General Category > General Discussion

Movie Review: Civil War - by Forward Observer

(1/2) > >>

Sir John Honeybucket:
The team at Forward Observer reviewed this movie.  This saves me going there myself then getting arrested for throwing trash at the screen...  F.O. already took a hit for the team, by watching it and posting a review so that we don't have to spend money on a Hollywood product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFM1-Zz3BI

JohnyMac:
OBH saw it and said, wait for streaming on your TV.

Nemo:
I don't stream.  Yet anyway, cable bill is rising and needs reduced.  Looking into it.

But anyway, I will wait on the $3 cheap seats at the local theater.  Just seems to me to be one of those big screen worthy movies.

And cost is good.

Review below with spoilers.  Has me interested.

Nemo

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/civil-war-movie-liberals-1235873335/

Obh:
It was an incoherent mess. 90 minutes of following the "journalists" around then a 20ish minute of a battle for DC. No idea who is in the right or wrong.

Jackalope:
    My wife and I were finally able to seeCivil War yesterday.  We both found the first half of the movie to be somewhat slow and plodding.  The action picked up during the last forty five minutes, and there was a crescendo at the end. As has been noted, there's no indication as to which side we should be rooting for.  However, there are clear depictions of evil, and the raw depravity of war.  If you look beyond the purely entertainment value, you will find some excellent lessons.

One of the takeaways from the film is how chaotic an American Civil War would be.  There's one scene in the film where folks are pinned down by a sniper.  We never find out why the sniper was shooting everyone.  The iconic scene where a soldier (essentially someone in a uniform, could be a militia man, or just someone who likes camo clothing) asks, "What kind of American are you?", again reinforces the chaotic situation.  Essentially, this person becomes judge, jury, and executioner.  I would imagine that old grudges would be settled, and petty crime would be dealt with severely.  The film generates lots of questions and thought experiments.  Would law enforcement exist in such a scenario?  How about the justice system?  If you catch looters, how do you deal with them?  (IMHO, there's not much worse than a thief).  How do people get food?  How do you differentiate between opposing forces? 

The film also depicts, probably accidentally, the need to be armed.  Another lesson was don't be a refugee.  Travel during war time is hazardous to your health.  Also, stay out of cities, but rural environments can be just as dangerous.  I'd suggest hunkering down, and staying within your own immediate AO, but that wouldn't make a good movie.

The line, "What kind of American are you?", resonates within me, but for different reasons than in the movie.  Today, we see "Americans" shouting "Death to America", as they protest whatever is the "cause du jour".  American culture has drifted from the original intent of our founding fathers, as the government implements more freedom limiting laws.  We were once the great melting pot; now we're a fractured society.  We've lost the pride in our country, and patriotism is frowned upon by the media and academia.  Could the U.S. devolve into what was depicted in the movie?  I say, "Yes!", and it may be unavoidable.

So, was it a good movie?  If you were looking for an action movie or a popcorn thriller, then the answer would be no.  If you're looking to observe one possible future scenario, then the answer would be yes.  The movie was mildly entertaining, but it also served as an excellent means of projecting possible threats and possibilities.  If you look beyond the purely entertainment value, you will find some valuable lessons.  Whether the movie is mediocre or good is, of course, subjective, but I suggest watching the film with an open mind.  For me, I rate it four out of five stars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version