Author Topic: I want to paint my Rifle.  (Read 4846 times)

cornkiller1

I want to paint my Rifle.
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
I want to paint my rifle to break up the black. I found this video and want to try this but with a lot darker colors. More so like woodland camo of the south. Now I've never painted anything... Oh and yeah yeah Duracoat. My rifle isn't a collectors piece it's a tool. I just want to break the black up. How did you guys paint your rifles and how? What do you think?

How to paint your rifle in a camouflage pattern

Camouflaging your rifle
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:58:42 PM by cornkiller1 »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: I wan to paint my Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Go to AR15's site and search camo rifle. There a lot of good posts.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
just get some kyrlon camo spraypaint from china mart

camo patterns generally suck pretty bad too, the most effective way is to just go random with it
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
we've all seen those good ol' boy pickup trucks with the homemade camo spraypaint job, and it usually looks gawd awful... I actually saw one recently that looked badass. it looked like he laid the base colors green and brown first, randomly. then on top of that he took some kind of thin-leafed foliage, kind of looked like branches of a rosemary bush (although I doubt that's what he actually used, but just for reference...) and used that as a stencil for a very light, almost smokey looking layer of black. looked solid. I may copy that dude's method if I ever get around to doing any homemade camo on something.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: I want to paint my Rifle.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
the best way to paint a vehicle is to lay down a base color, then completely drape camo netting over it hit it with the next color then for any 3rd color make a stencil and apply them at random

cornkiller1

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
oh yeah that is pretty cool, I didn't think about using camo netting to cover it and paint. I got a shit ton of mil surp camo netting in the shed.

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
bro if it can be done with spray paint or duracoat i have done it more than a few times

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
Degrease that shit, oily metal will not take paint worth a shit, clean and dry..

Try Slip 2000 725, I've never used it but Pat Rogers recommends it  ;D

I would hit up the Barbasol or Simple Green simply because they will break the grease without melting plastics.

I don't know what to tell you to do about the parts that move like the safety selector, you don't want to have to break the paint to free that part. Maybe paint the gap with wax so you can clean it out.. I don't know. For sure you can tape over those areas to keep paint out.

Stuff paper in all the holes to keep paint out of the barrel and fire control group, don't fuck around.

Read the can of before you paint, start to spray past the part you're painting, CLEAN YOUR TIPS, go from light to dark, cheap paint is bullshit, Flat or Matte but no Semi or Gloss because shine sucks, don't paint rubber make sure the lens caps are on and tight and don't get screwed up over thinking it because it will wear off.

Oh yeah.. take picture and FLECK THAT SHIT!

cornkiller1

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:59:11 AM »
I bought rustoleum ultra flat camouflage Green, tan, brown and black. Was going to get krylon but China Mart didn't have it. Also got some Ultra fine sand paper to help the paint Adhere to the rifle.

I'm going to work my way up, First I'm going to start with painting a magazine, then perhaps one of my mosins, and then i'll paint my AK. Still skeptic if I should paint the aimpoint H-1 and surefire with it or not.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:01:07 AM by cornkiller1 »

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:16:13 AM »
Don't diss Krylon. It works really well. Here is my NERF gun with a Krylon Tan base and a few Krylon green stripes. Very matte and gives it a nice rough surface. Doesn't look very pretty when it gets some wear but it does what camo is supposed to do.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:18:19 AM by Grudgie »

cornkiller1

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »
I wasn't dissing Krylon. Just wal mart didn't have it. I'm going to use a tan base coat as well.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
Ya i was considering painting my shotgun. The hard part is rhe stock and forend are rubberized. Then the mag tube paint wont last long with the forend rubbing it off plus that might make the action rough... So really all i can paint is the barrel and reciever. I might just put a couple stripes on it and call it.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

cornkiller1

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
I feel ya, The paint I have says it sticks to plastic. All the parts on my ak besides for the pistol grip are metal. I'm honestly not to worried about the paint getting faded or chipping. As long as it breaks up the black and doesn't affect the over all function, it's fine with me.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
I would want to make sure that brake cleaner doesn't melt plastic and mask off so you don't paint your insides!

cornkiller1

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Thanks for all the feed back guys. That guy, I've already bought the masking tape. I'm going to stuff the inside with paper towels and a disposable ear protection down the barrel.

I'm still unsure what type of degreaser to use.. I have Winchester break free. I might just try barbasol shaving cream.

cornkiller1

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »
i'll make sure to post picture. I'm just waiting for a day above 50 degrees to paint.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
Okay, now I have a LOT of experience with this shit... don't believe me, just ask papabear! lol

Reading the tutorial, that guy did a pretty damn good job explaining a lot of it so I wont have to type out a lot like I was going to! lol.  I will add this:

DUSTING:
With the areas you don't want to dust covered, hold your paint can slightly farther away than you normally would.  Press the "trigger" or sprayer (depending on what model you use) for only a brief moment.  The goal of this technique is to put a light scattered spray of one color on top of another.  The purpose of this technique is in recognition that nothing in nature is really one solid color.  Even a rock or dirt has several colors in just one small swatch. 

Also blending colors works great.  When using "hard templates" that do not sit flush to parts of the rifle, you end up with blending due to the exposed edges.

And +1 what TG said...

ALSO, I ALWAYS used Krylon MATTE finish clear coat to round out my projects.  Granted being non flat it adds a slight "shine" to it, it gives it a much more professionally done appearance as well as making it last SO much longer.  They also make a FLAT clear coat but the last time I tried to pick some up they had recalled the entire lot locally...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:03:36 PM by Outonowhere »
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

cornkiller1

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
Thanks for the input outonowhere. I'm honestly really scared to paint my rifle. lol. I just finished spraying the fuck out of it with winchester break free.

I don't want to paint my Aimpoint micro quite yet but I lock tightened it on so I just covered it in masking tape.

I've been watching painting videos and read tutorials non-stop. I just hope it actually turns out CAMO and looks decent. I'm going to hate going over it with some ultra fine sandpaper so the paint adheres to it better.

I'll try my best to do the dusting just like you said. I'm only painting one AK out of 4. It's not going to kill me.

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
fuck you guys, i painted my shotgun today  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

cornkiller1

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
well lets see it then big man.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the input outonowhere. I'm honestly really scared to paint my rifle. lol. I just finished spraying the fuck out of it with winchester break free.

I don't want to paint my Aimpoint micro quite yet but I lock tightened it on so I just covered it in masking tape.

I've been watching painting videos and read tutorials non-stop. I just hope it actually turns out CAMO and looks decent. I'm going to hate going over it with some ultra fine sandpaper so the paint adheres to it better.

I'll try my best to do the dusting just like you said. I'm only painting one AK out of 4. It's not going to kill me.

No need to go over it with sandpaper, I never did any of mine.  And the more coats/curing time the longer it lasts.

Also you can be creative with making patterns to help break up the outline.  I have used window screens, and fishing net before.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »
...I have used window screens, and fishing net before.
I was thinking about trying burlap to see if I could make some "poor man's" digi-camo.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

cornkiller1

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »
why would you want to make one digi cam? :p Least woodland works somewhat. But that's just my AO. Heavy pine/swamp.

cornkiller1

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
outonowhere. Mind posting a picture or two of your work?