Author Topic: Adaptability...in calibers  (Read 1111 times)

1000meterstare

Adaptability...in calibers
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
My buddy has a .308 bolt-action but is going to the .270.  Know why?  He can still get ammo for it.  Mebbeh it's time to ditch your favorite 9 or 45 and get a used eaa witness or (ick) glock in 10mm.  Once again, you can still get ammo for it.  Forget about 9mm, your supply chain is totally screwed right now.  The nine is nothing but a blunt club.  I also suggest the .44 mag fans go to .41 mag and the .38/.357 mag folks go to .327 mag.  30-06' fans stay where you are.  It's been more than six months since the Newtown debacle and the ammo deal hasn't eased up any that I can tell.  .22 lr, we're all kinda screwed there.  Thank gawd I'm stocked up on that... :pissed:

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
Re: Adaptability...in calibers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
My buddy has a .308 bolt-action but is going to the .270.  Know why?  He can still get ammo for it.  Mebbeh it's time to ditch your favorite 9 or 45 and get a used eaa witness or (ick) glock in 10mm.  Once again, you can still get ammo for it.  Forget about 9mm, your supply chain is totally screwed right now.  The nine is nothing but a blunt club.  I also suggest the .44 mag fans go to .41 mag and the .38/.357 mag folks go to .327 mag.  30-06' fans stay where you are.  It's been more than six months since the Newtown debacle and the ammo deal hasn't eased up any that I can tell.  .22 lr, we're all kinda screwed there.  Thank gawd I'm stocked up on that... :pissed:

So do you recall when we all used to recommend getting the common calibers that everyone else has, instead of those off calibers, so ammo will be plentiful?  Seems like it was only last year.  Never saw this one coming did we?  The bastards.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:00:39 AM »
You guys should have listened to me.  :whip:

and got a weapon in every caliber.  :dance: I haven't bought ammo in 2 months. However if I go to any gun store or chinamart

I promise you I can go home with ammo to a firearm that I have a caliber in.

Just sayin.... :pissed:
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:49:30 AM »
Reaver  :lmfao:

I'm good with what I have honestly. The only reason I'd change calibers at this point were if I were getting an amazing deal or trade up. For instance a Sig in 7.62 for equal trade with ammo or maybe a Savage .338 Lapua for $500. Ain't happening. I still fall back on common ammo. Lets face it. A lot of dumb asses will be drinking their own piss and burning gas heaters indoors (dying from carbon monoxide) when the power goes out. Meanwhile at my house  :coffeeNews:

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:41:52 AM »
Reaver  :lmfao:

I'm good with what I have honestly. The only reason I'd change calibers at this point were if I were getting an amazing deal or trade up. For instance a Sig in 7.62 for equal trade with ammo or maybe a Savage .338 Lapua for $500. Ain't happening. I still fall back on common ammo. Lets face it. A lot of dumb asses will be drinking their own piss and burning gas heaters indoors (dying from carbon monoxide) when the power goes out. Meanwhile at my house  :coffeeNews:

You can laugh all you want.

I can walk into a Walmart ( maybe not every gun store cause some are just......well damn. ) and tell the cashier dude/dudet to pick a caliber and I'm pretty positive I will have something to make it go bang.

Meanwhile  at my house.  :popcorn: Pawnstars
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:55:37 AM »
No Reaver, I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing with you. If I could do that I would, but there are other areas of my prepping I've focused on that most haven't. The only downside I see with your theory is when something happens you can only carry so many firearms on your person. Obviously you can hand them out though.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
To every ones point...

I have no problems buying 30-30, 300 Savage, 30/06 or 35 Remington and at pre2012 prices. Keep in mid that a 270 is just a 30/03 Springfield case that has been necked down to handle the 270 bullet. I have heard that folks have used 30/06 cases too but they are a tad shorter than the .270 case.

There are folks out there that make the claim that the .270 is the best all around North America big game round. I don't know as I do not own a rifle in that caliber.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Ghost

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the .30-30 round one of, if not, THE most popular round in the U.S.? Due to deer rifles, I know, but still, it might be something worth investing in due to the amount of ammunition available, and how many people have some. There will be a lot of people willing to trade ammo and their boomsticks to feed their families I think, should something happen.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
And Frosty...

The old 30-30 is versatile:

> Cast bullets in pretty much any weight,
> You can use black powder in a 30-30 load as long as it is compressed,
> There is a shit-ton of brass out there - Loaded and not.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »
WW> My apologies, I miss understood. Rock on.  :fuckYeah:

The theory of not being able to carry them all was taken in as well, Somewhere will be called home though correct? At that home will be the rest of them. The concept of having at least one of every caliber isn't to carry them all at the same time, but at the bare minimum being able to carry something AT ALL lol, Eventually the beloved 7.62x39/5.56x45 will dry up somewhat from my own stock as well as the dudes that  :suicide: themselves with their heaters in their homes.

I can make room for a box or two of ammo in my pack with the comfort to know that (pretty much within reason) I got something to carry for another not so bright and sunny day.

:cheers:

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
The common calibers like .45, 9mm, .40, .223, 7.62x39, .308 etc are good to have for post SHTF. Stocking these calibers has nothing to do with pre SHTF weekend shooting. If the common calibers are all bought up where do you think that ammo is? In the hands of Americans. Two boxes of .270  on a shelf in walmart isnt going to do much good for you post SHTF. The amount of uncommon ammo circulating isnt going to warrant stocking guns for said calibers. If your looking to sustain training ammo for common calibers, sell the funky guns and buy reloading equipment to load common calibers. Reloading will leave a second line open to potential ammo.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 10:33:16 PM »
The common calibers like .45, 9mm, .40, .223, 7.62x39, .308 etc are good to have for post SHTF. Stocking these calibers has nothing to do with pre SHTF weekend shooting. If the common calibers are all bought up where do you think that ammo is? In the hands of Americans. Two boxes of .270  on a shelf in walmart isnt going to do much good for you post SHTF. The amount of uncommon ammo circulating isnt going to warrant stocking guns for said calibers. If your looking to sustain training ammo for common calibers, sell the funky guns and buy reloading equipment to load common calibers. Reloading will leave a second line open to potential ammo.

Ill stick to training in and having as much as I can of everything. Like I said eventually the oddballs are going to be what saves.