Author Topic: A Prepper Wears Many Hats  (Read 405 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
A Prepper Wears Many Hats
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
Taking on the task of being a prepper is not just buying a few extra cans of beans to put on the shelf but a whole host of other things you must do. I like to look at these things as hats. Some of the hats are:

> Researcher,
> Logistics expert,
> News gatherer, and
> Manager.

There are other hats that I have left out purposely hoping that some of you will add to this discussion.

Lets look at the four I just highlighted.

Researcher:
In the days gone by, we didn't have to research how to grow, can and then cook food. It was taught to us by our parents. In my case my grandmother. Now a-days the many simple tasks done as part of everyday living in the past has to be researched and then relearned.

How do you can?
How do you grow enough food to last the winter in your home?
How do you fix things with parts on hand vs. driving into town for a new part?
Etcetera...

Logistics Expert:
For you military folks, you already know how important logistics are in war. What happens if the supply lines are cut as we saw in the Battle of the Bulge?

> Where is the most economical place to buy O2 absorbers?
> How do we store our preps?
> What preps do we store?
Etcetera...

News Gatherer: 
I do not trust, nor should you, news and information from just one source. I listen to and read newspapers (Yes a real news paper) from a host of news agencies. From the left...from the right...and from the middle. This helps me to funnel/ focus my thoughts and then I can plan. 

Manager:
Someone has to manage the research, logistics and news. When I write manage I do not mean you have to wear the El Jefe hat. Just manage the information flow to the group.

This is a short start to I hope, a long discussion on this subject. Take a minute to contribute concerning the hats you must wear to be a well rounded prepper or prepper group. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
Re: A Prepper Wears Many Hats
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
Trainer - someone has to keep the rest of the family/friends on the right path. My kids are terrible about about letting the cars get below half a tank of fuel. Same for T paper in the house.

Logistics management - someone has to ensure that items/foods that are used are replaced and put in the back of the rack for "oldest in the front". Gas cans full and rotated, propane tanks refilled. Meds updated and refreshed.

Entertainment - lack of power from a storm or worse. Handy to have cards, board games, prepper trivia or other trivia games and so on. Besides, it is nice to get away from the TV. Also will need movies, books, rechargeable batteries/cells charged and ready. I-pads are super entertainment centers. As items wear out, need to be replaced.

Armorer - trying out new things for qualitative improvement to the arsenal, as well as maintaining existing tools.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: A Prepper Wears Many Hats
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:20:50 PM »
Love it DMC!  :thumbsUp:

Everybody of all ages and backgrounds can play.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.