Author Topic: importance of flea markets, yard sales etc.  (Read 901 times)

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
importance of flea markets, yard sales etc.
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »
I feel that this is an over looked subject for preppers. I went to the flea market a few weeks back I picked up a half h.p. a/c electric motor for $10 a hard cover foxfire #4 for $4 or $5 and for you tactical guys I got a safari land drop leg rig for $15. Not my best day out but good deals, of course I talked the people down on the stuff. But in a total collapse situation these sorts of sales and dickering skills will be necessary. So what kind of deals have you found? Also the holster on the drop leg is for an m-9and a thumb drive will a serpa style holder fit the rig?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: importance of flea markets, yard sales etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »
Great topic Gap!

Almost everything at our cabin was purchased at yard sales and or consignment shops. 

> Sofa
> Recliner
> Dishes and silver ware
> Bed frames
> Ice Box
> Etc.

My bro & my mom came to the cabin for a visit recently and said something to us that the theme of the cabin was rather "eclectic."  :lmfao: Yes it is!

On another note: Yard sales in a TEOTWAWKI situation is probably going to be the life blood of the community. Store up on things that are trade worthy!.

By the way Gap, new tat?   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »
Not super new its about 4 months old thought it would make a good avatar picture.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I have to admit this is a skill on which I really need to improve.  Negotiating is hard for me - I never know how to strike that happy balance and am far more likely to see something I want and just want to make sure I get it. :)
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
I was in your camp Wellie until I was laid off. Then I lost my shyness in bargaining.

I now negotiate on a lot of things whether it is at a lawn/yard sale, buying off of Craig's list or buying hardware from the local mom & pop hardware store.

How I got over my shyness was to surf the web to figure out what the going rate was on something. Armed with that info I was able to offer a fare price. If they wouldn't bite then it wasn't meant to be.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
That's a good way to think of it.  I have to admit, this thread has inspired me to hit up our local thrift shop for something I need rather than pay $140 for it new.  (I need a breadbox - found one I really love, made in the USA, etc, but really, $140 for a bread box? *sigh*  I'm sure I can find something just as nice at a thrift shop or garage sale.)
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:06 AM »
It's a skill everyone should have! Dickering is a southern tradition(nothing against you Yankees :cowboy:) horse trading so to speak, farm folks are used to hitting auctions sales and flea markets on the weekend our whole lives! Hell that drop leg they were asking 18 bucks for I told the old lady "give me a twenty" right in front of the guy and still talk him down three bucks on a hundred dollar rig. They are there to make a few buck in stuff they don't want, when you understand its junk to them well..... Just think of it as such! Every time I put something up for sale I build in a generous profit in to it, and expect to be talked down. Just like buying a car or a house if you are spending your hard earned money on something that makes it an investment treat it as such! Speaking of which pawn shops on precious metals know spot price at that time and pay NO more than spot they buy it for at least 10% under spot!! Why so the can make money!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
My brother and his wife are yard sales aficionado. Here is one of his tricks...

He and his wife ONLY go to yard sales in the more affluent neighborhoods.  He avoids blue collar neighborhoods all together. There reasoning is that wealthy people just want to get rid of crap while the blue collar groups want to make a buck.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »
My brother and his wife are yard sales aficionado. Here is one of his tricks...

He and his wife ONLY go to yard sales in the more affluent neighborhoods.  He avoids blue collar neighborhoods all together. There reasoning is that wealthy people just want to get rid of crap while the blue collar groups want to make a buck.
That's one of my tricks too. Plus the wealthier the seller, the higher quality stuff they tend to sell.