on winlink, get updated versions of software for HF, outpost ect...and figure out how to config it once I've got all cables to get the kentronics KPC+3 hooked up and setup. I got derailed back in 2019 when my little brother passed so things like winlink need to be setup again.

Mfitzy111 - (Mike)

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: so this is likely a kind of dumb question on packet radio -
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 09:49:28 PM »
It seems like packet is popular only in limited areas.  Packet radio was very active 20-25 years ago, but it seems like APRS has supplemented and/or replaced packet radio on VHF/UHF frequencies.  The long time hams up in your neck of the woods will hopefully chime in to let you know what's available.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 09:48:57 AM »
I hear ya' mfitzy, money is tight at times in our lives. Here are two suggestions for FLdigie computers.

ebay - Evolve III Maestro Ebook 11G Notebook $99-

https://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-Display-Quad-Core-Processor-Storage/dp/B08SZD2RGF/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 - $60-

I know two folks that have the Evolve exclusively for digital comms. They love it for that application.

I have another friend that is working on getting the tablet up and running for digital comms. I will post what he develops for that medium.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 02:01:18 PM »
Packet is rather fragile on HF.  I used it for about a decade in the early years (1990's).  On VHF / UHF it's fine, but you need to ask who you're planning to communicate with, because they require a compatible hardware set-up, instead of the FREEWARE FLdigi program.

I use an old Toughbook.  It's slow, but is SO well made and tough, that I could probably use to to fight my way out of a riot down town.  The Windows in it was so unstable that I replaced it with Linux Mint and that solved the instability problem for me.  I am NOT a computer guy, so if my computer does not 'compute' as desired, I am not going to sit a try to troubleshoot the operating system.

I do NOT run multiple communications programs at the same time - the processor in my laptop locks-up when I try that kind of heavy tasking on my old laptop. When it's AIB time, I use FLdigi, FLamp and FLmsg - that's it.  For JS8call I run ONLY JS8call. That's what I do, for me personally, and of course your mileage may vary. 

- Sir John Honeybucket
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 02:03:13 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »
I just upgraded my laptop in January. I typically run radio multiple programs at once. Fldigi, vARIM, js8call. The trick for getting fldigi and js8call to run nice together is to use flrig for rig control. vARIM is another PITA, but after getting additional tips from some of the amrron guys, I have that running with FLrig as well.

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 12:38:54 PM »
I'm likely just doing too much with the toshiba toughbook...trying to run ARPS/PACKET and FLdigi all at once is likely just not going to work- I'm gald I asked about it. Packet for my area is kind of an experiment -at this point I'm thinking about how to get detailed info -like the AIBs over it. using outpost OPP you can send/receive messages just like via email. it's limited, and slow, but seems to work pretty well so far.
who am I talking to...so far just 1 person like 90 miles away that's been helping me get setup. I hope others in Susquehanna co will get interested in it, as I think it has BBS capabilities built in to the TNC. So if you can reach it, you can get messages over it. for preps it might be really useful at some point in the future.

my sons just started Karate Tue/Thrus so another issue on when I'm going to have time to get on radios- tonight he's not going due to the storm, so I guess I will try and figure out what is stopping my TX issues /shut off both packet station and APRS while I play with Fldigi to get it working.
*maybe* I've got some work to do that is going to keep me chained to the PC (that's why I'm on here...waiting for my bids to end so I can figure out if I'm running this Friday on day trip to pick up military surplus. since other posts have said buy tangibles... last friday I picked up about 400 lbs of gear. I scored a few nice patrol sleeping bags, air mats, bug nets for cots, poncho liners...and spent most of the weekend washing all that stuff to sell.

this is why I worked to get a packet station up...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=preppers+using+packet+radio+video&docid=608047355478680480&mid=42E401D6B50A8B1F00A142E401D6B50A8B1F00A1&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

~Fitzy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:51:09 PM by mfitzy111 »

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 02:27:20 PM »
What ??? Missing karate due to snow?  Karate and snow are made for each other... (joke)

Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 04:09:03 PM »
a few years ago I signed up and joined Amrron ( I even paid a little and bought their PDF SOI -seems this would be an easy setup to sell an SOI (digital PDF document via etsy)) -I like what they were doing and still do. I made a few check ins on their digital nets- downloaded AIBs a few times, and since my system is dated I actually accidently disrupted their nets also. My ongoing issue is I have an old junker laptop from 2012, and I could get FLdigi to run, but when I ran that app and Js8Call the system would basically flip out and transmit until I killed the radio. With out knowing what they are saying via Js8 call because I never could get that app to function on windows 7/ I sent requests over requests not realizing I was crushing them trying to TX while I was stepping all over them...I know it sounds as bad as it was. I don't really have funds to replace a laptop for this one issue, and it works on most other apps - (like APRSIS- tx/rx APRS packets using a TNCX.) lesson learned on digital tx, and only talking when it's your turn.

so moving along about packet radio ...I'm moving in to packet radio and even ordered cables and should have at least one 2 m rig on packet this week (goal is having two TNCs/radios/one PI and one PC/ BBS and email on both units...- I'm taking my ARPS radio out of service and jumping over to packet radio, I have HF on a signal link/or USB sound modem and can get on HF packet on the 14.105 network.  so here comes my question - since I don't have a lot of people to actually contact I'm wondering would there be any people out there willing to get AIBs or any automated systems that I can get them via packet radio -over the packet network???

-that is if I am able to get on the packet networks (the nearest one I can hit and get on BBS is about 93 miles away - I'm located at Elk mtn, and that station is the MRN node near Danville, Pa. I can talk to other stations as I was able to hear them using the TNCX and software, but I had issues making connections.

I want to setup BBS, and email on the kentronics KPC+3 and I'm slowly researching videos on how-to get on other BBS systems. my end goal is finding info like those amrron AIBs, weather or some other info that I couldn't get locally -using the packet radio network. I can already just bring up message in APRS - type: wxbot - weather...and it will take your location info, and spit out today's weather...I doubt packet radio can do the same. so I'm questioning if it's really going to be useful in finding useful information.

I've seen some clubs online using packet, I've seen some online videos of preppers using packet radio at retreats on solar power backup systems, I think that EOCs sending text messages during an emergency would be smarter then going to voice -since lists of info would be easy to read vs hoping you heard it right as you copied down items for the list...so it makes sense.

I guess I need to get back on winlink, get updated versions of software for HF, outpost ect...and figure out how to config it once I've got all cables to get the kentronics KPC+3 hooked up and setup. I got derailed back in 2019 when my little brother passed so things like winlink need to be setup again.

Mfitzy111 - (Mike)

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about JS8 call. CORPs member and NCS here. FLdigi is the way to go for AmRRON on the east coast. I am assuming you are using FLrig for rig control to run fldigi and js8call concurrently. If thats not the case, that is the issue.

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:52 PM »
What ??? Missing karate due to snow?  Karate and snow are made for each other... (joke)

nice! lol.

Mfitzy111 - (Mike)

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about JS8 call. CORPs member and NCS here. FLdigi is the way to go for AmRRON on the east coast. I am assuming you are using FLrig for rig control to run fldigi and js8call concurrently. If thats not the case, that is the issue.

I was using FLrig for rig control, I think - but js8call never would work- it would TX and hang, I was real worried I was going to smoke my radio using that software, and I'm not sure if it was a win7 (old laptop) issue or some hidden setting that i messed up somewhere...- the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I should just pick up a $99 laptop just for the HF rig.

I'm also considering how things work, and what I have laying around - right now, HF rig -SCU17, an Extra Kantronics KPC3+ that I don't have the cable yet to hook the FT450D up to...the Toshiba Toughbook is a tank from 2012 early 5G and all- and I have another laptop laying around that I retired and loaded up with Linux mint (or some other variant) one of my main issues is not really having anyone close using packet (nearest station is MRN about 90 miles west of my QTH), so it's hit and miss as it is- I can hear packets being seen via mheard so it's working - but what am I doing really using this for some kind of survival reason...what's my purpose aside from saying I did something different. what info does it give me?

I know I can rig up the HF unit using winlink and use it to send/receive mail over the TNC.

honestly I'd rather figure out a way to get current AIBs from Amrron to get real information that would be more helpful to survival -what options would I have? is there another way to get information via HF over a TNC, because that might be a better use of the HF rig. idk - there is a reason I'm here weighting all my options.

