Author Topic: keep an eye out while at goodwill/thrift stores  (Read 229 times)

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
keep an eye out while at goodwill/thrift stores
« on: March 14, 2023, 12:07:58 PM »
So last week my wife goes in to a Binghamton thrifty shopper store for some used pants (weight loss is good)...while there she happens to see a camping bag and gives me a call. She sends me a picture, saying you want this pack?

she then tells me -it's locked, so there is stuff inside it from the last owner...I'm like...oh OH OH. YES! GRAB THAT THING!

she gets it for $80! takes it home later that night, and I open it like a kid on Christmas day!  Pack is an SOG 72 hour bag... outside pockets nothing. unlock the lock for main pocket. outside of it, it's got an self inflating air mattress like new, two person german tent from Dicks Sporting goods...inside, poncho liner in a stuff sack, butane tank, butane single burner primos stove, butane single mantle lantern, canteen w/ cup, cover and water prue tabs...US military poncho, winter mittens, wool green gloves, boat matches in case, tinder kit (metal) fire kit (metal- matches, sparker, steel, more boat matches) signal mirror, metal cup, and metal water bottle, thermos metal cook cup, plastic cup inside...so the only things I added ziplock with socks, Sawyer water filter, a knife and a pack of lifeboat bars. I will probably add a few instant hiking meals to the outside pockets next.

It didn't need much of anything else. I hiked with it last week too, walked a mile -it's comfortable for what it is. I don't think I could have found all that stuff for $80 so I think my wife scored good on that find!
What I want to do next is take it out and use the lights, cook stove and make a lunch or something- using stuff and making sure it works it a skill in itself.

~Fitzy111

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:14:10 PM by mfitzy111 »

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
Re: keep an eye out while at goodwill/thrift stores
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:30:50 PM »
Oh, that's GREAT!  It seems that whoever packed it understood the essentials:

1. Shelter
2. Water
3. Scotch & cigars.... oh, I mean FIRE. (to light cigars, of course)

Thanks for posting, including the pictures.

- Sir John Honeybucket
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 02:32:13 PM »
SCORE!  :dancingBanana:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 02:13:10 PM »
Good find!!
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 09:42:08 AM »
So last week my wife goes in to a Binghamton thrifty shopper store for some used pants (weight loss is good)...while there she happens to see a camping bag and gives me a call. She sends me a picture, saying you want this pack?

she then tells me -it's locked, so there is stuff inside it from the last owner...I'm like...oh OH OH. YES! GRAB THAT THING!

she gets it for $80! takes it home later that night, and I open it like a kid on Christmas day!  Pack is an SOG 72 hour bag... outside pockets nothing. unlock the lock for main pocket. outside of it, it's got an self inflating air mattress like new, two person german tent from Dicks Sporting goods...inside, poncho liner in a stuff sack, butane tank, butane single burner primos stove, butane single mantle lantern, canteen w/ cup, cover and water prue tabs...US military poncho, winter mittens, wool green gloves, boat matches in case, tinder kit (metal) fire kit (metal- matches, sparker, steel, more boat matches) signal mirror, metal cup, and metal water bottle, thermos metal cook cup, plastic cup inside...so the only things I added ziplock with socks, Sawyer water filter, a knife and a pack of lifeboat bars. I will probably add a few instant hiking meals to the outside pockets next.

It didn't need much of anything else. I hiked with it last week too, walked a mile -it's comfortable for what it is. I don't think I could have found all that stuff for $80 so I think my wife scored good on that find!
What I want to do next is take it out and use the lights, cook stove and make a lunch or something- using stuff and making sure it works it a skill in itself.

~Fitzy111

My now X wife sold my relatively nw Stihl chainsaw at a garage sale she and some friends had. The guy who bought it had walked "behind the rope", grabbed the chainsaw, and asked her, "how much is this?"  "Well, it doesn't have a price, how does $25 sound?  "Deal!" he said. 
Moral of the story... there might a guy out there, grinding his teeth over the loss of that bag.

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 04:37:12 PM »

~Fitzy111

My now X wife sold my relatively nw Stihl chainsaw at a garage sale she and some friends had. The guy who bought it had walked "behind the rope", grabbed the chainsaw, and asked her, "how much is this?"  "Well, it doesn't have a price, how does $25 sound?  "Deal!" he said. 
Moral of the story... there might a guy out there, grinding his teeth over the loss of that bag.

wow. sadly I think I found someone's bag that had passed away in 2015 or so- I found the guys name (it was on some of the gear) and did a quick search for his name just in case something like that happened...it's likely the guy passed and his kids wanted to pass this bag along rather then have it take up space in their garage. so I'm just gonna be thankful.

and I've been on that x-wife side of things where I lost stuff...it's not fun, I totally get that.

sometimes you just need to be thankful, and count those blessings- as things in that bag might save someone. 
~Fitzy111