Author Topic: Electricity  (Read 659 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Electricity
« on: August 25, 2023, 06:31:30 PM »
I've had a 10KW gas powered generator for about 20 years and it's great for running almost everything in the house when the power goes out. Therefore, I'm not going to pee on my gas powered generator. However, as time goes on, I'm growing more concerned about the availability of Gasoline when the lights go out. As a smaller backup system, I've bought what I need to create a 5 KW solar system that I can bring on line if and when gas becomes unobtainable. After loading up on several hundred AA and AAA alkaline batteries, I bought a bunch of AA, AAA, 3.4 v and 9v rechargeable lithium batteries. All my power tools are electric. It would appear that my mindset is moving away from fuel and moving more toward free solar power. Now, that doesn't mean that I'm going to go nuts and load the backyard up with more solar panels, but it does mean that I'm focusing more on free power when the lights go out.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Electricity
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 04:29:23 PM »
 :thumbsUp: PKv.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 06:47:57 AM »
Pkv, I have followed a very similar path. Solar is an amazing technology and 'Rechargeable' is the way to go for the individual, IMO. But, the dang this stuff is expensive!

Currently I have 2400 Watts, generated by two 24V x 100 Amp LiFePO4 batteries. The array is rated at 800 Watts. I'm using Victron components, with the exception of the inverter. My system is minimal and portable, but I need to add more to the bank and the array...

I've found that storm systems lasting a couple days or more, deplete the bank, and I need another power source. So, I use the grid to keep it juiced. My plan from here is to size my array enough to keep primary loads powered in the daylight hours and let the bank stay on standby as needed. But, solar alone probably isn't enough. I've looked into wind, and that may be the answer to compliment solar. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but its all new to me. Good luck with your projects.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 08:22:07 AM »
For lighting aboard the old sailboat, where I lived for years,the jump from oil/kerosine lamps to solar electric became the obvious choice, because:
1.  I cannot make more oil/kero, but CAN make more electricity.

2. Oil/kero lamps add heat and a smell that I don't always appreciate. Navigation lights are easiest to use and maintain when using electric lights.  Oil nav lights are rarely suitable anymore and in some countries are illegal.

3.  I can operate my radios and more from the small (100 A/H) solar power station, recharge my Kindle, laptop and more.

My wife recently asked about a solar back-up for the refrigerator.  I did an energy survey and the fridge uses 2.2+ KW/h of energy in a day.  That's would be a very large system.  When I showed here the estimated cost of materials alone, we decided to simply do without the fridge, should it come to that. We can pressure can, dry or immediately eat, our frozen beef if the grid dies for more than a couple of days.

Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Searchboss

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 09:58:57 AM »
I took a similar course. I have a 10Kw dual fuel generator that I bought 5 years ago that I have only run on LP gas. It will run all of the critical systems, except the A/C which my wife grumbles about.  ;D  I run it about once every six weeks or so to ensure it still works, yep, I am lazy... I have never had to use it in an emergency yet. I also have a few small solar chargers for rechargeable batteries, etc. along with a 100w portable solar panel that I use for camping and emergency backup. I want to expand my solar setup but don't want to pay what it would cost to install the type of system I really want. I found that the 100w solar panel is enough to keep the small stuff going on boondocking camping trips. I think that solar is the way to go, eventually.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
SearchBoss,

About 50% of our home is on solar (5 KW/H) and when the sun shines we love it. When it doesn't we have to hook up to the grid or generator to keep the charge above 50%. August has been awful. We are about 50% over in average rainfall.

To read about my 4.8 KW/H solar build go here. A lot of information there.  :thumbsUp:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 11:17:51 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 02:10:08 PM »
I have the grid, a generator, and a solar array. I also have a crazy idea about using a small gasoline engine connected to a car alternator to charge 12 volt batteries. Car alternators can produce from about 50 amps to 120 amps at 13.8 volts depending on which ones you buy. I have a brand new car alternator out in my tool shed and a bunch of old weed eaters. I think a weed eater engine, a pully, a fan belt, and that alternator would work pretty well for recharging batteries. All I'd have to do is mount them to a board and it would be portable. I also have an old riding lawn tractor that hasn't run in years and it has a 17.5 HP engine with a new electric starter on it. Now, that would be perfect because it already has a pully on it. I've been trying to give it away for a while but so far nobody has wanted it. Hmmm..... I have two auto mechanics in my MAG and one of those guys might be able to remove it from the tractor and get it running again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 02:12:00 PM by pkveazey »

Offline Searchboss

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 01:11:04 PM »
SearchBoss,

About 50% of our home is on solar (5 KW/H) and when the sun shines we love it. When it doesn't we have to hook up to the grid or generator to keep the charge above 50%. August has been awful. We are about 50% over in average rainfall.

To read about my 4.8 KW/H solar build go here. A lot of information there.  :thumbsUp:

Thanks JohnyMac. Great posts! That is similar to what I want to do, but not at this house. For now I am learinng  all I can and trying to figure out what I need, how much it will cost, and where I can get the materials from.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »
Cost in the end for us was ~$2k per Kw/H with me doing all the labor. Add 33% to that number for labor.  So in the real work $13-14K for a 5 Kw/H for a fully installed system. :thumbsUp:

Like everything else, add to that number inflation and if you can get all the parts, since half of it comes from China. Bottom-line, it will not get any cheaper.

My neighbor has a 10 Kw/H system ($20K) and is not happy with it. Although I told him over and over again he would not be able to accomplish what he wanted to do with the money he was willing to spend, he went with what he went with. To this day, he can not understand why his system will only give him 10 KW/H a day (when the sun shines) when his house runs at 12 Kw/H a day.  :facepalm: The system does him little good if he has to recharge his system daily with no juice in reserves for a sunless day.

My goal was to only run 3 chest freezers, 2 refrigerators, and the electric start up for my Rinnai propane hot water heater. All told, I needed $3.7 Kw/H a day. I bought a 5 Kw/H system and I am very happy with it. Even when the sun does not shine, I have enough coming in most times, to bring the system up to 90% and still power all my appliances. After several sunless days, typically 3, then I have to plug the charger into the grid or run a generator for ~ 4 hrs.

As the items in my freezers dwindle down, I consolidate and run one less appliance.

There you go.

:popcorn:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »
Your neighbor needs to learn to turn off a light or 2 dozen.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

• Committed prepper
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 12:50:58 PM »
Good grief!  He  WANTS it to do 12 KW/h+ but it's designed for ten , on A SUNNY DAY and he's irritated.  WELCOME TO REALITY, because MATH MATTERS, regardless of how you feeeeeel.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 11:47:16 AM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
"WELCOME TO REALITY, because MATH MATTERS, regardless of how feeeeeel."

Careful now, Sir.    You might be skating into dangerously racist territory with such inflammatory statements.

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2023, 11:48:51 AM »
Yes and likely its SEXIST, anti-Soviet and counter revolutionary. 

Sir John Honeybucket
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 05:42:21 PM »
Let's settle for putting it this way, Sir John...
You (and for lack of time, will skip including the usual suspects) are the PRIME reason no proper social should _ever_ leave the punchbowl unguarded.     ;-)
Happy Labor Day all.
I've a pack of 7 Griffs running rampant on the property whilst I enjoy a long nurtured, humidor ensconced cigar with my very own spiced rum for palate-cooling.
Tomorrow is the start of the rest of our lives.
Sleep well and awake of good spirit!