Author Topic: $10k and a moving plan  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
$10k and a moving plan
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »
So i liked the response i got in the 10 items thread so i figured id reach back out to the UP community.

I contacted my retirement plan provider. To bring you up to speed its a failing system so hoping it will exsist in 30 years when im old enough to retire is out of the question. So i found out if i dumped my retirement today id have $10,000 in hand. To do this i must no longer be employed with the city of course. Many of you may already know i want out of CA.

Id like to hear ideas of how i can escape CA with these funds. How would you do it? Should i keep saving up? I want to go to a snowy state with loose gun laws. I was thinking Idaho but am open to others. I could tent camp it for a year on that much money while i try to get established.... Not ideal but hey...

Maybe youve got a spare cabin your lookin to sell for 10k?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:30:06 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: $10k and a moving plan
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
Here's a suggestion and it's long winded as is my style...

1) Find three states you would like to live in and what area's of those states. Make sure you visit those states not
     for a day or two but 2-3 times at a week at a time.
2) Figure out what you can do work wise there.
3) Take your $$$$ and leave and move into an apartment in the area you would like to live in- Don't touch your
     money!
4) Work like a coolie (Can you say that?) and put every dime you can in the bank for 6 months. While working like
     a coolie, look for some property - If it has a house great BUT that should not be a deal breaker. If after 6
     months you could add another $10K to your stash you could buy a chunk of land, with a loan, with 20 - 40%
    down. So that means you could buy a chunk of land for $50 - 100K.
5) If there is no house buy a 20' x 20' wood shed, insulate it, add a shower in one corner, add a wood stove,
    etc. If you do it right it will cost you $5K total.
6) Go back to working like a coolie and put the money away with the idea that you were going to:
    a) Pay off the loan on the property, and or
    b) Buy a cabin kit to build a real house.

Another twist: We have a forum member (1000Meter) who is making good $$$$ in North Dakota. There are a shit-ton of jobs there and you can make good money. Better money than where your newly purchased property will be in a job. You could do much of what I wrote above faster with a higher income.

Last, if I was a 25 something, and wasn't involved with a lady; I would do exactly what I described above. What a cool 3-5 year adventure!  :fuckYeah:

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:07 PM »
Truthfully? $10k isn't much in today's economy, but you do need to GTFO of California. If it were me?

#1 Talk to 1KM. Dennis is a stand up guy. He may not be able to find you a job where he's at, but he can point you in the right direction. Those flat plains are practically beginning for a long distance shooter  ;)

#2 Find a prepping group. May take a minute, but I've seen more people looking for investors of like minds to go in on property. If you find yourself in those shoes be sure if you're investing to set up a corporation on the property.

#3 Become a mountain man. Literally. Pioneer it up and figure out what you need bare minimum to survive. A small lot of land, small building with the basics, a good field with lots of light for growing, and call it a day.

#4 Wwoof it. http://www.wwoofusa.org/

#5 Leave the country, but I don't see that making you much safer unless you find a small middle of nowhere location.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
Thanks for the input gentlemen i appreciate the detail of your posts.

I would be pretty open to the idea of mtn manning it. Thats why i asked if anyones got a shitty cabin theyre sellin.

10k isnt much is right.

Id like to leave CA, but the more i think about the hassle of it all, the risk, leaving all family and friends behind... For what? The ability to carry a gun? When the SHTF there are no laws... Im seemingly abandoning everything i know so i can have a couple years of homesick and freedom? Im all over the place on this topic. Lol
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
"A Journey starts with the first step and is completed one step at a time" Some Chinese saying that JohnyMac has stolen and made his.

Go to Idaho for a vacation and sleep in a tent as you first said you were going to do. If you do not you will kick yourself in the butt somewhere down the road.

I have my opinion (Shocker there) on family's, freedom, lawlessness and the unbelievable amount of people that will pray on each other in Southern California when (not if) the collapse happens.

Focus on your first step...O-Kay? 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
I dont know now... Im going to have to put a pin in this dream for now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:23:33 AM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »
It's okay to step back and re-calculate things. At least you recognize the pros and cons of your situation.  :thumbsUp:

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
I dont know now... Im going to have to put a pin in this dream for now.

Don't throw in the towel already man. You just need to think it through a bit more. It's a major decision. It's not like you're just taking out of your retirement. You're planning your future. The issue I think a lot of us have is which future reality we're going to be living. Too many seem to think we'll all be in our 60's and 70's playing golf everyday, living in a 5 bedroom, 5 bathroom estate, with a 21 year old model we met on a cruise.

Maybe that's a bit on an exaggeration, but you get what I mean. Living modestly doesn't mean being poor. We're dealing with major inflation as is. Let me put it this way. Four or five acres of land. A small two story building, or cabin kit with the basics: well water, wood burning stove, insulation, wood paneling, a little carpet and some tile. What more do you need? I've been considering something like that for my family of three. You can do it, but it's going to take time and planning.

