Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 193 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Batteries
« on: December 21, 2023, 02:20:09 AM »
When I say Batteries, I'm more or less referring to Triple A, Double A, and 9 volt. A couple of years ago, I bought a whole bunch of AAA, AA, and 9 volt alkaline batteries from Amazon. Much later, I was thinking that I should concentrate on Rechargeable batteries so I bought a bunch of the sizes that I will need for my equipment. Hmmm.... Now, what do I do with all those Alkaline batteries? I now plan to barter them away to neighbors who will be coming to my door asking if I have any batteries. If the power is out, I will be able to recharge my Lithium batteries with my 100 Watt Solar Panel charging system and small 120 volt inverter. Now that's a whole different setup from my larger Emergency Solar System for my house. While I'm on this subject, I just ordered several more of those very powerful LED flashlights and a bunch of 3.7 volt (18650) Lithium rechargeable batteries. From now on it is no more regular batteries for me.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 08:37:09 AM »
    I went that route years ago, especially since the price of rechargeable batteries has dropped so much.  I've also tried to standardize batteries, which has been difficult with optics.

Offline Searchboss

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:07:32 AM »
This is a topic that I got into myself recently. It has turned into a bit larger project than I anticipated with a large learning curve, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Many years ago I made an unsuccessful effort to switch to rechargeable batteries. In the end, I was dissatisfied with the low power available (compared to alkaline batteries) and the long time required to recharge them. It seemed that I was spending more time changing and charging batteries than it was worth. I also discovered that they would self-discharge just sitting on the shelf or in the device in between uses and were often dead when I needed them.

Fast forward to present day, I decided to try again. Battery technology has changed a lot, and now you can buy (expensive) lithium rechargeable batteries that rival or exceed the capacity of a typical alkaline. I have purchased several brands of rechargeable lithium batteries. Currently, I am testing the EBL brand (https://www.eblofficial.com/) which seems to have the most power available of the brands I have seen lately. YMMV

Chargers have also improved to the point that you can recharge most batteries very quickly. I have adopted some universal ?smart chargers? [similar to these https://batteryster.com/best-18650-battery-charger/] that work on either 110 volts or 12 volts and will quickly recharge almost any typical-sized lithium battery. Lithium batteries also retain their charge much longer than the old rechargeables.

I have recently purchased a couple of dozen lithium rechargeable batteries in various sizes such as AAA. AA, 14500 (works in single AA cell flashlights), 16340 (a rechargeable CR123A alternative), 18500 (used in various flashlights, etc.), and am currently testing them in various radios (HT?s), flashlights, and other ?camping? lights and other battery operated devices. So far the results have been encouraging. I even recharged several lithium batteries on our last campout using both a 100-watt and a smaller 20-watt solar panel just to see how long it would take each way. I was quite satisfied with the results. Overall, I am much happier with the newer rechargeable batteries than I was with the ones I tried years ago. I realize that due to the electronics included in the newer batteries and chargers there is a risk in adopting this technology, depending upon your risk assessment of what SHTF scenario might occur. Such is life. I take precautions.

I have found that some older electronic devices like a CB HT I have does not like the newer lithium batteries, but works fine on older NiMH or NiCad rechargeable batteries or on alkaline. I still have a dozen or so of various older NiMH or NiCad rechargeable batteries that I intend to use until they stop working, but I have decided that I am going to transition to lithium rechargeable batteries going forward.

Like pkveazey, I have a sizeable stock of various sizes of alkaline batteries that I intend to continue to maintain, but I am going to try to keep that inventory to a manageable level to ensure that they get used before they expire, which fortunately is a long time. They will last even longer if I am using rechargeable batteries in most devices from now on. Except for my local family of preppers (MAG), I really don?t want to become the go-to guy for batteries or recharging.

I am in the process of developing an inventory of all of my various batteries and chargers so I will know what I have and what I need. This has proven to be a tedious process, and like any active inventory, things change over time. It may be a one-time thing to develop a baseline. We shall see how long this inventory project will continue given all the other things I have going on.

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 09:58:38 AM »
Rechargeable is the way to go.  AA, AAA (I don't have much use for C and D anymore), 9V, A123 and 18650 and various coin sized batteries will come in handy.

Offline Searchboss

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 11:15:04 AM »
Rechargeable is the way to go.  AA, AAA (I don't have much use for C and D anymore), 9V, A123 and 18650 and various coin sized batteries will come in handy.

I agree! Unfortunately, I have not yet found a rechargeable replacement for coin batteries like CR1632, CR2016, or CR2023. That would be useful.

Offline Cracked Prepper

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 12:18:46 PM »
Worthwhile discussion.  I've also standardized my AA and AAA where possible, using lithium batteries.  I've been able to electrically modify some of the chargers so they run off a 12v source (such as a larger battery or car adapter), without the need for a power inverter.