Author Topic: Historic Perspective: The Powder Alarm, 1774  (Read 891 times)

CrystalHunter1989

Historic Perspective: The Powder Alarm, 1774
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
With all the hoop and hollar, price gouging, panic buying, speculations and wild fears running rampant, I thought now would be a good time to examine a little known incident in our nation's history.

BACKGROUND:
By 1774, the Colonies were growing restless with their royal masters. The Committees of Correspondence allowed the local governments to communicate with each other and spread the word about abuses under the new Intolerable Acts. Citizens of MA had not yet organized into fighting units to confront the British, but they often spoke of giving support to Boston, whose port had been closed earlier that year.

General Thomas Gage, military governor of MA, was charged with enforcing colonial law. He decided that the only way to prevent open war between the American Whig party and the British Tories was to remove the military stockpiles of gunpowder scattered throughout.

THE MAGAZINE SYSTEM:
As a result of the Seven Years War, the British had left several stockpiles of munitions in place all over the Colonies. Some of them were fortified manors, others simple locked magazines (large stone structures, like a grain mill, to protect the powder itself from the elements). Some of the magazines belonged to local towns or the militias themselves. The government in London has decided, in the wake of the Boston Tea Party, to take more security measures lest their powder be stolen. One such magazine was controlled by William Brattle, leader of the provisional militia in Charlestown, MA. Brattle had refused to take sides between the two parties, and on August 27, notified General Gage in a letter that the town had removed their own supplies from the magazine. Only the King's powder remained, and it was the largest amount in MA.

THE INCIDENT:
Gage sent Sheriff David Phips to get the keys to the magazine from Brattle, which he did. Gage then ordered his men to prepare for action. On September 1, 260 regulars from the 4th regiment rowed up the Mystic River, then marched a mile to their objective. The powder and two field pieces from Cambridge were removed without incident and taken to the British stronghold at Castle Island.

COLONIAL REACTION:
Wild rumors flew about all over the Colonies. British regulars were marching, powder had been seized, blood was spilled. Militias in the surrounding area mobilized for battle and converged on Boston. The contents of Brattle's letter was published, leading some to believe that he was alerting Gage to take the powder before the citizens could. Angry mobs forced Brattle to flee for his own safety. Phips disassociated himself from any involvement. Eventually, the facts were made known and the militias went home.

BRITISH REACTION:
General Gage was shocked by the rapidity and scale of the colonial mobilization. He immediately requested more troops from London, stating, "If you think ten thousand is enough, send twenty. If one million, send two. You will save much blood and treasure." The request was deemed absurd. Only 12,000 regulars were in Britain at the time. Of those, Gage received about 400 Marines. However, London agreed to cease all imports of powder to North America and to immediately secure all stores abroad.

IMPACT:
The colonial militias redoubled their training and took measures to hide their powder supplies. Locals kept closer tabs on the British troops as Gage began more fortifications to the Boston peninsula. Patriot leaders in Worcester urged the militias to reorganize 1/3 of their forces into a new unit: the minutemen. Furthermore, legislatures in MA organized into the First Provisional Congress and established a system of horsemen to carry information for the most up-to-date news.

LEGACY:
Although proven a false alarm, the incident proved permanently detrimental to relations between London and the Colonies. More bizarre events would follow. On December 12, Paul Revere, acting on faulty intelligence, spread the word that the British were to seize powder supplies at Fort William and Mary. The Colonists led a preemptive raid and distributed the supplies among the militias. In truth, the British had contemplated such an operation, but abandoned it.

The biggest impact of the raid was the fact that the militia's began hiding their supplies.

Seven months later, on April 14th, General Gage received orders to disarm the militia in the little town of Concord...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Historic Perspective: The Powder Alarm, 1774
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
And so, the "Shot that was heard around the world."  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Great post Crystal. Thanks.

So ladies and gents, what can we gleam from this most resent event? Thoughts...Predictions?

Last night at about 8:00PM ET my internet went down. Bummer but not a catastrophe as I also have a Verizon Hot Spot. Certainly slower but heck it worked.

This morning when I got up our DSL was still down so I called the telephone company.

After waiting on hold for 20 minutes a real person came on. She was curt and utterly unfriendly. Before I could tell her my tale of whoa, she spit into her mouth piece that all of 570 area code internet is down. "It will be up sometime today!"

Well my tricorn tin foil appeared and I thought AGAIN: How can we all communicate if the internet...phone goes down?

Just some food for thought...

