Author Topic: Radio?  (Read 2384 times)

hjmoosejaw

Radio?
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CM%20R950&sid=CRITEO&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=criteo&utm_campaign=criteo

Does anybody know anything about these radios? Are they any good, worth it, is there one that's a better idea, etc.? Suggestions welcome.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Radio?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »
I really like the idea but there isn't enough info on that page to be able to tell you if it's the one or not.

Some things to think about when looking at these style of radios is, will it charge my batteries or just it's own? Turns out that it only charges it's own internal Ni-MH battery. You may be able to mod it to charge your own batteries.

Does it get the local net, i.e. fire, police and city? A great page to look that info up

(In my area you will find these nets in the 150kh-156kh range so for me this radio is a non-starter.)

What range of frequencies can I listen to? You don't want to miss out because you can't tune in.

This is a better page because it list the specs. http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA009-Powerd-Emergency-Radio/dp/B000E68282

For the price I think this could be a great 'first radio,' it will make you experiment with home brew antennas and for the money you might want to try pulling it's battery and putting in a clip so you can put in your own to charge. It's all up to you and what you want from it brother. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:29:29 PM by thatGuy »

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
Thanks TG

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
After closer looks, I think I would go more for at least, the Kaito 500 voyager. About $50.00. They make a 600 pro, but from what I gather, it may not charge the I-phone. (other cell phones, yes) But I think my daughters have the I-phone. I gotta check. I admit, I don't have a cellphone. The rest of the family does. Not into all of these fancy gadgets. I think the 500 voyager would be good. I'll have to do more research.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »
Kaito is a decent brand of radio. I question the usefulness of having tv channels, since all the US is now digital signals. I could be wrong about that though, as I don't have a tv band receiver to see what is there anymore.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »
Thanks crudos!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
Hit that link and see what the local fire, police and civil uses..

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Another link to add to what TG posted....

http://www.radioreference.com

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Pretty cool! So I could program any of these frequencies and listen to them? My daughter is an EMT and they're always switching to a different frequency when they don't want others to hear. But what they switch to is on the list.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »
with that radio any frequency in this list you can
AM, FM, TV Audio channels 2-13, Weather 162.55-164.4 MHz, VHF high band 145-174 MHz and four shortwave bands (6-9, 9-12, 12-15 and 15-18 MHz)
sic luceat lux

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
I could be wrong but my understanding was that tv channel 1 i.e. 100KHz-199.99KHz is where the police, fire, and civil service are located.

Could be wrong.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »
around 150.00-160.00 mhz
Some areas use dispatch and alert frequencies around 030.00mhz Although some may be up in the 400.00mhz range.

AND now alot of areas are going to digital which operate in the 800mhz range.

Havent ever heard of public safety in the 100-1990khz range
sic luceat lux

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
I don't know if I'm reading these right or not (don't know much about it), but under the frequency column, most of the numbers are like 460. whatever or 33. whatever under low band.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »
I don't know if I'm reading these right or not (don't know much about it), but under the frequency column, most of the numbers are like 460. whatever or 33. whatever under low band.
From what i can gather with the extremely limited information you gave me.

460 is probably 460.00mhz which that radio will not receive
the other is probably 033.000mhz which that radio will also not receive
sic luceat lux

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:54 AM »
Thanks v0dka! I would copy and paste what I am looking at, (it has local towns listed) but I would be giving my pretty immediate location away. Not that big brother probably doesn't already know it.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »
If I remember right, wasn't there a post, kind of recently, with the frequency for a prepper channel ?

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
If I remember right, wasn't there a post, kind of recently, with the frequency for a prepper channel ?

http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?topic=3256.msg35894#msg35894

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

If memory serves me what you are referring to is 151.820.  However Dsarti1 posted a video saying that in his opinion it was not a good frequency for long distance communication.  But it is a free to operate HAM frequency, similar to CB just not as well known.  Now I haven't had a chance to look any of this up but I think itd be a good way to hook up with like mindeds locally at least.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »

http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?topic=3256.msg35894#msg35894

lol darn you.  Work side tracked me from finishing my post in time.  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
151.820 mhz would be okay for local comms, but unless anyone is fairly nearby, or you/they have a fairly powerful transmitter and good antenna set-up, it's kinda worthless. If you want true regional and national communications, the HF bands is where you need to be. I have been tuning in to the frequency on Tuesday nights, but haven't heard anything.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
Pretty much nailed dead-on.....

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
I don't know, it seems a lot more involved than I thought. 30 miles, (maybe).  I was hoping there would be something like. if you were bugging out during an emergency, you could tune in and get some type of insight or word on what's going on. Still I guess with some different frequencies, you could get lucky and hear some sort of messages. I just don't know enough about it. I need to educate myself a little in that area, then I could make a more informed choice.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »
hj,
I think what you are looking for is a receiver Vs. a transceiver.

There a shit-ton of good receivers out there; we have a Grundig S350DL receiver. The secret is to have an exterior antenna.

You can pick up an exterior antenna at Radio Shack or build one. http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
I don't know, it seems a lot more involved than I thought. 30 miles, (maybe).  I was hoping there would be something like. if you were bugging out during an emergency, you could tune in and get some type of insight or word on what's going on. Still I guess with some different frequencies, you could get lucky and hear some sort of messages. I just don't know enough about it. I need to educate myself a little in that area, then I could make a more informed choice.

For that, a little AM/FM portable radio would probably do the trick. I have a little handheld radio that supplements my on-the-go short-range commo....

http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?topic=2987.0

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »
Thanks crudos! Yeah, this sounds like more of what I'm thinking about. Looks like I have some homework to do. I know next to nothing about radios, so this all looks pretty foreign to me. I think I'm gonna read up it though. Thanks again.