Author Topic: To Many Subforums  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
To Many Subforums
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:59 AM »
It's just a bugaboo I have. I have belonged to hundreds of internet forums (probably not an exageration) throughout my internet life, and usually the best forums have the LEAST ammount of subforums. It just complicates things. AR15.com is put together awfully for example. First they have a 'Handgun' forum, then a '1911' sub-forum. And then towards the bottom they have about 13 other subforums for all the companies that make popular handguns and it's like WHAT THE HELL? Where do I post? Not to mention the fact that there is also a reloading sub forum, a trouble shooting subforum, a gunsmithing sub forum, a general gun discussion sub forum.. etc etc. And good luck trying to find your post agian in the sea of sub forums after it gets moved by a mod.

Just a few suggestions I would make on this site are:
- Combine the news and politics subforum into one. Or drop them completly and add it to the general discussion sub forum.
- Combine the physical challenge and the Movement tactics or drop them completeley and add it to the general discussion forum.
- drop the DIY and add it to the general discussion forum.
- drop the gear review and add it to the general discussion.
- Combine the mindset and morality forum with the Survival forum or drop them and add to general discussion.

Or in summary, combine everything from the general category and put it in the general discussion. We aren't a big community and a small prepping community can't generate that much discussion.

Combine everyhting from the Off topic/B.S. sub forum into one general off topic sub forum.

In review, my ideal Straight Prep forum would look like this:

1. Mission Statements

2. General Discussion
3. State Boards

4. Vendor's
5. For Sale

6. Off Topic Discussion
7. Site suggestions/feedback
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:32:43 AM by Grudgie »

505th.NM.Militia

Re: To Many Subforums
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
Nice comment, and thanks for contributing!  We are on it hard, and with a MILLION view just around the corner we are making some big plans for the board...   Stay tuned.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
Some good ideas Grudgie. Excited to see what the big plans are.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
I would strongly recommend that "DIY" keep its own sub-forum....it's just too important and useful to be spread out all over the forum.

Also, "Physical Fitness Challenge" should be re-named into "Medical/Health & Fitness" (two birds with one stone).  The mods can make an effort to move previous medical/health related topics into it over time.

@Admins
I'm not sure exactly how the software works, but for example, if you wanted to combine "News" and "Politics", and the only way it can be done is manually (one topic at a time), feel free to give any willing mod the assignment. 

FOR EXAMPLE:  Admin re-names "News" to "News & Politics", then assigns a mod to move all topics from "Politics" to "News & Politics".  Then admin deletes the the empty "Politics" sub-forum.  Like I said, I'm not sure what exactly the admins can do with the software, but if there's not an easy way to combine sub-forums just let us know...I'll be glad to help.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:49:38 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
DIY will remain it's own subject sub forum so long as I am paying the bills. The rest of it is up for debate, comment or question.

Plans you say??  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:07:29 AM »
I see no problems with the site! If forums get combined they will get over loaded thus keeping a new member from seeing what the site has to offer. So rather than see "abc made a great video about xyz" they might see "Why we should all vote for Ralph Nader" for example.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
Yeah, I think the site is fine just the way it is.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »
When I first joined this rendition of the forums after being away for a year, I was daunted by the multitudes of sub forums. SimplicIty is best. Most of the forums can definitely be condensed. The only thing to be gained by so many sub forums is a headache trying to find old posts.

Simplicity is best.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
When I first joined this rendition of the forums after being away for a year, I was daunted by the multitudes of sub forums. SimplicIty is best. Most of the forums can definitely be condensed. The only thing to be gained by so many sub forums is a headache trying to find old posts.

Simplicity is best.
You're basically saying, "Let's put everything into less folders so things will be easier to find." Seriously.....really!

I, for one, am calling bullshit on your line of reasoning.  I say we could use MORE sub-forums, if anything.

If you're trying to find an old post, just use the "search" feature....It works for me most of the time.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »
Cool story bro.

You're basically saying, "Let's put everything into less folders so things will be easier to find." Seriously.....really!

I, for one, am calling bullshit on your line of reasoning.  I say we could use MORE sub-forums, if anything.

So you are basically saying, "Let's increase the places to look for things so that things will be easier to find."

See, I can make you look like an ass to.  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:41:41 PM by Grudgie »

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
I really don't see what the problem is. The amount of sub forums is less or equal too other forums i've been on.
sic luceat lux

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »
Cool story bro.

So you are basically saying, "Let's increase the places to look for things so that things will be easier to find."

See, I can make you look like an ass to.  :)

I guess ill jump in...

Would it make more sense to alphebetize 300 million peoples tax returns or just have a file that says "Americas tax returns"

Which is easier to find the name your looking for? Surely you can understand orgonization makes it easier to locate things.

What your saying makes sense if a dog is looking for the thread.

Ask yourself, "what is the thread im looking for about" is it guns, news, a DIY video... then go to the most likely section... cmon your smarter then this...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:36:36 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
It's all opinions. Some people prefer to complicate things is all. I think it's for a false sense of profesionalism.

As a community of maby a dozen active members, we generate maby 3 real threads a day. I just prefer coming to one forum and scrolling through prepping related material and stickies rather than constantly backspacing and exploring the different sub forums. I've noticed especially on AR15.com that if you make a post and put it in a high trafic forum, even if it could be moved to a more specific forum related to the topic, you get more replies. This is because people read topics in high traffic 'general' forums that they wouldn't other wise read in the other specific forums.

But I just click on the 'New Posts' button up top anyway so go ahead and do what the community wants.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
...What your saying makes sense if a dog is looking for the thread...
Maybe he IS searching by sense of smell. :P

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
Dam grammar Nazis.

Oh wait, you were just making a pun.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:38:44 AM by Grudgie »