Author Topic: Waterproof iPhone case  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
Waterproof iPhone case
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
Since you're all outdoors more than most, a waterproof phone case is probably a lot more useful than it would be for other people. My wife bought me this case a few years back, and it worked, but was fragile...dropped once and a membrane separated making it useless for keeping the phone dry. It looks like they made some major improvements to the case lately. (http://www.lifeproof.com/en/iphone/)

Anyway, long story short...I have had a cracked screen for over a year and finally got around to buying a new phone. The old one still works, so that means I can toss the old one into the case and beat the shit out of it and see how it holds up. I'll be posting a detailed review shortly. Let me know if you'd like to see any particular type of abuse.  :cowboy:

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
Re: Waterproof iPhone case
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
oh, oh!  Wade into a lake with it in your front shorts pocket and fly fish for 10 minutes before realizing that you didn't leave your iphone on the shore.

Seems like a good test, don't ask me where my inspiration came from. LOL
---
"Do nothing which is of no use."  - Miyamoto Musashi
Gal 5:19-21 -God

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
LOL! Here in Florida, I am less worried about my iPhone than my own life while walking into a lake.   ;)

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »
I will drop it into the deep end of a pool, so we can get some clear video of what happens, and I'll probably do a few drop tests, but the latter will not be 100% accurate since the screen is already cracked. I'm open to other ideas too though.

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
I've heard they have improved much.  They had a flaw on the initial iPhone5 cases that didn't allow sound to pass but fixed it pretty fast.  How a flaw like that goes into production is beyond me.

I will likely get one for my iPhone 5S or 6 when I get one, if I do.
---
"Do nothing which is of no use."  - Miyamoto Musashi
Gal 5:19-21 -God

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
Run it through the washing machine. Not that I've ever done that before.  Or dropped it in a snowbank.  ;)
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:10 AM »
DVC?yeah, they pretty much sucked at first. They look much better built these days. We'll soon see.  ;)

Witch?great idea! That will be a good one!

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
Run it through a washer/dryer cycle. My wife brags how her old Nokia has survived multiple drops, washer/dryers, etc., and still works fine.