#1 Figure out where you want to go.
#2 Start looking in to the housing and land market. My favorite sites to check out are landandfarm.com and zillow.com
#3 Start researching local small building companies. Price out a small building or cabin. And calculate in the cost of what you NEED.
#4 Look for work or figure out a source of income.
#5 Make it happen.

While doing this consider the life you live now and the life you want to live. Is there dross you can sell to help make it happen?
What kind of growing seasons are you looking for?
Do you want livestock?

Food for thought man, but don't put it on the shelf just yet. Hate to see you stuck out there.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »
I dont have a wife or kids. What i do have is a brother and a best friend. If i leave them behind then theres no point in going. I thought i could but thinking through this more its a sorry exsistance to be alone and leave behind all your loved ones in a place your fleeing because its too dangerous.

Could any of you abandone your family in hopes of surviving alone? I thought the point of prepping was to protect your family? No theres no way im leaving. Im glad i posted this though.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »
No worries Ken...It was a good exercise. Also, I hope that you know that there are a bunch of folks out there that like you and want the best for you. Friends are more valuable then gold!  :cheers:

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Ken, you could still figure out a BOL, even if your staying in Cali. Then you still are nearby your family and friends. And when SHTF, then you can take them to the BOL. Love it when a plan comes together.  :thumbsUp:

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »
Agreed to both of you  :thumbsUp:
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Ghost

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
I'd go live with 1000Meter personally. That'd be pretty cool I think. I need to visit some of you guys sometime come to think of it. Anyway, back on topic..

I totally agree with Crudos, at least for the time being. If you can get a job and get some decent money, with enough to save up to set yourself up with a good BOL, then by all means go with that. That's what I'd do, especially with me being so close to so many family members (we're almost like one of those old Scottish Clans really), so I feel where you're coming from on that aspect.

But, I'm sure you'll come up with the best option that'll suit your needs, which is what really matters, and you know that us on here are always ready and waiting to help out a fellow member when they need it.

Cheers buddy!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »
Thanks Crudos
Simplicity Is Ideal...

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
A lot of sound wisdom above. Yeah Ken, sometimes (more often than not) what we'd like to do, and what we can do, isn't the same thing. I still have thoughts of being a mountain man. (maybe when my youngest is on her own, one year) Just play it by ear, and if the time ever comes, you'll know what to do. Good Luck!

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 01:08:01 AM »
I feel ya on this one Ken. I would love to move to Washington state. But im married with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. I remember when i was in my twenties and had the ability to roll out with my jeep and a couple of duffle bags and just go where i wanted. Ur getting some solid advice from some guys who have allot of experience. I guess my contribution to their advice is this. your a young guy, and now is the time you can afford to take the big risk. you can fall on your ass and still recover quickly. Good luck with this one man, Im rooting for you. :cheers:
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

1000meterstare

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 10:49:56 PM »
Ken, you are right, but 10k IS enough to get you out of the state.  There's all kinds of high-paying work here, especially for contractors or maintenance peeps for one of the oil companies.  The railroad is screaming for people, too, and they pay like 27 bucks an hour to start.  The joke here is if you have a pulse you have a good job. :zombie1:

1000meterstare

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
PM me if you have any questions.  ND jobs.com

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 01:05:19 AM »

Id like to leave CA, but the more i think about the hassle of it all, the risk, leaving all family and friends behind... For what? The ability to carry a gun? When the SHTF there are no laws... Im seemingly abandoning everything i know so i can have a couple years of homesick and freedom? Im all over the place on this topic. Lol

I lived in the NYC area my entire life. About 5 years ago I moved out to AZ, and I did it with only about 10k in the bank, the cost of living in other states will be significantly less than in CA.

I don't miss my former home for the most part. My family, what's left of them, visits me here, although I find myself frustrated in my attempts to get them to get out before it's too late.

Also, think of all the people in the past who left their homelands to come to America to be free, that's essentially what you are doing.
It's better to have it and not need it ...

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 01:28:12 AM »
My 2 cents:

I know you said you wanted to move to a cold climate... but you should take into consideration the lower cost of living to be found in the southeast, and also better state economies.  Your $10k will go further there.  Just sayin.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:30:04 AM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 03:32:45 AM »
I live in the snow belt up here in N.W. Pa. Believe me, snow sucks after a while. I use to like it, but the older you get, and the more you have to deal with it, the more it SUCKS!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 07:04:26 AM »
In 1980, my wife and I picked up everything and moved from the Philly area to Seattle, WA. Didn't have a job and only $3k in our pocket.

We would go back to Philly every other year. My wife's parents would fly out to Seattle every year for a week. My mom and step dad would fly out to Seattle the years we didn't fly home.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »
Whatever happened to just goin for it? Im over here overthinking it. I use to be able to quit a job at the drop of a hat. I really need to nutt up, get a plan and do it.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
You will in your own time. Please go camping as you planned though.  :)

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
Whatever happened to just goin for it? Im over here overthinking it. I use to be able to quit a job at the drop of a hat. I really need to nutt up, get a plan and do it.

Yeah, we all use to do things at the drop of a hat Ken. lol As time goes by, your options can get more limited. How young, or old, of a man are ya? If you don't mind me asking.