Author Topic: Tools: pistol versus rifle  (Read 888 times)

1000meterstare

Tools: pistol versus rifle
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:22:50 AM »
I've always been more of a pistolero; actually sneered at the rifle guys because I feel accurate handgun shooting takes more skill, practice, and muscle memory.  The long sight radius made it toooo easy in my mind.

I recently did an experiment (keep in mind I live on the prairie in the middle of nowhere).  The load was 185 +p .45 ACP golden sabers out of a Sig p220.  540 foot-pounds of energy.  I first shot a gallon water jug at 20 yards and it literally exploded.  The second shot was at a 5-gallon water cooler jug with the same load at the same range.  Although it exited and had a bigger exit cavity it was not that impressive.  I searched and luckily recovered the bullet.  Expansion was mediocre, and the jacket was totally separated from the core.

Lessons learned:  It is true that handgun calibers are underpowered and you should grab a shotgun or rifle first.  On the other hand, I can always have my Sig with me, although my AK is my best friend after that experiment.  Place your shots with a handgun. :P

backwoodsboy

Re: Tools: pistol versus rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »
Ill take a rifle over a pistol anyday, even though you can conceal a pistol, in shtf i want more firepower than little shit head johnny with his grand fathers shotgun in a shitty situation.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »
I went to a training class once where the instructor said, "A handgun is used to fight your way to a long gun."

Here's a homework assignment: Ask any LEO who you are friends with if they have any stories of a perp being shot that didn't die once squarely hit with  handgun round? You will be amazed with the all of the stories.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

1000meterstare

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
It's a true stat that 90% of all people shot with a handgun (all calibers in composite) survive.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with gang-bangers not being able to afford hollow points but also the handgun's lack of power and quick access to medical care.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:02:12 AM »
...And that they (Gang Bangers) couldn't hit the side of a barn as they probably never practice.  :boltAction:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »
Yeah handguns deffinatly dont kill too well. Thats why they make expanding bullets etc. But the real problem is velocity. The faster the bullet the more trauma to tissue that you never even hit. Theres a term i cant remember. But it describes the failure point of tissue. When it has been shocked beyond its elasticity threshold. Handguns are more of an Arrow affect. Rifles explode stuff. Its like punching a puddle of water or slowly putting your fist in the water. One sends out much bigger rippling then the other.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Alex1992

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
I like both including shotguns but I prefer rifle  :boltAction:

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »
...Theres a term i cant remember. But it describes the failure point of tissue. When it has been shocked beyond its elasticity threshold...

The term is "hydrostatic shock" or "hydro-shock."  Not to be confused with the Federal brand ammo "Hydra-shok."
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

1000meterstare

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
I like that ammo...no frills but it expands well!

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
The rifle vrs pistol comparison is like comparing a roofing hammer to a sledge hammer.  Different tools are for different jobs.  Ideally, you wouldn't put on roofing shingles with a sledge hammer.  Or break concrete with a roofing hammer.  You could adapt both to accomplish the work, but it would take longer and would produce less that desirable results.

The right tool for the right job.

I doubt that there is anyone here who is unaware of that.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco