Author Topic: Near miss/dude was lucky  (Read 786 times)

1000meterstare

Near miss/dude was lucky
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »
As you may or may not know, I live in a grain elevator converted into an apartment in the middle of nowhere North Dakota.  I kinda like it here.  My employer owns it, and if it is ever sold I will be provided paid-for housing elsewhere close.  Anyway, I run a small errand to the nearest town and take my dog with me (she loves car rides).  Upon my return, I see a strange truck parked up against the pole-barn bay across the dirt road (which my employer also owns).  I get out of the car (my .38 +p j-frame in my pocket and my Sig .45 in the glove box) and I see a man emerge from the pole-barn door who I don't know from Jesus.  My sweet, lovable mutt falco goes absolutely ape-shit.  In between barks and snarls I gathered that he is a prospective buyer of the property.  I tell him that he comes unannounced and that it is 8:09pm on a worknight.  The only thing that saved him from an ass-beating (or possibly worse) is that he dropped the names of my supervisor and the owner of the company.  Scares me - the dude could have been shot.  I trust my dog's instincts - and he was snooping around here in the middle of nowhere.  What was I supposed to think?  He doesn't even know how close he came.  I called my supervisor and said "what the hell!"  He told me "I'm sorry, I knew he was coming but forgot to tell you."  With all the great tech we have someone not telling me something almost got someone shot.  I'm still pissed about it.   :shoot: 

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
Re: Near miss/dude was lucky
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »
Yeah, that sounds like it could have turned ugly pretty quick.  But then, the buyer will probably want to know if the inhouse security comes with the property.

Thinking about it, that same situation could tie into a real life scenario in shtf.  Someone that you don't  know shows up and you have to decide whether they are innocently just scavenging what they thought was an empty building or if they are a raider.  Do you shoot on sight or not?

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
Welcome to the country my man, we pull guns on people all the time..

One fall evening tGirl and I were milling around the house having just gotten everything in order for the coming workday, the sun had set and we were winding down.

Out of nowhere the dog goes full retard as two cars pull into our driveway like they own the place. The lead car throws a quick U at the end of the drive way and is throwing light against the side of the house.

I can hear foot steps coming up the front steps as I come flying back up the hall with an SKS and a full boat of stripper clips.

The girl has her pistol in her hand in the middle of the kitchen and I am at the end of the hall sending the bolt home on the SKS when they knock on the front door. First though.. 'Bring it.'

They knocked again and tGirl whispers 'what do I do?' I tell her to open the door, now this puts us in a bad way because the door swings into the room and will block my view but I will be able to see her reaction and that 30cal bullet isn't going to give a shit about the wall and door of this mobile home.

So she opens the door with her left hand while keeping her pistol ready but hidden behind the door.

She looks surprised but there is no fear in her eyes, quite the opposite. I can see the wave of relief wash over her as I hear two children scream 'Trick or Treat!'

I will never forget the day I stood ready to gun down a ghost and a spice girl...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
Good teamwork though!  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
That's good TG! Like JM said, good teamwork. Yeah, in the country, you gotta look out for yourselves. Luckily, we have less crazies than in the city. So what sometimes appears to be trouble, isn't trouble at all. But you gotta be ready just in case. Remember guys, to make sure, before you pull that trigger. Boy, the law will nail you to the wall, if you're in the wrong. Ghost and a spice girl, that's funny. :thumbsUp: 

P.S. Sorry kids, we're out of 3 musketeers, but here's a couple 7.62 x 39s for ya. Okay, bye bye now.

I told the wife your story, she cracked up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:27:57 PM by hjmoosejaw »

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
We gave them candy... lots of candy.

To this day I wonder if they ever figured it out.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »

Shouldn't have done that, Next year, you'll have 5 cars flying up your driveway. LOL

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
hj, that is a GREAT idea you have there! Give kids stripper clips full of 7.62x39 instead of candy which isn't really good for them anyway!

No, no, ammo is becoming to scarce. Maybe just a stripper clip with one round in it. Yeah, that makes more sense.

Boy I almost gave away the farm at 85? a round there...What was I thinking?  :facepalm: Good thing I came to my senses.  :lmfao:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

Shouldn't have done that, Next year, you'll have 5 cars flying up your driveway. LOL

I'm pretty sure they knew and were traumatized because that was nearly a decade ago and we haven't had a single trick or treater since...  :(
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »
I just reread your post 1k and zeroed in on the part about your dog.  My first dog was named Falco, not a common name.  You wouldn't have named your dog after a particular Austrian artist from the 80's, would you?

Back to the real story.  It's an uneasy feeling to have something like that happen, but think how much worse you would feel if you hadn't almost shot the dude because you didn't have a gun on you-- better his close call than yours...

The most important thing now is that you have emphasized to your boss that you own a gun for personal protection and you need fare warning if folks are stopping by, nothing wrong with that.  As long as you have the drop on the person, you should be able to watch them for a minute to determine whether they are friend (don't shoot), foe (shoot), or naive jackass (pistol whip). 

I once walked out to our barn expecting to have to shoot a thief after being warned by my two lovable mutts, but instead I ended up pointing a pistol at my future father-in-law.  To this day he claims that the only reason he calls me before coming over now is because he would hate to have to take my pistol from me if I ever pointed it at him again, but  regardless of the truth, the point is that he calls before he comes over :thumbsUp:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »
I once walked out to our barn expecting to have to shoot a thief after being warned by my two lovable mutts, but instead I ended up pointing a pistol at my future father-in-law.  To this day he claims that the only reason he calls me before coming over now is because he would hate to have to take my pistol from me if I ever pointed it at him again, but  regardless of the truth, the point is that he calls before he comes over.

Time to unplug the phone and see what daddy is made of... :cowboy:
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »
I once walked out to our barn expecting to have to shoot a thief after being warned by my two lovable mutts, but instead I ended up pointing a pistol at my future father-in-law.  To this day he claims that the only reason he calls me before coming over now is because he would hate to have to take my pistol from me if I ever pointed it at him again, but  regardless of the truth, the point is that he calls before he comes over.

Time to unplug the phone and see what daddy is made of... :cowboy:

:))  :thumbsUp:

Trust me, I'm tempted to on occasion!  TG's old man is a badass dude, but my girlfriend is one hot bitch and she hates surprises ;D

If were a gambling woman, I'd put it all on black 40 ;)

Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

1000meterstare

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
To thatGirl:  Rock me Amadeus AND Vienna calling.  You know my tastes in music by my posts.  My dog is INDEED named after the Austrian artist.  Had her for 12 years now - she is still fit, healthy, feisty, and one-of-a-kind.  She is my early warning system and is entirely irreplaceable.  I never loved a mutt as much as her. :bravo: