Author Topic: Security Window Film?  (Read 876 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Security Window Film?
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I've been doing some preliminary research into possibly using some type of security window film in my home. Suppose to keep the glass from breaking out in cases of home invasion, or weather related events. Anyone have any experience with such products? Also looking at a product that also helps maintain a more even temperature in a room/home, in addition to helping prevent glass from breaking out. Bunk? Or does this stuff really work?

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
Re: Security Window Film?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »
I don't understand how it's suppose to work. Unless it is made into the window its just going to hold the glass in a sheet when it breaks.
Criminals use duct tape and book cover film on windows to break them silently.
sic luceat lux

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:29:18 AM »
I've had the opportunity to throw all manner of commercial doors into dumpsters while remodeling an Intel and I can tell you that two pane with a sheet between is rough stuff, tempered is hard till it isn't and the windows with nothing more than the UV film were pretty tough.

There is a buliding materiels salvage somewhere in your area, buy a cheap ($5-$10) window, apply film, turn on your camera and let's see it together!

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »
I've only used the film for privacy, not security.  I second the request for video - would love to see what your research yields!
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
Well now...The gauntlet has been thrown down Crudos  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
I tried to modify my post but was suffering though the slings and arrows of a junk connection,

We had to break the lights (glass) out of those doors when they were in the dumpster per company policy, no joke. The preferred method was to throw nuts and bolts though them. So real informal life experience stuff. We put a lot of good stuff in the dumpsters out there, it was appalling to me.

Colombo

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
The 3m stuff is ornery as hell as long as it is anchored to the frame on tempered glass or you can just kick the whole sheet thru. regular plate glass with the security film is a royal pain to get thru. If I remember right there is a caulk like edge bonding goo specifically for tempered glazing.

3M™ Safety & Security Film Ultra S600 Demonstration

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Colombo and others.

Colombo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
Forgot to mention, if your good with an axe you can probably cut that entry time in half. Still a pain in the butt and you can't just walk thru. I personally would attack the locking mechanism or hinges, mag locks, dead bolts, or top and bottom pins, they don't handle gunfire well.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
That is great advice Colombo, I've found that residential doors aren't 'up to the challenge.'

And an axe makes a great breacher no matter if it's a steel gate or a school bus.