APRS has a purpose for me using my main radio- tnc3 from fmj (USB), it gives me visual feedback on moving radios, storm info, weather updates, ability to send and receive texts/emails over packet. ...packet radio with out APRS so far has been real disappointing, I can hook into other nodes, and people can hit mine and leave me a message -the lack of network is kind of the issue I'm seeing. I was hoping to re-purpose an old HT and use it with the second TNC, set it up about 30 mins drive southwest of my QTH and see if I can hit Carbondale -link to it, and get down in to the WB folks who have a network in play.

so far I'm thinking maybe I'll buy the cable for the HF rig to hook up to the TNC, config it up for HF and see what it does. winlink was good using vara over that SCU17 -would it work even better using a real TNC?

maybe i need to totally rethink my thinking about packet - but I know there is a WB packet winlink station at 29.000 -again who am I reaching out to for info in WB that won't be in the same issues i'm in here also in PA...

I like the idea of using packet to send info to a group in the background, but honestly right now i don't have the help or luxury of reaching out to link minded people in other states that would be able to help either.
ok- so I need to take a break from this and get back to reading the civil defense manual I'm almost on vol2...

maybe the answer is to just move APRS and packet radio rig to the linux rig, and just only run the SCU17 another detail that I just thought of is the USB hub is a passive hub, might be I need a powered hub or shielding on the USB wires off the system/tncs....  -try try again.  limited time to play daily, so I need a better plan.

~Fitzy111

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 04:57:04 PM »
and a little side note- those kantronics KPC+3 only work for VHF, I thought it would cover HF but that's not an option. I'm going to secure another laptop and move that packet 2m stuff off the laptop and just do HF on that toughbook...seems like the right way to go.

~Mfitzy111

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 11:38:58 AM »

I was using FLrig for rig control, I think - but js8call never would work- it would TX and hang, I was real worried I was going to smoke my radio using that software, and I'm not sure if it was a win7 (old laptop) issue or some hidden setting that i messed up somewhere...- the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I should just pick up a $99 laptop just for the HF rig.

Not sure what version of JS8 you were running, that might matter. JS8 seems to be working better now than it did last year.

I'm also considering how things work, and what I have laying around - right now, HF rig -SCU17, an Extra Kantronics KPC3+ that I don't have the cable yet to hook the FT450D up to...the Toshiba Toughbook is a tank from 2012 early 5G and all- and I have another laptop laying around that I retired and loaded up with Linux mint (or some other variant) one of my main issues is not really having anyone close using packet (nearest station is MRN about 90 miles west of my QTH), so it's hit and miss as it is- I can hear packets being seen via mheard so it's working - but what am I doing really using this for some kind of survival reason...what's my purpose aside from saying I did something different. what info does it give me?

I know I can rig up the HF unit using winlink and use it to send/receive mail over the TNC.

Let's make sure we're all talking the same thing here. What do you mean by packet? Are you talking FLamp or vara? HF or VHF?

honestly I'd rather figure out a way to get current AIBs from Amrron to get real information that would be more helpful to survival -what options would I have? is there another way to get information via HF over a TNC, because that might be a better use of the HF rig. idk - there is a reason I'm here weighting all my options.

There are 2 other AmRRON stations in Susquehanna county, I am one of those 2. The AIB gets sent weekly on Tuesday and relayed on the eastern regional 80m nets at 0100z throughout the week. There's usually other tfc that gets sent out as well. There is more to digital HF than just receiving the AIB. Get proficient at receiving and sending tfc. We have an offweek SITREP net on thursdays when there aren't rolling regional nets. This is good practice. John also runs the ERIN digital net on Tuesdays, another good net to practice sending.

APRS has a purpose for me using my main radio- tnc3 from fmj (USB), it gives me visual feedback on moving radios, storm info, weather updates, ability to send and receive texts/emails over packet. ...packet radio with out APRS so far has been real disappointing, I can hook into other nodes, and people can hit mine and leave me a message -the lack of network is kind of the issue I'm seeing. I was hoping to re-purpose an old HT and use it with the second TNC, set it up about 30 mins drive southwest of my QTH and see if I can hit Carbondale -link to it, and get down in to the WB folks who have a network in play.

so far I'm thinking maybe I'll buy the cable for the HF rig to hook up to the TNC, config it up for HF and see what it does. winlink was good using vara over that SCU17 -would it work even better using a real TNC?

maybe i need to totally rethink my thinking about packet - but I know there is a WB packet winlink station at 29.000 -again who am I reaching out to for info in WB that won't be in the same issues i'm in here also in PA...

I like the idea of using packet to send info to a group in the background, but honestly right now i don't have the help or luxury of reaching out to link minded people in other states that would be able to help either.

The biggest question comes down to what are you trying to do? For me, that is utilizing HF to not have to rely on any infrastructure. APRS requires infrastructure. There are other means to get messages to other stations that don't rely on winlink (which anyone with a winlink account can see all messages.) JS8Call, vARIM, gARIM, varAC, FSQ all have "email" like sending capabilities.

How many of those stations can be powered without grid for an extended time? I'm guessing its less than 50%, likely closer to less than 20%. Utilize these radio networks (ERIN, AmRRON, AHRN) to build rapport with other stations.

On a side note, send myself or the John a PM if you are interested; it would be nice to get a handshake in place at some point as we have a few locals. I think there's 4 of us on here within 30 miles (as the crow flies anyway).

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
what am I trying to do? well that's a good question... me being a computer guy I'm always over thinking stuff that probably should have an easy solution.

I started out running winlink/ fldigi/ Vara on HF and trying to get on digital amrron nets back when I got General license, I picked up the comms down load SOI from Ammron, and was able to get AIBs a few times/ but never really sent them info -I started out getting on it a few times (and messed up their nets locally once- it's likely one of you guys reached out to me due to my disrupting your nets- btw I'm still sorry about that.) I had winlink/vara and fldigi setup and working for a while (well before i messed my stuff up installing the USB drivers for my VHF stuff.).

at that point I started looking at collecting information locally...bare with me, I'm finishing my first cup of coffee. ...I started reading Forward Observer and decided that maybe I need to get information in bands, local police/fire/ems -expanding out to a national level. I have info loaded for local, then the next big city (Scranton), then the state.

what was missing for me was more local 2 way info, so I thought maybe adding a packet radio maybe people locally would be interested. (so APRS is packet, just having a kantronics KPC+3 is packet with a built in BBS, and running two pieces of software over HF is also packet...like to get on the 14.105 net- maybe I'm just expecting too much from this old tech. what I still think would be cool is setting up a BBS that would allow mass messaging. back when I started looking more in to APRS I picked up a Yaesu HRI-200, and played with that setup for the same reason, VOIP radio but it had built in chat rooms on the application side, and users could log in to a chat room, and leave a message for everyone (main issue with this is with out the internet it's a boat anchor). it was cool basically setting up my own repeater, that I can hit with my HT and listening/talking to America Link or TexasNexus...cool. but from a prepping standpoint, I don't know if it really offered any value.

as far as low power/no power...
I have the harbor freight el-cheap-o solar battery charger, and old batteries (now 5 years old) and a 1200w invertor to swing over to battery power, and a outside generator for backup power. So if power drops, I can go to generator, if I run out of gas/propane, switch to battery (for a short time)...I'm annoyed that batteries for little baofengs from not using them too often, are starting to drop, so big losses like deep cycles going bad are just too much right now to replace. I have a few deep cycle batteries that are done in my basement right now.

what I was hoping was to have a way to get information like the AIBs, and have a way to pass that information out via packet radio over the TNC on packet radio on 2m. That would be going from HF, and passing info on the VHF for local people around me...so right now, I don't know anyone really using packet and the one guy who helped me get setup is about 90+ miles south west of my QTH...MRN is his rig, I believe. So right now, my link works early am/ late pm to MRN.  I hoped that Austin (webmaster up in the club up north) would be setting up a link soon, so that more people, more interest...more info.

it would be cool for me to have a few people using packet VHF radios, to get info when things happen and maybe I could help with that...but right now I'm not seeing interest outside of ARPS to send and get messages via packet. APRS has email/text messaging gates, but no real way to send detailed info like an AIB.  I hoped that since I'm not at the top of Elk Mtn, but I'm about 1700ish Ft (top is 2200) that maybe I'm in a good spot to put something in place that would be helpful. The good thing about packet is just that you can send lists over 2m, like email. that's about it. I figure I have both APRS and packet running, maybe people will want to use it. idk.

going down the list of questions-

it was likely an older ver of JS8, and I'd need to get another laptop -so I'm thinking once I start working and have some funds coming in- I can get a $99 laptop for just FLdigi (I think that is a good way to go- from reading what ppl here have posted- so it's just going to be a matter of time, and money.)...I need to make some old stuff go away, but I'm going to order that $99 laptop JohnyMac suggested today sometime. It's my main hold up on getting on Tue ERIN net.

in re-reading what your saying other technologies out there will do email like messaging over HF? I guess that is where I'm going to focus next. my efforts have been focused on APRS (mainly because it's graphic and I can see station information, locations) ...would you happen to have more info on what the best setup is for Fldigi/Vara/JS8 or should I try and setup the new laptop using old info from the SOI from Ammon. ? I'm going to setup the new laptop for just fldigi/vara and have it only connected to the HF radio.

it's probably best I work on focusing on what works for others, and integrate it in to my systems.

I'll reach out next windmills club meeting in person, or maybe I should stop up at Green Gables next time you all are around and chat.

~Fitzy111

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 12:30:05 AM »

>>>>====>  Are there ANY CW operators here?  let me know and we'll add more p2p and small groups skeds for non-computer back channel comms. 

This is a good topic and actually is at the heart of how 'come as you are' communication should work.

1. I'm no longer tied-in with county or other .gov support, so to me, I don't need to support heavy communications, past personal and friend's.

2.  The value of information generally (but not always) reduces with distance. I become interested when the information of within the critical ONE TANK OF GAS RANGE.  This makes regional and county nets VERY important.  HF NVIS is the tool for this job, with VHF for the close line-of-sight and some repeater work.I  DO follow international and trans- national news (has nothing to do with that OTHER TRANS nonsense.)  :deadHorse:

3. There seems to be a desire for NVIS/regional HF, maybe something similar to the HF ERIN nets in various smaller regions? (preferably digital and maybe voice)?  I'd say start an NVIS net per region EARLIER in the day when prop on 80m has not gone long yet. An hour or two before the ERIN Maine to Florida net begins.  This could FEED LOCAL/REGIONAL INFORMATION  into the larger ERIN net later in early evening.  It's a thought.

4. FLdigi has a FLarq add-on to force the station on the far end to acnkowledge receipt and automagically ask for repeats of grabled text packets in just about any mode.  This would be handy for point-to-point transmission of something like e-mail over radio.  Similar but more deluxe, have WINLINK for us, not internet tied, for posting p2p mail and GROUP BULLETINS. You sofrawe guys would know more about making an on the air HF 'server' to allow goup members to search news, articles and personal e-mail, for a defined group.  c'mon server studs, can this be done? An old school dial-up LIKE BBS, but on ham radio would be great.  It would be non-real time, have news, views and topical discussions available, even if there is no internet.   - I.T. guys, your thoughts?

>>> My hot, buttered run is kicking-in.  Time for Zzz!

de Sir John Honeybucket

>>>>====>  Are there ANY CW operators here?  let me know and we'll add more p2p and small groups skeds for non-computer back channel comms. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 01:35:26 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »
As always Sir John, great comments.  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 02:11:02 PM »
Whew, that was a long read from the last time I was in here. Lots of info to cover

Sir John, On BBS HF nodes, yes this is possible. IIRC, each winlink BBS is limited to 100 authorized users. The system operator (SYSOP) can put people in different groups for different bulletins, as well as send "private messages" (p-msgs). You need to trust your SYSOP, because they can see everything.

You are correct in that HF NVIS is 100% what we need to be striving for without our local communities. VHF here in upper Susco is very limited due to the mountain and valleys.

Fitzy,

Regarding 2m usage, and YMMV, that is going to be limited to a very select people within distance. If I had a guess, it would be barren. You would think the ERIN net would attract more PA folks, but ???.

On other digital programs, FLdigi is the big one we are using with AmRRON. I've been seeing more and more operators start using JS8Call as well. I have a guide I put together somewhere on here about FLdigi suite settings and what works for me.

Regarding "email" or messaging, there are 2 that can be used without each station connecting to one another. Winlink is 1 example, JS8 is the other. I can relay a message through another station for you to pick up. Winlink sort of has authentication for winlink messages where you connect to a node, js8call does not. If your call sign gets spoofed, your messages can get downloaded. The downside of winlink nodes is your messages are available to everyone with a winlink account. P2P messages require both stations to be on frequency at the time you want to send.

vARIM also has message sending capability. You can send to a connected station or leave it in the outbox and another station can come in looking for messages. It also has authentication, which is a big factor. The downside, like p2p winlink, is both stations need to be on to connect.

• Committed prepper
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2023, 05:17:54 PM »
For a regional WINLINK set-up, I would rather not have any regional Unchained Preppers WINLINK node connected to internet: there are PLENTY of public nodes already connected for internet connection.  Also, by not being connected to the internet/WINLINK global system, our (theoretical) WINLINK node would not be posting to the internet for peeping Toms to dig through for their own entertainment.  WINLINK did that only to placate the wanna-be custodians of hamdom.  Frankly, I'm not happy to put e-mail addresses, phone numbers and etc. on the internet in an open fashion.  I already receive enough SPAM from Nigerian Princesses, wanting my banking informatio...    :lmfao:

Basically, an RF Only mailbox for Unchained Preppers.

JS8call is superb for many reasons - love it.

73 de Sir John Honeybucket

Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2023, 09:59:02 PM »
I am not smart enough to do what Sir John and OBH is proposing. At 1,000 feet, I love the idea.  :thumbsUp:

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2023, 02:54:45 PM »
 :hiding:

ok I still have not got another laptop, since a buddy that I know is going to sell me his (ex girlfriends) laptop for $50...I've been caught up...so on a good note, guys that I talked to about packet have managed to acquire a 5 element beam for me to try and have a more solid connection to MRN (or LYCO) -so the price turned out to be right! (someone kindly donated it to me- thankfully!).

right now I saw a $200 60ft Rohn tower for sale- my wife said if it's worth doing go do it, thinking that I could setup two 30 ft towers with the parts because that would be what I actually need to get everything up over the roof line...idk. at some point my 45ft tall dead ash tree that is holding up my OCD buckmaster for HF will come down, so it's probably the best option I can think of to get myself setup later. I know my OCD is setup for a temporary situation, and at some point in the future it's going to go away (that tree will come down and take the antenna with it- since it's $350 I should think carefully about planning something better then 550 cords and trees.). Thing is for now it is working, and has worked for over 2 years.

ok. now let me think - I've played with P2P over winlink, using vara over HF. I was able to just do station listed call, and update send /rec mail via winlink -on the backend having another server for email would be out of my area, but something like that is being done already - Seadocs - you can email a web address and it will send text only front page info via email over winlink or whatever your using (hotmail or whatever)- hard thing is stopping ads/ to keep in line with HAM rules.

now for 2m I was thinking of using my own little kantronics BBS for messages- that is if local ppl can hit it over RF via packet radio using Outpost and want to chat/talk - I don't really have a TNC aside from the VHF Kantronics one to do NVIS over HF, but using software at some point I'm sure we can figure it out-

so I'll check back in after I manage to get that laptop, and hopefully get setup- it might be another week or two. my plan will be to setup just JS8call/Fldigi for HF, and winlink/vara again to cover my bases. I don't think much of anything was really too difficult to setup, I'm just not at a point with cash flow to really go chasing wants (I mentioned that to my wife about the Rohn tower). and I'm seriously considering getting it, and the laptop while I'm down in WB next time I stop down.

~Mike

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2023, 03:41:39 PM »
OK so good news, I finally got another laptop (used acer with dead battery -but works ok on AC so far) - the things a win10 notebook. I've installed FLDIGI on it (Com3 and Com4) - radio is a Yaesu FT450D- I'm not able to get rig cat working, so I just need to find more settings online and figure out what steps I've missed. (since I'm looking at the other setup), in about 15 min my son is home- so I'm going to get back to looking for setup steps online. good news is I can pull CW from 40m and decode it- so it's working to hear radio. I'm not trying to tx on it until I get a document of settings in both radio and FLdigi again... I know I had this stuff around two or three years ago.. :D

~Fitzy111

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2023, 03:58:11 PM »
It's good to read that you're making progress.  Digital modes can be frustrating.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »
A lot of veteran digital guys use FLrig for FLdigi rather than FLdigi controlled controls.

There are others out there.  https://groups.io/g/winfldigi/topic/ft_450d_can_t_connect_to/13003185?20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,13003185

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2023, 10:52:24 AM »
A lot of veteran digital guys use FLrig for FLdigi rather than FLdigi controlled controls.

There are others out there.  https://groups.io/g/winfldigi/topic/ft_450d_can_t_connect_to/13003185?20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,13003185

good news- at least for now... I'm looking like it's working! added FLrig to start up via fldigi opening, on com3. Setup JS8Call to use FLrig and it looks like it's good to go! right now I'm tuned to 14.110 - 2000 on water fall on JS8Call. I was able to call CQ over fldigi on 40m, and am going to see if I can get on tonight (son's got Tball- but I'm expecting them to cancel due to rain). I think it's kind of weird, sometimes you lose com3 when the system gets rebooted...but if anyone has time to try and send a call -kc3ndv - I'll see it when I get back down in the basement. :D

I think I'm going to write all these settings down, and try and re-read the SOI from amrron, well after I get some food. -Fitzy111

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2023, 10:52:52 AM »
It's good to read that you're making progress.  Digital modes can be frustrating.

yeah- it's cool though, always something going on.