Author Topic: Graphite Bombs?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Graphite Bombs?
« on: October 28, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
I have not heard of this type system before.

Nemo

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/17/will-single-bomb-stop-north-korea.html

Will a single bomb stop North Korea?
By Allison Barrie, Fox News

In an instant, the entire country of North Korea would blackout … such is the power of new bombs under development in South Korea.

South Korea has announced it is building “blackout bombs.” And by doing so, the country has sent a clear message to North Korea that it has the power to “turn off the lights” throughout the country whenever South Korea chooses.

North Korea would be paralyzed. Electrical power plants would suddenly stop. Everything depending on electricity would instantly be shut off.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un would be cut off from his population and no longer able to communicate with his citizens since television and radio would be offline.

Paralyze North Korea

Without electricity, North Korean leadership, government and military would be instantly and utterly crippled.

For the North Korean military, this weapon would mean things like air defenses, radar, communication systems, transportation and much more would be unusable. There would be no military or government computers, no email and no way to transmit secure military communication.

With the runway lights shut off, it would make it very difficult for the North Korean military to mount an air force response. Hospitals, military and civilian alike, would be without critical power and rely on back-up generators – if they have them. 

‘Lights Out’ for the North Korean population

This sort of bomb would have widespread devastating effects on the North Korean population.

In modern life, many things rely on electricity. North Koreans would have no electricity, no lights, no water purification, no sewage management and with the looming freezing temperatures of winter … they would have no heating.

South Korea's Agency for Defence Development has obtained the necessary ingredients and technologies to make these graphite bombs and is ready to develop them, Yonhap news agency reported. These bombs will be one element of the Kill Chain pre-emptive strike program.

So what is a blackout bomb?

Blackout bombs are graphite bombs – they are also sometimes called “soft bombs” because they are non-lethal weapons that target electricity supply, not humans.

The electricity attack system is used to shut down an enemy’s power supply. Once unleashed, the bombs can instantly paralyze an enemy’s regime.

Making Kim Jong Un look powerless to his people

These graphite bombs have simply enormous impact.

In general, there is no real material damage. Rather than blow things up, graphite bombs short circuit the targets.

But the impact of a country suddenly going dark can be very powerful.

And while less visible, but by no means less important, these graphite bomb weapons have a major psychological impact.

Kim Jong Un hardly looks like a powerful leader to his population when another country can choose to turn his nation’s power off whenever they want to or need to.

So while attacking the electrical grid has direct impact on military capabilities, it could also put immediate and intense psychological pressure on North Korea’s leadership and its population.

How does it work?

The bombs rely on the same ingredient as the humble, everyday, ordinary pencil – graphite.

Inside the bomb is graphite filament and graphite is a highly efficient electricity conductor.

Unlike conventional explosives, graphite bombs do not strike the target and blow up.  The graphite bomb instead explodes in the air above a power plant.

When it explodes, the graphite filaments are so fine that they seem like a cloud. The bomb unleashes this cloud of graphite particles across the electricity system.

The graphite causes short circuits and electrical discharges, blowing safety devices and burning out essential parts in the electrical supply. The blackout graphite cloud can hit power plants, transformer stations, power lines and more.

The result is darkness. A nation’s electricity suddenly stops without warning. 

Is the blackout permanent?

The carbon-graphite particles can be easily brushed away. Short circuits can be removed. Blown switching stations can be replaced. But repairing the system can be costly and take time.

So a blackout is not necessarily permanent if North Korea took action to fix the power.

However, South Korea could just continue to drop graphite bombs so that every time North Korea came close to restoring power or managed to do so, the bombs would flick the nation’s switch and turn off the lights again.

But do they actually work?

Blackout bombs have been used in war already and been very successful.

They were first used by the United States in Iraq during the 1990 Gulf War. They succeeded in disabling about 85 percent of Iraq’s facilities that supplied electricity.

NATO has also deployed graphite bombs. They were used in former Yugoslavia in 1999 where they stopped about 70 percent of the national grid electricity supply.

The American version of the graphite bomb is the BLU-114/B and it works sort of like a cluster bomb. The bomb scatters many soda can-sized canisters that could be described as "sub-munitions." These canisters spray the fine carbon fiber that cause the short circuits.

The graphite bomb approach dates farther back that the Gulf War. It was under consideration during the Cold War as a possible method to defeat Soviet nuclear power plants.
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Graphite Bombs?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
First I have heard of Graphite Bombs. Interesting.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
did you know that right after the first atom bomb hit Japan in WWII, one of the stories spread was that an airplane had released a magnesium bomb - small threads of magnesium that burned in an enormous fire ball when they hit and shorted any power lines.  Any physicist of the time, at ground zero with their hands on a geiger counter, knew immediately what had happened.  (knowledge of the possibility of a nuclear bomb was wide spread by 1945 - how to build one was another problem entirely)
-
chaff and filament bombs are old news.  their capabilities well defined.  you can read news stories about mylar helium balloons causing power transmission problems.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/gilbert-breaking/2017/07/22/mylar-balloons-power-lines-trigger-outages-gilbert/502313001/
-
i have to ask a simple question.  what takes longer to rebuild?  a burnt out fuse or transformer or the foundation of a generator & mount in a power plant.  one takes a few minutes.  one takes months of hauling out rubble and repouring the foundation and replacing the generator.  one can be caused by a wayward birthday balloon and one by a big WWII era iron bomb.  either would likely result in DPRK firing its artillery at Seoul

just food for thought.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
I seem to recall Christmas tinsel "bombs" being used during Gulf War I and maybe the first days of GWII.

https://www.amazon.com/BRITE-Silver-18-Inch-Icicle-Tinsel/dp/B002SAPUNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509211680&sr=8-3&keywords=tinsel
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:46:39 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Tinsel or tinfoil shards are or were real good at causing radar problems in years past.  I don't know if that is still the case or has the technology surpassed that?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
chaff is still good at disrupting terminal guidance on a radar directed or homing missile.  ew is more common now.  The acquisition radar in war zones are having problems because harm missiles are getting better - if you leave your radar on too long you lose the entire battery.
the bombs i was refering to are spectrum denial for radio and for shutting down power distribution.  there are a couple of esoteric effects you can use them for but that isn't a common application - mostly CBRNE area denial applications.