Author Topic: Would You Use The Title of Doctor If....  (Read 470 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Would You Use The Title of Doctor If....
« on: December 18, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »
...you were awarded that title honorarily? Doctor of Humanities.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyQgpKNLxDk

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
Re: Would You Use The Title of Doctor If....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
I get there are different types of Dr.s and not all are Medical Doctors.  People that have earned PhDs deserve the title of Doctor as much as any MD does. That said the words that I used are important! EARNED is a key word here. An honorary doctorate does not constitute using the term Doctor in your name.  Years ago my father in law was High Sheriff of the state. He made me an honorary sheriff.  That did not make me a credentialed law enforcement officer and I couldnt identify myself as a sheriff!  Honorary degrees are given out constantly.  You want so and so to speak at your commencement , drop an honorary degree on them.  Using the title of Dr is not the same as someone from the UK being knighted.  The English may love it and still use the title but everyone knows it doesnt mean convey a special qualification.

It is very important, the term Doctor indicates an advanced degree earned through advanced study resulting in a qualification in a specific field. An honorarium does not constitute the same level and indicates no actual qualification.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:30:23 AM by CJS06 »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
What about those who went to school, studied hard, learned alot, got good grades on exams and was given a Juris Doctor degree?  Then, based on that passed a state bar exam and were admitted to the Bar and allowed to practice law.

Will you address me as Dr. Nemo?

If I went back and earned a LL.M.* degree?   Should I properly be called Master Nemo?

Nemo, J.D.

https://www.lawyeredu.org/LLM-degree.html

*Derived from Legum Magister, meaning master of laws in Latin, the LLM degree is an internationally recognized post-Juris Doctor (JD) law degree,

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:11:47 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
Nemo

In English the title generally prescribed for Lawyers ( who are required to have at least a Juris Doctor degree) is Esquire. Why that is I dont know. Either way it is earned through education and certification.....not through honorarium.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:45:41 PM by CJS06 »

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.... I know, I know...... ask me, ask me..... I have several friends who are Medical Doctors and a couple of others who hold Doctorate degrees in other fields. When being formally introduced, they should be introduced as Doctor (insert name here) but when being introduced informally they should introduced as, "This is my friend Fred". When I introduce my Doctor friends, they all get really pissed off because they all say the same thing. "Dammit, my name is not Fred". :lmfao:

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 07:54:07 PM »
Consider this list that was the first thing that came up when I googled "persons with honorary doctorate degrees"

Meryl Streep...
J.K. Rowling...
Kayne West...
Oprah Winfrey. ...
Aretha Franklin. ...
Muhammad Ali. ...
George Foreman.
Mike Tyson. ...
Diddy.

I think the answer to that question would be a big no.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »
Nemo

In English the title generally prescribed for Lawyers ( who are required to have at least a Juris Doctor degree) is Esquire. Why that is I dont know. Either way it is earned through education and certification.....not through honorarium.

Chris

I know.  And general practice is teaching in any manner, even 2nd grade, Professor is the appropriate title.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 09:07:45 PM »
If they earned a Doctorate degree, they deserve Dr. - I don't care what they earned it in. So I agree with Chris.

An Honorary Degree? Absolutely not.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »
I did some work on the law school student newspaper.  Had one professor (Con Law) referred to in an article as Dr.  He did some requesting to me for a correction.  Didn't take much.  I had missed it in the proof reading.

I did some serious hell raising to the author.

Nemo

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
as an honor no I wouldnt. Except maybe only at the place that gave me that honor. If I was anywhere else I probably wouldnt bring it up.
Now had I worked for that title and got it then yes I would go by that title. But I would have to work for it and earn it to be called by such title.
mid Georgia area here

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »
as an honor no I wouldnt. Except maybe only at the place that gave me that honor. If I was anywhere else I probably wouldnt bring it up.
Now had I worked for that title and got it then yes I would go by that title. But I would have to work for it and earn it to be called by such title.

Exactly my thoughts. I have my masters, and if I worked for my PhD I would go by Dr in anything semi-formal to formal. But honorary? LOL hell no
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2