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Alex1992

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
Thanks Crystal I LOVE history  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
Thanks gents! I see the panic gripping gun owners and those in the industry and think, "Are you people crazy? We just had a panic after November 6th! They haven't done anything yet!" Do we have valid reason for concern? Absolutely, but this foaming-at-the-mouth race to empty the shelves of every gun store across the map is plain silly. I found the lessons of good vs bad intelligence particularly appropriate for this new panic.

Captain Parker knew when the moment of truth had arrived. I reckon we will too.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »
Captain John Parker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Parker_%28captain%29

A question for the forum...Do we have the guts to do what the men did at Lexington & Concord? Or will we just sit back and just sulk, write on the internet and watch football?

No disclaimer...A serous question. With that said, you do not need to post a response.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
Captain John Parker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Parker_%28captain%29

A question for the forum...Do we have the guts to do what the men did at Lexington & Concord? Or will we just sit back and just sulk, write on the internet and watch football?

No disclaimer...A serous question. With that said, you do not need to post a response.

I won't post an answer, but keep in mind that Parker's militia did not seek a fight with the British. They merely positioned themselves on a hill off the road so that they were visible.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »
Ah yes...But who fired the first shot?

...Tradition reports Parker's order at Lexington Green to have been, "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." He witnessed his cousin Jonas Parker killed by a British bayonet. Later that day he rallied his men to attack the regulars returning to Boston in an ambush known as "Parker's Revenge"...

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »
Ah yes...But who fired the first shot?

...Tradition reports Parker's order at Lexington Green to have been, "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." He witnessed his cousin Jonas Parker killed by a British bayonet. Later that day he rallied his men to attack the regulars returning to Boston in an ambush known as "Parker's Revenge"...
Oh man, I always thought it was Professor Plum in the library with a candle stick, no wonder I never win...  :-[

I do like reading history posts and this one is very apropos, thanks CrystalHunter for the veiled wisdom!

Irrelevant sidenote:  I was in Colonial Williamsburg a decade or so ago with my sister.  We were having lunch in one of the ye olde food dispensaries and this couple sitting at a table near us had a child with them, probably a year or two old (I'd of had to open him up to count the rings- bad tree joke).  The acoustics in the place were intense, all stone and open space, and the kid was banging his utensils on the table and screeching, high pitched and without pauses.  We kept throwing dirty glares at the couple hoping they'd stop the kid, but to no avail.  I turned to my sister and loudly proclaimed "It's 1776 here, right? That means it's still legal to beat children!", at which point we were given a dirty look and the utensils were taken from the child's hands.  Of course in 1776, they wouldn't of tolerated lippy bitches like myself either! :))     

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:06:33 AM by thatGirl »
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »
It is an interesting question JMac, those blokes at Lexington had what was in their minds a very clear line that the British had crossed or at least once the shooting started it was too late to take back.

Will we be so lucky or is this going to be the death of a thousand cuts?

Who can say?

I know that I can't answer any of those questions but what I can say is that you guys need to help put this fire out. There has been no law passed nor a reaction to the tragic event at Sandy Hook. Next week is Christmas and the following is New Year, odds are this whole thing will blow over but if it doesn't having bare shelves at the gun store and thousands of firearms in the hands of untrained and inexperienced shooters doesn't look like a winner to me.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
Next week is Christmas and the following is New Year, odds are this whole thing will blow over but if it doesn't having bare shelves at the gun store and thousands of firearms in the hands of untrained and inexperienced shooters doesn't look like a winner to me.

Amen.... so time to recruit! lol  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
TG wrote:
having bare shelves at the gun store and thousands of firearms in the hands of untrained and inexperienced shooters doesn't look like a winner to me.

I hear ya' TG. That is one of the reasons I said 'O-Kay' to doing the training class in two weeks for the local gals prepping circle.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
Yeah... that is why... ;) ;)

I tease but what you are doing is the right thing JMac, by increasing the amount of folks around you who are competent with their firearms you are increasing the resistance that anyone who would try to harm you will be facing.

And it's a great excuse to get in some quality girl time!  :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:26:29 PM by thatGuy »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
Yeah and don't let my old lady or TGrl read this...Ladies and guns is pretty sexy! I chatted with Burt Gummer via email the other day and we both agree!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
Yeah and don't let my old lady or TGrl read this...Ladies and guns is pretty sexy! I chatted with Burt Gummer via email the other day and we both agree!

I agree, but she has to be able to handle it like a man in my opinion. Thats not gay.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »

What? You mean they still exist? I thought it was just an urban legend concocted by the vast rightwing conspiracy...