Author Topic: bug out truck  (Read 1215 times)

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
bug out truck
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
Ok so I have posted one project I have going on this truck with the on board air system in the DIY. I have a 1500 watt continuous inverter the is going on the truck and hope to have the time this weekend to get the parts to build an on board welder. The winch will be on the way shortly and wired and set up to run on the front or rear. So I guess my question is if you could build the ultimate bug out vehicle what would you do? FYI the truck is a 96 Chevy Tahoe 4x4.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: bug out truck
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
Maybe an FJ Cruiser or Hummer H3 would be a good starting point. Or this one....

Sharp looking truck there. Suppose to be a new version of the Colorado coming out next year, I think.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Is it a 2 door or 4 door? Id put better axles on it, lift it maybe 4 inches, slap some 35's on it with STEEL WHEELS. Alluminum shatters and steel bends. Make sure the drive train was solid. For example new clutch if its getting close to time, stainless steel brake lines, ceramic pads, high temp brake fluid (if you're evading someone nothings worse then brakes that do nothing because of heat) ive actually experienced hot brakes that had no effect at all. Blew right through a red light. One turn they worked great next time i needed them.... nothing... snorkel intake box, high lift jack, you already said winch and maybe a flat paint job like an earth tone that isnt obviously for TEOTWAWKI. 

that would be my starting point.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:37:22 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

brat

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »
Since you have a welder, might fabricate something like this that would be useful for moving water barrels or engine/trans replacement in another veh. and such.

I like the continuous inverter. Can't have too many power sources.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
Ken the flat black paint is next on the to do list. It has an automatic trans in it so no clutch.standard brake lines are more than fine. Dot 5 brake fluid is typically what people call high temp but its not always compatible with all brake systems.I was thinking a snorkel but if I need a snorkel my distributor is under water so not much need. 4 door by the way. And a lift and something closer (I hope) to 36's are in the plan.

Brat that thing looks bad ass I can see a ton of uses for it moving logs, a dead hog etc etc

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »

Toyota 4x4 Cummins 4BT - E.M.P. READY MACHINE! Rex Reviews (HD)