Author Topic: SOG Team Leader  (Read 1797 times)

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
SOG Team Leader
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
I picked up a SOG Team Leader today.

http://sogknives.com/store/TL-03.html

I haven't used it yet but I already have mixed feelings about it.

I got it to either replace my KaBar as my primary fixed blade in my BOB or maybe as a backup (is it silly to carry two large fixed blades in your BOB?).
The blade length is perfect for me (5") and it's a full tang with overlaying handles (which is nice in case I decide to make a paracord handle for it, it'll be nice and easy to separate the factory handle)

It's EXTREMELY light weight for it's size and style which is usually a good thing, but I wonder how the tip will hold up to batoning.

the factory handle feels great in the hand and the texture is very aggressive which I am a big fan of.

just thought I'd throw this out there. I'll update with a full review once I've used it a few times.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: SOG Team Leader
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
Pricey...What else could you have purchased for $100-?

If you like it sell the KaBar and buy some more supplies.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »
Pricey...What else could you have purchased for $100-?

If you like it sell the KaBar and buy some more supplies.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

it was $55. there's two versions. the one I bought is a cheaper steel and was made in Taiwan instead of the good ol' USA..  :-\
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
the price on the knife in the link seems just fine if you get a badass knife for what you pay. i see nothing wrong with spending a lot of money on this to get the quality that will last several life times.

Ive got a folder in my pocket that i paid $105 for... not sure if it was a good price or not but MSRP was $115 and if i feel like it i could go the rest of my life without purchasing another folder because this ones good to go.

Bottom line you get what you pay for and im not relying on a cheap knife especially in something like a BOB knife.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
I like most of the SOG stuff I have played with.  I'm also a fan of having backups... I wouldn't carry an extra fixed blade in your pack though, every ounce ends up hurting you.

I keep decent knives in several locations- one in the car, one in the office.
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »
NOLA, I'm interested in your full review of the knife. I'd also be concerned about the tip in a heavy use survival situation.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
I like most of the SOG stuff I have played with.  I'm also a fan of having backups... I wouldn't carry an extra fixed blade in your pack though, every ounce ends up hurting you.

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Learn to carry a knife in your pocket and it will always be with you.

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »

I do, usually a multitool these days though
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline Xydaco

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
I have a SOG primative jungle knife. It works great when im in my Rambo mood.  :))
In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall.