Author Topic: 55 Gallon Drums  (Read 806 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
55 Gallon Drums
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »
I picked up a couple Blue 55 gal. drums at my local feed store for 15 bucks a peice. They had farming chemical in them. I believe Iodine or something like that to put on the cows utters...? i dont know...

So anyways... I filled them with water after cleaning them out with bleach. Ill probably only use this water for cleaning etc but if im in a pinch could i boil this water and drink it? Id do it if the other option was death no matter what but imagining the worst chemical that could possibly have been in them previously, would boiling the water make it safe to drink or is there no way of knowing?

Still havent confirmed if they are food grade yet.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: 55 Gallon Drums
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
If nothing else, could always use them for fuel storage. Find a hand pump, or just the tried and true siphon method. Just a thought.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
Any products they use on cows for milk have to be safe for humans in the quantities that they use them in.
Do you have a msds or a product name?

In the worst case i'd cycle alot of water though them and let them dry completely every once in awhile.
sic luceat lux

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
Any products they use on cows for milk have to be safe for humans in the quantities that they use them in.
Do you have a msds or a product name?

In the worst case i'd cycle alot of water though them and let them dry completely every once in awhile.

No msds or deffinate name of product. The feed store sells them so people can cut them in half for livestock to drink out of. If they allow the animals to drink from them it cant be THAT bad right?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:21:27 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
The facts that the labels have been removed, and they were only $15/ea. leads me to be a little suspicious.  I've usually seen similar sized food grade barrels going for 50-100 dollars each. 

But on the other hand, whatever contaminant might be present probably won't kill you......... too fast.  :-\
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Ya like i said its for non drinking purposes unless i run out of drinking water. In that case i think dehydration will kill me a lot faster then a possible dilluted 1/1,000,000,000,000 Of some unknown chemical. Just figured id get some talking going on this. These same drums are going for around $50 plus shipping online. Brand new of course.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:27:16 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »
animals generaly are resistant to different things. One thing to remember too, a cow has a bigger body weight and a bigger liver. which in turn can resist alot more.
sic luceat lux

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
animals generaly are resistant to different things. One thing to remember too, a cow has a bigger body weight and a bigger liver. which in turn can resist alot more.

Well bigger animals would also be taking in more of the chemical. A 100lb man isnt in more danger then a 300lb man. But ya animals are more resistant to certain things thats true. Im deffinatly not going to bet all my money on being able to drink anything a goat can.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »
Ken,
Home Depot has a kit that will test drinking water. I think it's around $15- yes pricy but piece of mind is worth $$$$.

Some University's have departments that will check drinking water for practically nothing. One of them is Penn State. I bet ya' there are a bunch in Ca.

Good luck.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »
Ken,
Home Depot has a kit that will test drinking water. I think it's around $15- yes pricy but piece of mind is worth $$$$.

Some University's have departments that will check drinking water for practically nothing. One of them is Penn State. I bet ya' there are a bunch in Ca.

Good luck.

Awesome JM i knew youd chime in with the ticket.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »
take em down to  the car wash and power wash the insides out with bleach

[url=http://www.freesmileys.or
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
 [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co Ken.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
Hey ken. When it comes to chemicals in the water, boiling wont cut it. It would have to be charcoal filtered after being boiled. $15is a great deal, but i would really need to know where the drums came from. Good luck bro
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:56 AM »
I don't know if this can help anybody, but. Skip to 102 into video, the guy rattles on until then.

Also:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:46:12 AM by hjmoosejaw »

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
What have you decided to fill it with?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
Right now they are filled with chlorinated water. Contaminated waters better then nothing for now. Although i did clean my garage for a project. Those two drums have been looking more and more useless.  I could use one to hold used automobile fluids though.
Simplicity Is Ideal...