Author Topic: Local (to me) article about prepping  (Read 584 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Local (to me) article about prepping
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »
From the local free weekly paper, with a okay article on prepping and preppers in the area (Madison, WI)

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=41184

Thought the last paragraph was actually pretty good:

So, what's your plan for WTSHTF?

My family doesn't prep, and when I took an online survey to learn my "Prepper Score" at the "Doomsday Preppers" website, the results were predictably pathetic. Sure, we've got a camp stove and some fuel, but I come up empty on bottled water, ham radios, generators, guns and ammo, or old-fashioned, tradable currency like silver. The survey says we'd last one or two weeks. The best preppers could survive 18 months.

On our own, then, we might not survive. But I'd like to think that my utopian east-side neighborhood would rally together if catastrophe struck. After all, we already swap tools and watch out for each other's kids. In a pinch, wouldn't we pool resources and become one big Swiss Family Robinson?

I told LaHaise this idea. "That's good that you trust everyone," he said. However, after a pause, he added, "But can you really trust everybody?

"People that are stressed, that are starving, that are panicking, they become different people," he says. "That's a heavy thing to think about."

It is. And in case he's right and I'm wrong, I've got a plan B. My family would "bug out" to my uncle Arvid's farm in southern Minnesota. He and my aunt can their own food, know how to kill and field-dress a possum and, like Kathy, know the difference between a poultice and a liniment.

I could tell you where they live, but, you know what? I think I'll keep that off the record.

edit: Here is the link to the Madison Area Preppers Meet Up group.... http://www.meetup.com/MadisonPreppers/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:31:54 PM by crudos »

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
Re: Local (to me) article about prepping
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
Interesting!  But what happens when Uncle Arvid says they can't feed dude's family and chases them off with a shotgun?  I hope he's at least floated the idea by his uncle.  I know there are several people who will be shocked to find out we're not letting them in our "lifeboat".
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I know riiight? Dude's prepping plan is to go mooch off his elderly country relatives because they can food. They probably don't even prep, just can food like alot of people out in the boonies.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
This guy went from
Plan A. Mooch off neighbors
To
Plan B. Mooch off family

Plan C. Mooch off gubberment?
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
This guy went from
Plan A. Mooch off neighbors
To
Plan B. Mooch off family

Plan C. Mooch off gubberment?

Ken, just to make sure that I understand what you're saying.  You're saying he's a moocher, right?   :lmfao:

I agree.  He probably has a lifetime "moochers anon" card.  About the only thing I can say for him is at least he took the test and knows he isn't going to make it if tshtf.  Which is fine I guess.  I've met people before who have said that they wouldn't want to live in a shtf world.

Personal choice I guess, not the one I would make.  The problem occurs if they change their minds after the event happens and all of the sudden want to live at any cost.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco