Author Topic: 150 Years Ago Today - The Gettysburg Address  (Read 1705 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
150 Years Ago Today - The Gettysburg Address
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »
As most of are aware that 150 years ago today President Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address. It is considered by many to be one of the finest American speeches ever given.

Here is the program agenda:

Music, by Birgfeld's Band[11] ("Homage d'uns Heros" by Adolph Birgfeld)
    Prayer, by Reverend T.H. Stockton, D.D.
    Music, by the Marine Band ("Old Hundred"), directed by Francis Scala
    Oration, by Hon. Edward Everett ("The Battles of Gettysburg")
    Music, Hymn ('Consecration Chant') by B.B. French, Esq., music by Wilson G Horner, sung by
    Baltimore Glee Club
    Dedicatory Remarks, by the President of the United States
    Dirge ("Oh! It is Great for Our Country to Die", words by James G. Percival, music by Alfred
    Delaney), sung by Choir selected for the occasion
    Benediction, by Reverend H.L. Baugher, D.D.[9]

The Honorable Edward Everett gave a two hour speech which was followed shortly by President Lincoln's 2 minute speech.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that this nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

As you go about your day, take a minute or two and think about these words.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
Re: 150 Years Ago Today - The Gettysburg Address
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
A great speech, but take it with a grain of salt. This was the president who suspended Habeas Corpus, and ordered other executive actions that mirror the extent of actions taken by current presidents, actions that pro-Constitutionalists now oppose vehemently. In a way, he set the foundations for the overreaching federal government we currently "enjoy" and which we are very concerned will spell the end of the republic within our lifetimes.

Andrew Napolitano makes the case better than I do. Lincoln was a very good politician - manipulative, power-hungry, and very intelligent. Talk about watching what the left hand is doing while the right is acting out, Lincoln used the Gettysburg Address and the Emancipation Proclamation to sensationalize the Union side of the war, alienate Great Britain from the Confederacy and thus guarantee the Confederacy's downfall, and lend an air of legitimacy to an unconstitutional assault of the federal government on states that, under the U.S. Constitution, were allowed to secede voluntarily as they chose, just as they voluntarily chose to join the U.S.

The extent to which Lincoln changed the dynamics of the republic (or former republic, I should say) in the mid 19th century, is very comparable to the extent which Roosevelt altered the roles of the federal government in the 1930's/1940's, and in which Clinton, the Bushes and Obama have changed the dynamics of the smoldering remains of that republic in the 1990's - 2000's. To look on Lincoln as one of the greatest presidents in U.S. history, is comparable to looking at Bush, Jr. or Obama in the same light.

I hate that his speech was tainted because it came from him. He was right, in that the world will remember what those men did there. Gettysburg was the last hope and gasp of a desperate, floundering, infant nation (not dissimilar to an early 19th century U.S.) to secure its independence from an overbearing foreign power that would not leave it alone. After the battle, the Confederacy was unable to regain the strength it needed to meet all the threats of Union armies and defend its sovereignty, eventually forced to capitulate, free states forcibly subdued by an overbearing federal government.

In all fairness, though, Jefferson Davis also implemented executive actions in the Confederacy to support the war effort, actions that Governor Joseph Brown of Georgia opposed vigorously and which caused Brown to consider getting Georgia to secede from the Confederacy.

Alex1992

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
If I recall from history class and forgive me if I'm wrong, Lincoln didn't know what to write or even say for the speech and he decided at the last minute to write and maybe add a couple things. He was afraid that the speech would be bad. I'll tell you what if that story is true he made one of the greatest speeches in American History. Now if I'm wrong forgive me this is a story I got from American History in the 8th grade which was 7 years ago so a few things might be wrong.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
If I recall from history class and forgive me if I'm wrong, Lincoln didn't know what to write or even say for the speech and he decided at the last minute to write and maybe add a couple things. He was afraid that the speech would be bad. I'll tell you what if that story is true he made one of the greatest speeches in American History. Now if I'm wrong forgive me this is a story I got from American History in the 8th grade which was 7 years ago so a few things might be wrong.

IIRC, I was taught that Lincoln actually made his speech en route to the battlefield. However, in looking for other sources just to make sure, I found this. Apparently, he prepared it well in advance, making several different versions.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
And then President Obama is not attending the 150 year anniversary of Lincolns address.
WASHINGTON, Oct. 31 (UPI) -- U.S. President Barack Obama has declined an invitation to the 150th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on Nov. 19.

Gettysburg officials invited Obama to attend the ceremony to commemorate Lincoln's famous 1863 address, the York (Pa.) Dispatch reported Thursday.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/10/31/Obama-not-attending-Gettysburg-Address-ceremony/UPI-26141383246350/

Didn't President Obama announce his candidacy in the same town (Springfield, IL) as Lincoln did? Didn't Obama trace Lincoln's train trip from IL to Washington D.C. leading up to his first inauguration like Lincoln? Hasn't the main stream press been comparing Obama to Lincoln? Doesn't the Obama Presidency complete the 150 year cycle from being a slave country to today?

Just interesting...

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
An interesting quote from H.L. Mencken. I just read it today, and thought it was interesting. It encompasses my own feelings regarding the Gettysburg Address, but in a much more succinct way. There's a reason I'm not famous, and H.L. Mencken is.

The Gettysburg speech was at once the shortest and the most famous oration in American history…the highest emotion reduced to a few poetical phrases. Lincoln himself never even remotely approached it. It is genuinely stupendous. But let us not forget that it is poetry, not logic; beauty, not sense. Think of the argument in it. Put it into the cold words of everyday. The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination — that government of the people, by the people, for the people, should not perish from the earth. It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
Interesting perspective. As we read in the idiomatic saying, "History is written by the victors."  ;)

Alex1992

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

IIRC, I was taught that Lincoln actually made his speech en route to the battlefield. However, in looking for other sources just to make sure, I found this. Apparently, he prepared it well in advance, making several different versions.
Oh ok thanks for letting me know