Author Topic: Something to Do Now and Then  (Read 527 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Something to Do Now and Then
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:52:38 PM »
Practice some.  This happened a month or 6 weeks back.  I can finally grin about so I shall share.

Went off for a weekend a month or so ago. No sweat, 25' camper, full hookup place and all.

One evening my wife wanted me to build a camp fire. No sweat, had ring, wood, kindling, tinder. Lighter, charcoal fluid and all that also. I figured I would see how well and easy the straw tubes of vaseline cotton would work. Set up fire cone, split straw, fluffed cotton, got it in place and started scraping the spark stick. Scraped and scraped and on and on. After the first 5 minutes I got the new stick cleaned so it sparked well. Fluffed cotton and scraped. A good 10 minutes later she got to asking if I needed a match. I got my cotton out of the way and used the lighter. She had a bit of a grin on her face and I felt mighty dumb.

Another couple minutes and more fluffing and I had a nice cotton ball fire going. And learned that practicing is generally a good thing to do. No matter how good you are at doing it.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Burt Gummer

Re: Something to Do Now and Then
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »
 :thumbsUp:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
In my youth I use to go to primitive black powder shoots. One of the things you got points for was starting a fire with flint & steel.

It took me awhile but once you get the "knack" (No pun intended) it is like a bicycle you never forget. But Nemo you have gotten my curiosity up. For this Friday's "steak night" I will attempt to start my grill using the old flint & steel. 

Now where did I put that "make fire" pouch????
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
Yep - you learn more about doing something by practicing it for half an hour than reading five books sometimes!
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper