Author Topic: Show us your Bug-Out-Bag  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Show us your Bug-Out-Bag
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
Post up what youve got and how you like or dislike it. makes it easier for a newb to run through a bunch of honest reviews all in one place.

Mines the 5.11 RUSH 24 pack... they also make a 72 but despite the names i think the 24 is better for a 72 hour pack. the 72 is a monster and almost doubles the weight of this pack empty. 3lbs VS. around 6lbs i think and theres more space then youll need for a basic BOB.

It carrys a load very well in my opinion and the hard plate insert is a contributer to helping the bag carry well.. it dosent feel like the bag is swallowing your back or if you have anything pointy or odd shaped it wont poke you in the back. Id imagine i could comfortably load this bag up to around 35lbs if need be without any issues (more if your a badass) its currently right at 30 with a full camel back, canteen, and 3 days of food. 21lbs without food and water. There is no waiste strap but this bag still carrys a load well without one and dosent leave you wishing you had one BUT... you could always add one if you really wanted to load it down and transfer some of that weight because it has the rings for you to add a waist strap if you like. I cant give a total review of the bag because i havent had it long enough to give any opinions with any weight but so far i really like this bag.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:08:24 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Show us your Bug-Out-Bag
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »
What a great picture!

If you can fit the things you think are important in that bag then more power to you. I've always thought that the smallest bag was the best bag. Less impact visually, less potential to over pack and (I may be crazy) I find them have less effect on my movement.

That is a great looking set up!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
Kentactic,

Nice set up.  I like my Kifaru E&E pack, fairly small, will only carry bare essentials, but good kit.  I have several Kifaru packs to choose from in the event "hoofing it out" is necessary.  I would likely be carrying the full-size Kifaru MMR ruck, as I am the pack mule for my young family.  While I do respect utilizing a "grey" pack for EDC, I figure if I have to employ a BOB then I would be avoiding groups of people on my trek, I would be moving primarily at night, and with the number of hunters in my area, a camo pack would be a fairly common sight and not necessarily identified as "threat".

damn those kifaru packs are way out of my budget lol... very nice im sure though. as far as pack color mines OD so it kind of blends with the landscape... nothing like camo would but like you said most movement would be during night so camo is less important. plus its like 50 more bucks to get these packs in a camo color and i couldnt justify it. im digging the OD color and my OD blow-out molle pouch matched pretty good too... ive got a whole OD thing going on lol

if i decided to carry a long gun in any remotely tactical fashion id imagine even if i were in a pink too-too id look like a threat so i wouldnt really be too concerned with the camo making me look scary.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:32:32 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
What a great picture!

If you can fit the things you think are important in that bag then more power to you. I've always thought that the smallest bag was the best bag. Less impact visually, less potential to over pack and (I may be crazy) I find them have less effect on my movement.

That is a great looking set up!

I agree Thanks TG
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Rock star!  I agree, I like my BOB a little smaller then that, but more power to you.  I'm sure you've got some good stuff in that bag.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
30 firearms, 2000 pounds of food, cattle, chickens, 10000 rounds of ammo, and 200 acres of land. I WILL DIE WHERE I STAND NO BUGGING OUT FOR ME!!

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »
Hey Kentastic nice bag, I would like to post a few pics of mine, I'll check if I can find a nice one...

Have you walked with it long distances? In my experience heavy loads like your 30lbs will destroy your shoulders and back, the waist band puts the weight straight on your hips saving your back and neck of a lot of effort.

You have a blanket rolled? Or is a sleeping mat? Mine is blue and metallic in the other side it sucks

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
Hey Kentastic nice bag, I would like to post a few pics of mine, I'll check if I can find a nice one...

Have you walked with it long distances? In my experience heavy loads like your 30lbs will destroy your shoulders and back, the waist band puts the weight straight on your hips saving your back and neck of a lot of effort.

You have a blanket rolled? Or is a sleeping mat? Mine is blue and metallic in the other side it sucks

I have hiked around 4 miles in it on a trail with some pretty good inclines and declines so far. Im no Back packing expert so i too was concerned about all that weight on my shoulders. but by the end of the hike i was totally comfortable with the weight. it felt like i was carrying an empty backpack. and i only used about 16 ounces of water out of my Camelbak so its not like i drank away all the weight lol. Like i said if some one wanted to add the waist strap its already got the rings to attach it to. A 4 mile hike one time isnt enough to decide if the systems great or not but i now know i can go on longer treks and not have major issues and that was the goal of that hike, aswell as gauging my water consumption so i know how much water to bring for what trips.

The Roll attached to the bottom of my bag is a 100% wool Czech military blanket.

I actually did some video of me hiking a little aswell maybe i can put together a little short video...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:36:12 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
Hey Ken the key point in the bag in order to transfer the weight to your hips is like a cushion in the bottom that rest on your lower back, just in the place bitches get their tramp stamp :D
If you  just have the waist belt without the cushion the weight isn't going to be well transferred, even more, you should have your shoulder straps kind of loose to let all the weight rest on your hips.

In this picture you can see that cushion that I don't know how the hell is called

That pack is a Condor 3day assault pack, I have the Multicam version, a lot of guys think Condor sucks, but my pack is fantastic and I used it for quite a while.

By the way, man you absolutely need to get a water proof cover for your blanket because if wool gets wet it will add a ton of weight and will be completely useless for a long time until it dries, I usually carry my sleeping bag inside the pack just to keep it perfectly dry.

I'll post mine soon :D

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »
thanks for posting APX bag looks good. i understand what your saying and i agree. if i wanted to load it down id deff need to transfer the weight. but with my body size and the weight im hauling its a non issue. also yes the wool blanket would get VERY heavy if it got soaking wet and thats something ive considered and will adress over time. but wool also retains 80% of its warmth while soaking wet. i currently carry dryducks rain gear which is very light and pulls on over your clothing. it works great but dosent help protect my gear so i may be swapping it for a nice poncho that can go over me and my pack.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
I run that same Rush24 pack, and I agree 100% about the Rush72, way too big. 5.11 only rates this bag for a 24hr pack (obviously) but I honestly think a halfway competent person could drag that out to a week or more. all depends on what you choose to pack. depends on your ability to hunt small game, knowledge of edible wild plants, ability to purify water. other than those things, everything in a BOB is reusable so if you can secure yourself a steady flow of food and water, you could theoretically live out of that bag indefinitely.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
mine

my lady's
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:08:33 PM by NOLA556 »

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »
Nola, man oh man you need to carry that JanSport pack. They are cripplers. Ask my wife how she knows.

I agree with APX, you need to cover your blanket. Doesn't matter if you go with a pack cover, stuff sack or rolled a poncho around it. Personally I think that you guys who are rocking "camo" packs need to get a civilian pack cover anyhow to use as urban camo.

And you need a waist belt.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »
Nola, man oh man you need to carry that JanSport pack. They are cripplers. Ask my wife how she knows.

not quite sure what you mean. I've never used it for an extended period, but just throwing it on to test weight and whatnot, it feels pretty damn comfortable, more comfortable than mine, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:47:25 PM by NOLA556 »