Author Topic: smartwool socks?  (Read 4253 times)

goodnightChesty1775

smartwool socks?
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »

http://www.smartwool.com/
anyone use them? i just got some pairs

1 "hunting"
1 "hiking"
and 1 set of liners

ive heard these are the shizz im gona try them out, pretty pricey though...like 17 a pair. but super comfy.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: smartwool socks?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
I've used them, they are great.

But if you are commited to wearing liners then you can get wool socks that are as well made for much less per pair. Look in the formal wear. Business/Dress socks.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
I had a pair of them a while back, they seemed to work really good.

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
Ive heard good things about smartwool socks. Don't have any experience with them myself. I can tell you that a great wool sock is marina wool. Light weight, warm but breathable even when wet. good in summer and winter. And great for use in the ice cold north Atlantic region. Cost about $10 per pair. but worth every cent.
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
Smartwools are great.  I refused to try them out for years cause I am a big believer in wool socks, but they work as well, if not better depending on the circumstances.  They offer all of the same benefits of wool socks, warm and quick drying, at 2 times the price, but you don't need liners because they don't itch or bunch up in your boot.  Better than smartwools, check out fox river socks, I've included the link below.  Fox river makes a great sock that's about the same price as the smartwools, but they have a lot more selection to fit needs beyond what granola eaters use them for- I say that as a proud granola eater.  Also check out the socks for soldiers program on the site, you can buy an extra pair or two to send to deployed troops, if you have the means.

http://www.foxsox.com
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
I clicked on the smartwool socks, but it took me awhile to focus long enough to find out anything about them. Their thong kept popping up! After looking at the socks, I thought it only polite to click on their thong thing, maybe for the Mrs. When the thong comes up, there is a choice of a couple of views. The model seems to be in pretty good shape. Just saying.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
No bad for a flatassed girl. Ms. TG said they were a little spendy, I think she is a keeper!

Oh, and now I am in trouble. :o

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
She is flat assed isn't she. That's the trouble with most of them models. Oh well, still easy to look at.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Fixin to get me into more trouble HJ :o

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »
Fixin to get me into more trouble HJ :o

LOL!

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 12:07:05 AM »
UPDATED Smartwool review (My last review was before it got really cold):

I bought several pairs, and now after having a chance to wear them in cold weather... DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!  Their proprietary "smartwool" treatment is supposed to give them a longer life, allowing them to withstand more laundering.  While it may do that, IT REDUCES THE THERMAL CAPABILITY THAT WOOL IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE... I would say by more than 70%!!!  These overpriced POS's suck for staying warm.  I'd be better off wearing two pairs of regular cotton socks.  So much for "getting what you pay for" in this instance... total rip off!  My older warn out wool socks and newer much less expensive wool socks both keep my feet much warmer than these smartwool POS's.  I guess if you're looking for an over priced, high-cushion, work sock for warmer weather... go for it.  I see where some of you guys say you liked smartwools a few months ago when the weather was different.  Is it just me, or have your opinions changed also?  Either way, that is my experience and I'm sticking to it.

On a brighter note, I found wool socks for about half the price that work great.  "Dickies" "Arctic Work Thermals" and "Steel Toe Thermals"  I found at Meijer's for $7 on sale, they have increased to $10 now.  I don't know how well they will hold up over time, but they definitely provide the warmth and comfort that wool is supposed to.  They are also very roomy and fit my abnormally large hoof and calf... especially around the calf which is usually too tight for me in most high wool content socks.  Dickies does make other wool blend socks, so be sure to look for the ones that are 79% wool, 18% nylon, 2% polyester, 1% lycra.   One of the one's I got can be found here also:  http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Steel-Merino-Compression-Black/dp/B004QF0TF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358052098&sr=8-1&keywords=dickies+wool+steel+toe
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:46:19 AM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »
Just my thoughts, and I like granola, I have hugged a tree, but Thatgirl still has not convinced me (yet) that global warming is caused by man.
Well, I guess I have a lot of work cutout for me :))

I suppose though, it doesn't really matter whether folks in the prepping community believe in anthropogenic causes of global warming.  Folks that are gearing up to live off of the land are likely reducing their carbon footprint (my hidden agenda, now exposed) and if you're buying local to support mom and pop shops and factories because your tired of sending all your money to foreign nations while fellow Americans are unemployed and our economy gets closer to toppling over, then you're doing all the same things us believers are doing, just for different valid reasons.  I do those things for both reasons.

Back to the socks, I like my smartwools, but I like my foxrivers better.  Obviously, if you're worried about how the socks do in damp conditions, pay no attention to the advice from New Mexicans  :)) 
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
Anthropogenic! Oooooooh, look at you, with your five dollar words and what not.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
Anthropogenic! Oooooooh, look at you, with your five dollar words and what not.

Just one of the many tricks up my sleeve.  If folks google the word, perhaps they'll stick around and read a little more on the subject.  If I were really clever, I'd provide a link to lead you all directly to the propaganda so you don't get lost in other rhetoric along the way...  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

http://understandingclimatechange.org/the-science

Note: Wikipedia is not always a valid source of information, but I skimmed the two links and they look good.

I suppose the right thing to do would be to start a different thread in an appropriate section for this...  :))
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
Had an idea, but looked it up anyway. LOL!  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Back to the topic at hand.

I find that the thickness of the socks makes all the difference in how well they work in the cold. Those SmartWool socks are just too thin. Sure they may be soft and comfortable but that doesn't amount to a pile of beans if you can't feel your toes.

Now if the goal is to keep warm.. Felt over wool is a great way to roll. Sorel Felt Lined boots

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »
TGrl! You are as smart as a whip! ALMOST...almost to clever than old JohnyMac...Almost.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20:41 AM »
I can't say that I've given my Fox River socks a good beating but they have lasted though 2 hard hiking seasons for what that is worth.

And yes they do stink...