Author Topic: What are you working on? (latest projects)  (Read 987 times)

Ghost

What are you working on? (latest projects)
« on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
As the title says, what projects are you guys currently working on?

I just drew up some plans on making a solar oven, since I've always wanted to try building my own. Also, on the back burner (pardon the pun), I'm looking at building an antenna to get better radio reception at my brothers cabin. May also look into building something that can increase cell signal (just a thought currently, haven't researched it yet).

So what are you guys working away at to increase your survivability?

(By the way, if something you're doing is interesting enough, then please make a thread in the DIY section so you can pass it along! It's also great to see peoples work and how they do things different from yourself).

Cheers gang!

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: What are you working on? (latest projects)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:53:03 AM »
Working on my EMT training. Once I wrap this up I'll have another marketable skill in SHTF or a shitty economy. Then I plan to move onto learning another skill.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

1000meterstare

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »
Believe it or not I'm polishing up on my cooking skills.  I'm trying to get good at making edible and tasty meals using a minimum of salt, pepper, sauces, or spices.  These things won't be plentiful in a SHTF situation.  Example, quinoa makes a good side dish, tastes amazing as is, and is one of the most nutritious grains on the planet.  I like the heirloom Inca Red non - GMO.  Green beans are easy to prepare as well and taste good (I think) even with little or no salt.  BTW - I have stocked up on a little iodized sea salt.  I use extra virgin olive oil in my cooking as well, too bad it doesn't keep as long as other oils. :cheers:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
What we are working on:

> Getting our house ready to sell in RI
> Putting up the finished ceiling in my bro and sister in-laws bedroom at the cabin
> Putting up the soffit under the roof overhang on the west side of the cabin - Had to wait for the baby birds to grow
   up and leave the nest
> Planting winter veggies, turnips, carrots, winter squash, etc
> At the end of July, it will be time to cut, drag, split and stack 7 cords of wood.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
I'm working a lot at my summer job, which is killing me on time- but at least it gives me more money to put on preps.

I've got a couple of gun projects going, building the "perfect" defensive shotgun and changing out the RDS on my primary AR.

My major project for the summer, which I am collecting supplies for, is rotating some food preps.  I'm gonna add some Wise  freeze dried products to my grab and go food buckets.  I'll make a vid when I test them.  I also want to get started in dehydrating.
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »
@Johnymac- Are you moving towards living fulltime at the Cabin/BOL?

@Currahee- Id love to see your take on the perfect fighting shotgun. Ive built my version of one aswell.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
I'm looking into various antenna systems for my house, tv and radio. Other than the endless projects from home ownership and trying to maintain a suitable level of my preps, that is all.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Kentactic,

My wife and my first goal is to sell the house in RI. Once we do that we will see where life takes us.

I want a job! I know I will not be able to work in RI in the industry that I am in. So if the house gets sold we could relo to pretty much anywhere to obtain a job that meets my skill set. We have relo'd for work six times in the 36+ years we have been together. My wife has the ability to find the good in every place we have moved including Marina del Rey, CA. :facepalm:

Most people are pressed to find a job first, then relo. This typically means you do not get the best price for your house as you are forced to sell it below its actual worth. Most people can't afford owning two houses at once.

Now on the other hand, if my wife had her way we would move into the cabin at the BOL. She LOVES the area and the people there. The good Lord will direct us.  :dance: :dancingBanana:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »
Right on Johnymac. Your wife sounds like a great woman. Given your track record im sure youll be workin again in no time. I cant say i wouldnt stop workin altogether if i had a sweet setup like your cabin though. Lol
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »
Thanks Ken  :thumbsUp: I agree....

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
Absolutely nothing....I'm living it up guys.  :cheers:
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »
Absolutely nothing....I'm living it up guys.  :cheers:
:thumbsUp:
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
Still working on my rabbit hutch/rainwater collection system...had to take a break?moving it (massively heavy) reopened wounds from a recent surgery...you don't want the details.  :facepalm:

Ghost

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »
PT, PT, and more PT lately. Lots of cardio (running, walking, hiking, swimming) and weight lifting. Been scouting out the local area again since this is the longest I've been home for since last year, and it seems the coyote population is getting closer and closer to town.

I've also been getting back into fishing, practising more basic skills like fire making and the like, as well as teaching some of the younger members of my family how to do some of those things.

1000meterstare

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
Hernia surgery? :dancingGrenade:

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
Solar hot water..

Ghost

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »
Solar hot water..

How're you going about that, TG?

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »
Hernia surgery? :dancingGrenade:
LOL! No, Vas opened up internally. I'll spare you the gory details.   :-X

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
I'm looking at two methods and running them side by side.

The old hose in a box and I am taking a water heater tank and throwing it in a box. We might go with a mix up of the two ie pre heat and storage.

Ghost

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
I'm looking at two methods and running them side by side.

The old hose in a box and I am taking a water heater tank and throwing it in a box. We might go with a mix up of the two ie pre heat and storage.

That's interesting. Be sure to post up how it goes, if it works well enough I'll let my brother know about the setup for his cabin.

Cheers mate!

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »
Been working on stripping down and refinishing an antique desk. The desk is from the same school my grandparents went to growing up. It was painted several times over the past few decades and painted furniture is a huge pet peeve of mine. Needless to say it is now finished in a soft walnut. I touched it up with a couple coatings of furniture wax and polished it three times.  8)

It's the little things in life that help me stay sane.