Author Topic: Watches, I need a new one, but which one?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Watches, I need a new one, but which one?
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
My old Timex Marlin (from the late 80's) finally gave up the ghost. Need a rugged, modern watch, but isn't going to require a second mortgage. But not so cheap, that it breaks at the first hard bump. Could be all-digital, or old-school watch face. Don't need all sorts of timers. Have noticed they have digital compasses on some, and that might be handy. A minute hand for your thoughts?  :)

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: Watches, I need a new one, but which one?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
[sarcasm] Well, there's this awesome EMP proof watch:

[/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:09:06 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Great idea, unless it's cloudy, or night, or underwater, or in my missile silo.  ;D

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
These range around $120 depending on what model you get. I kinda like them as the feature would make it an awesome survival watch but at the sametime it would be useless in an EMP event. The Casio PATHFINDER series.

http://www.protrek.casio.com/

Sorry if its too pricey dont really know wht your price range is.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »
Thanks DS, nice looking watches, but definitely on my high end of cost. Will check them out though.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
I remember SEARS selling them when they first came out and im not sure but some may have been going for $85-$95. Maybe if you shop around the net youll find one pretty cheap. Sometimes people just wanna sell them or have no idea how much they are really worth.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
The bad/housing finally broke this last year on the watch that my little brother got me for xmas some years ago so I was in the same place as you.  I looked around at many different watches and finally came to one conclusion...

I could spend $120 bucks on a really nice watch that I would be pissed if something happened to in 6 months

or

Spend $10 a pop on 2 box store specials that get the job done and I don't have to worry about them getting fucked up.  Had this one I am wearing now for at least 6 months now and it is still ticking away lol
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
Check out the Timex Camper

I've been rocking one for a year or more now and it's bomb proof. I scratched the lens the first week I had it and have worn it smooth again  :P

It will get water in the case if I am doing something like washing dishes with it on but it doesn't effect it's function one bit and the band which I find to be the weak link on a watch as lasted the whole time. I became accustomed to blowing bands on watches to the point of keeping a spare set of pins and a band handy but not with this one. It damn near broke my wrist when I fell with it on!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:58:16 PM by thatGuy »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Like you TG, I am a firm believer on not spending a lot of $$$ on a everyday watch. I am also becoming a believer in owning seven $100- cars rather than one $700- car.

I have a Timex Expedition which I bought in 2005. I have had to replace the strap a few times and the battery once but it has served me well since then. Picked mine up at Cabel's Bargain Cave for $20-.

Did a quick google and it's still around. At Walmarts it is going for $36- http://www.walmart.com/ip/2400618?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227001124879&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13682158030&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Maybe I will pick up another one to have as a spare.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

1000meterstare

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
Sportsman's guide has GI-style watches for the cheap.  I have one, the are very durable.  Sometimes they have "two for" sales.  They come in black and olive drab.  They aren't very flashy or elegant, but I guess the whole point of SHTF is to blend in. :))

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
I've had a couple of watches that stored phone numbers. I liked that feature, it came in handy a lot. One stored 20 #s and the other stored 50#s.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
The bad/housing finally broke this last year on the watch that my little brother got me for xmas some years ago so I was in the same place as you.  I looked around at many different watches and finally came to one conclusion...

I could spend $120 bucks on a really nice watch that I would be pissed if something happened to in 6 months

or

Spend $10 a pop on 2 box store specials that get the job done and I don't have to worry about them getting fucked up.  Had this one I am wearing now for at least 6 months now and it is still ticking away lol

I'm the same way. I wear a cheapo standard analog watch and just buy another when the current one dies and/or gets fucked up. my opinion is to just buy a dozen cheapo's and a pile of spare batteries. GTG for years.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »
Just get a Casio G-Shock, those are cheap and good

http://www.gshock.com/

I own this one since a few years and I'm very happy with it

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/DW5600MS-1
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:53:26 PM by APX808 »

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »

If I ever had $170 bucks to throw around!

There is a lot of really neat things you can do with a G-shock watch.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »
LMAO APX, if you call 100 bones cheap... I got this bridge for sale, dirt cheap...  ;D
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!