Author Topic: SureFire 2211  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
SureFire 2211
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
SureFire 2211 Tactical WristLight

Thoughts?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
Re: SureFire 2211
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
Looks like it would be good for that new job of yours.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
I've been known to attach one of my headlamps to my wrist (princeton-tec, enegeizer,etc.) by adjusting and doubling-over the headband.  By using a standard headlamp, I get the benefits of being able to adjust the angel of the beam, using standard batteries, and the ability to put it on my head if needed...not to mention, I'd imagine that any of my headlamps cost less than anything made by Surefire.

....But on second thought, if you've really got to have something that 'looks' professional for your job, you might want to go with the Surefire.

EDIT:  Surefire 2211 = 200 lumens,  Princeton-Tec Eos = 80 lumens. 
Yeah, I'm starting to see the advantage of the 2211.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:29:13 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
I love happy endings.   :-X

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
That is multiple levels of weakness,

First, both hands are committed to activating the unit. Being on the wrist I could see it breaking off like a watch in a physical altercation or potentially turning off the light.

Second, if you look at the modified FBI hold and compare it to the Chapman, Harries, Ayoob or Rogers hold (this light mimics these holds) you will notice that while being a more difficult hold to master it provides one real benefit. You're not providing an indicator for incoming fire.

So my thoughts are that no one needs this product, plain and simple. Get a regular handheld SureFire and train with the FBI hold.

And stay Frosty...  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:35:11 PM by thatguy »

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
@TG   
I think the point of a wrist light is to be a convenient back-up.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
I love happy endings.   :-X
He could've given them a ride home and not leave mother and child on a dimly lite sidewalk. Just saying....  ;D

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »
That is multiple levels of weakness,

First, both hands are committed to activating the unit. Being on the wrist I could see it breaking off like a watch in a physical altercation or potentially turning off the light.

Second, if you look at the modified FBI hold and compare it to the Chapman, Harries, Ayoob or Rogers hold (this light mimics these holds) you will notice that while being a more difficult hold to master it provides one real benefit. You're not providing an indicator for incoming fire.

So my thoughts are that no one needs this product, plain and simple. Get a regular handheld SureFire and train with the FBI hold.

And stay Frosty...

Me and a guy at work debate the FBI hold from time to time. Its my opinion that id rather focus all of my energy on my abilitys to stop the bad guy rather then bet on him being a good or bad shot to aim for my light and hit it. you could just as easily end up shot because you held the light away from your body and he was a poor shot (most bad guys are) and the bullet hit no where near the light... incidently where you actually were.

Its kind of like the thinking behind using a light on a rifle when clearing buildings. yes the bad guy can see right where to aim. BUT you must illuminate him in order to hit him so you have no choice. If the lights showing the bad guy where to aim then arent you seeing where to aim also?

Focus on what you can do to stop the bad guy infront of your light. No need to worry about if he might aim for your light. Just shoot already. Just my opinion though.

Sorry for semi derailment.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »
In the dark, he who knows where his enemy is first, wins.  How many times have we proven that?  My advice would be unless you are chasing someone, leave the light off until you hear a noise that indicates direction.  The whole idea of searching with the light in your hand or on your rifle turned on is just an open invitation for an ambush.  Patience will keep you alive while a flick of your bic will get you killed.  Everyone's got an opinion don't they? : )

Another consideration:  night vision beats light vision. 

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:14:11 PM »
In the dark, he who knows where his enemy is first, wins.  How many times have we proven that?

Can you expand on this? I dont know of any times this has been proven so im interested.

But let me also say using a light to see where the bad guy is dosent imply he saw you first. especially in close quarters. With that said i wouldnt run towards where a bad guy went or just patrol out in the open with a light on. for one your night visions fucked and for two he just has to avoid that light hitting him in order to stay hidden.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:17:03 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
In the dark, he who knows where his enemy is first, wins.  How many times have we proven that?

Can you expand on this? I dont know of any times this has been proven so im interested.

But let me also say using a light to see where the bad guy is dosent imply he saw you first. especially in close quarters. With that said i wouldnt run towards where a bad guy went or just patrol out in the open with a light on. for one your night visions fucked and for two he just has to avoid that light hitting him in order to stay hidden.

Expand?  OK.  Gulf 1, Gulf 2, or the slogan "we own the night".  There may be situations where someone is being paid to go searching around for bad guys with a light, poor bastards.  But I don't think that applies to many here.  Here I'm thinking survival and being the last standing out of a group of none prepared, hulagan type thieves looking to survive at the expense of my preparations.  I'm thinking I'll be more successful following the lead of the character Ninja Warrior than John Rambo if you catch my meaning.  But like I said earlier, everyone has an opinion and is welcome to follow it.   

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:01:01 PM »

Expand?  OK.  Gulf 1, Gulf 2, or the slogan "we own the night".  There may be situations where someone is being paid to go searching around for bad guys with a light, poor bastards.  But I don't think that applies to many here.  Here I'm thinking survival and being the last standing out of a group of none prepared, hulagan type thieves looking to survive at the expense of my preparations.  I'm thinking I'll be more successful following the lead of the character Ninja Warrior than John Rambo if you catch my meaning.  But like I said earlier, everyone has an opinion and is welcome to follow it.   

So essentially these examples all took place out in relatively open areas as if they were out spotlighting for deer? I realize everyone has an opinion and i want to hear how you arrived at YOURS so i can compare notes and see if i want to change mine or not. Im trying to pick your brain sir.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:03:32 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »

So essentially these examples all took place out in relatively open areas as if they were out spotlighting for deer? I realize everyone has an opinion and i want to hear how you arrived at YOURS so i can compare notes and see if i want to change mine or not. Im trying to pick your brain sir.

Sir?  Gimme a break Ken.  Friggin' trying to make feel old or what? : )  I arrived at my conclusion by analyzing it.  Outdoors or indoors doesn't matter in that equation.  Light draws the eye at night.  Unless the person with the flashlight is lucky enough to shine it directly on his opponent (target) right off the bat he is putting himself in a situation I personally would not want to be in.  If I'm his target, be he bad guy or good guy, when I see his light or a reflection of it coming through a door or down a hallway I'm smiling because my odds just went way up in comparison to his.

Getting away from the light issue, if he has night vision and I, as his target, don't.  I'd better be damn lucky because the prognosis isn't looking too good for my team.  But that said, good luck has won a hell of a lot of fights that statistically should have gone the other way.  But it's not a good idea to place your bets that way.   

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »

Sir?  Gimme a break Ken.  Friggin' trying to make feel old or what? : )  I arrived at my conclusion by analyzing it.  Outdoors or indoors doesn't matter in that equation.  Light draws the eye at night.  Unless the person with the flashlight is lucky enough to shine it directly on his opponent (target) right off the bat he is putting himself in a situation I personally would not want to be in.  If I'm his target, be he bad guy or good guy, when I see his light or a reflection of it coming through a door or down a hallway I'm smiling because my odds just went way up in comparison to his.

Getting away from the light issue, if he has night vision and I, as his target, don't.  I'd better be damn lucky because the prognosis isn't looking too good for my team.  But that said, good luck has won a hell of a lot of fights that statistically should have gone the other way.  But it's not a good idea to place your bets that way.

OK I gotcha Sledge.

Ive played with some pretty nice NV myself and in my opinion id only trust it to track down a bad guy in a silent manner. Sound coupled with your normal naked eyes night vision locates a person in the dark better then a guy running around relying on his NV device to spot the bad guy. And youll still probably have to turn on a gunlight once you do spot him with the NV (unless youve got some fancy gun mounted setup).

Ill give an example. It might not be the best but with a border patrol friend we played hide and go seek with ghillie suits and NV with the "Hider" having 5 checkpoints to retrieve flags from In a dry river bed with natural vegitation spaced out here and there. Even with known points he HAD to show up at and a boundry he HAD to stay within (a square about 300 yards X 300 yards) it was damn hard to locate him. At some points i would sit there for 10 minutes staring directly at him silently hoping hed move so i could confirm it was him from 30 yards away and 2X magnification without moving out in the open to give away my position. A lot of times i still relied heavily on sound for locating a general area. Long story short he could have killed me 5000 times over. And i realise the ghillie suit made it much harder to locate him. But that was also a very confined area with no stress of being killed if i didnt see him before he saw me. 

So my point is if your on the move looking for a known bad guy in the area, NV isnt going to help you survive a bad guy hiding in the bushes listening and locating you with his naked eye. Your still kind of screwed. Best bet would be sit still and wait for him to make noise or just get the hell out of there. Now im not saying NV isnt awesome but its more of a "see them before they know you exist" type tool in my opinion. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:20:23 AM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »
wtf did the kid need that flash light for?  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:10 AM »
I kind of agree with Sledge, but I understand Kennies point as well.
I personally don't have a need for this thing unless its uber cheap or free. The only real use I can think of for this thing is like, fixing my truck or something. Maybe in use inside a tent or camper.

But tactically speaking. No way dudes. My opinion.  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
Ken, I'm not disagreeing with you at all and I do see valid points in your opinions.  I look at this from a point of view of survival when dealing with bad guys or rogues if tshtf ever occurs.  I keep a simple philosophy to survival and fighting.   When at all possible pick your fights, pick your time and place.  If you haven't picked the time and place then your opponent has and you need to withdraw unless you are fortified and can defend.  Use a light or don't in the situation that you've picked depending on whether it gives you the advantage.  For instance being in the dark with an ambush plan in  motion.   I can see where suddenly blinding your opponent with light could give you an advantage.

In my opinion the point is to survive and using your wits and intelligence to do so.  A light is just a tool which can be used or not depending on whether you think it provides an advantage in a given situation.   In some instances it could, in others it would be a disadvantage. 

I don't think there will be too much that is a hard and fast rule if tshtf ever occurs.  I could be wrong.  I hope not because I'm going with the adapt and overcome attitude put forth by some of our Marine friends when it comes to my and my family's survival.   

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
Ken, I'm not disagreeing with you at all and I do see valid points in your opinions.  I look at this from a point of view of survival when dealing with bad guys or rogues if tshtf ever occurs.  I keep a simple philosophy to survival and fighting.   When at all possible pick your fights, pick your time and place.  If you haven't picked the time and place then your opponent has and you need to withdraw unless you are fortified and can defend.  Use a light or don't in the situation that you've picked depending on whether it gives you the advantage.  For instance being in the dark with an ambush plan in  motion.   I can see where suddenly blinding your opponent with light could give you an advantage.

In my opinion the point is to survive and using your wits and intelligence to do so.  A light is just a tool which can be used or not depending on whether you think it provides an advantage in a given situation.   In some instances it could, in others it would be a disadvantage. 

I don't think there will be too much that is a hard and fast rule if tshtf ever occurs.  I could be wrong.  I hope not because I'm going with the adapt and overcome attitude put forth by some of our Marine friends when it comes to my and my family's survival.   

I totally agree. Just a tool that should be used only as needed. Some times you cant avoid using it. other times using it will kill you.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
seems like a nifty little accessory. I agree with those of you who talked about choosing a shooting style that's right for you and practicing that style. Nobody needs to conform to the school of thought that someone else arbitrarily decided was "correct".

wristlight - is it practical for EDC? I really don't think so. (it's not like you're going to plan the date of your encounter with a BG) and I sure as hell aint walking around every day with some goofy flashlight on my wrist. BUT!!!! if you work in dangerous situations, or have a reason to believe that you may run into trouble, it could be a nifty little precaution.

There are lots of variables to consider when buying a specialized accessory like this one. I know for a fact that SureFire aint cheap. So the first question you should ask yourself when considering buying this little wristlight is: is it going to serve a role that is worth the chunk of change that it's going to cost? The answer will be different depending on the individual.

(also, with a unit that small pushing 200 lumens, I wouldn't assume that battery life would be a major selling point)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:19:55 PM by NOLA556 »
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

gecko45

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »
In my day BOYS when didnt have those fancy lights and you need them now! Stay Frosty!

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
It's a cool idea, but without a way to turn it on and off quickly, like a tape switch or something, it's not very useful in "tactical" situations.

Also, it will probably cost a fortune.
It's better to have it and not need it ...