Author Topic: This Land Is Your Land!  (Read 1894 times)

hjmoosejaw

Re: This Land Is Your Land!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
If they are what I think they are, wouldn't they be a target? If you zoom in, they each appear to have a structure in the center of them.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:26:35 PM by hjmoosejaw »

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
Yeah, they are make up of segments that go outward from the center pivot... I don't know HJ, farming infastructure isn't going to be a real big target unless someone is trying to stave your community out.

Either way if someone is shooting at your sprinkler you need to deal with that.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
Looking out from the center.

120 acre field being watered.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:35:06 PM by thatGuy »

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
Okay,I thought they were missile silos. We don't have sprinklers like that around these parts. My bad! Well then, I can put that area back on the list. I thought Reaver would be in seventh Heaven, and it wouldn't even cost him any squirrels. LOL! I first thought, maybe around the Bear Lake area, but all other locals would probably head there. The Etna area has creeks nearby.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
I've seen a few of these sprinklers around, but they were the linear type. I don't know of any center pivot types around here.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »
Yeah, you see those circular crops all over the southwest because the walking sprinklers cut down on water use, and the center pivot ones don't require a lot of sophistication from the system or the operator. 

That's good looking out though, HJ.  The southwest is littered with missile silos, but you won't be able to see many of the active ones on google earth.  We tend to kick a little dirt over the top like a desert ghillie suit, or hide them in hollowed out mountains like Dr. Evil's lair.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:44:08 PM by thatGirl »
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
I have a distant cousin (3rd?) back in Georgia who uses center pivot irrigation in many of his fields.  You might not think of Georgia as a place that needs irrigation, but the inevitable summer heatwave will decimate most crops grown in sandy loam.  He's always made out like a bandit when all the other farmers loose their shirts... very wise investment. 
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride