Author Topic: Low-profile wind power generator  (Read 1210 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Low-profile wind power generator
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
Nothing screams 'look at me,' like a wind turbine on a tower. Found this UK company that has a low-profile, discreet version of a wind power generator that fits long the ridge line of a roof. Still in development, but I love the concept.
How does it work?

The ridgeblade is a cross flow turbine fitted on the ridge line at the top of a building and uses advanced aerodynamics to collect and focus the wind. And whilst the unit is fixed to the roof and doesn't turn to face the wind, the advanced blade design means that it works in 70% of wind directions. The turbines are modular, and connect together mechanically and drive a generator which produces electricity.

How much electricity will it generate?

Because the ridgeblade doesn't turn to face the wind like traditional turbines, every site will be different, so it's difficult to be precise about how much energy will be generated on a particular roof. In the past, small, urban wind generation systems have over promised when it comes to outputs, so we want to be absolutely certain that we are accurate when we release the output figures. That is why we are undertaking a large scale testing programme on multiple sites around the world. What we can say is that we are quite confident that the RidgeBlade will pay for itself more quickly than comparative technologies. However, testing has shown that a 12m RB2 installation will produce in excess of 3200kwh per year in an average UK location (not on top of a mountain!).

http://www.ridgeblade.com

http://cleantechnica.com/2009/10/23/the-new-nimby-defeating-wind-turbine/

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Re: Low-profile wind power generator
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
Or you can have house mounted on bearings  :trolling:

Looks nice, but I dunno how good that will work with cross winds, in many places nor even classic wind turbines are recommended if winds aren't strong enough, I think not being able to face the wind those turbines will need even stronger winds.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
Thanks for posting Crudos. It's an interesting concept however I see many things that could make the machinery break down over time like:

> Birds
> Leaves
> Branches
> Snow...

to name a few.

When I lived in S. Cal. wind generators were common to see on cruising sailboats. The problem was that they were noisy and depending where you had them mounted, they were dangerous. Slowly over the years solar power has taken over the cruiser market for charging ones batteries while swinging at anchor.

Me personally, for multiple reasons some of which I outlined above, I will stick with my solar panels.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Interesting concept.  I'll be interested to see where it goes.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Dungeon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, however I have to agree with APX, cross winds can kill this thing. unless you put your house on an axis to rotate into the wind!!!  :facepalm:

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
The blades are designed to be able to work in most crosswinds, from what I've read.

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
It seems like a cool system. And yes perhaps it may have some functional draw backs, but if they were properly addressed and fixed, i would definitly say the low profile of the system would be a definite plus. Kinda hiding resources in plain sight.

Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline Macirculaire

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »
Really nice topic....Keep it up  :D