Author Topic: Max Velocity Training - Review  (Read 3031 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Max Velocity Training - Review
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:17:51 PM »
TC3/RMP and CRM Review

I attended MVT (Max Velocity Training) classes May 30, 31 & June 1. This AAR (After Action Report) is a review of the three classes, some observations and recommendations for future students.

TC3 was a four hour class that involved identifying and treatment, (in the correct order) of life threatening injuries, to maximize survival caused by massive hemorrhage till evacuation could be executed upon.

Overall I would rate this class a “4” on a 1-5 scale where 5 is perfect. I deducted 1 point because the class left me wanting for more. In my opinion, this class should be a full day event where students bring and then use items in the IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) of the injured person. Yes this will cost some money but not unlike the cost of running ammo for MVT other classes. There is nothing better than “hands on” experience.

RMP was a four hour class to prep students for certain tasks that CRCD students would encounter in the following two day class. Tasks like: Magazine manipulation, rifle malfunction recovery, safety and etcetera

Overall I would rate this class a “5” using the above mentioned criteria as a precursor to CRCD. For me though, it was totally frustrating due to my lack of AR 15 experience. Thank heavens for CRM which I took the following two days and will address later in this review

In order for the reader to understand where I am coming from for the CRM part of this review, I think a little background of old JohnyMac is appropriate.

First, I am a prepper, second I am a soldier and when the SHTF does happen I will probably fall more into the preppers/defend the community/auxiliary function. I have no illusion's of leading like minded men & women against the statist government (s).

The training classes I have taken in the past was limited to handgun manipulation as I have a CCW (Conceal Carry With) and an interest in handguns.

I hunt small and large game using shotgun, small caliber rifle & handgun, flint lock rifle and love vintage Savage model 99 in all calibers. Until post the 2008 Presidential election, I had no desire to own a "black ugly rifle."

In 2005 my family started to prep in earnest. We purchased property and built a 250 sf start-up cabin followed by a 1,400 sf log cabin in 2010. Much of which I have reported on here and other forums.

Purchased “Beans, Band-Aides and Bullets along with the tools needed like: Tractors, chain saws, solar panels, plows, disc-ers, deep cycle batteries, black ugly rifles, and other survival related items.

Then one day I found myself staring at the last two items on my prepping “bucket list” – Physical fitness and combat training.

I started in earnest on my physical fitness (PT) about two months ago. Since that time I have lost 16 pounds which is about half-way to my goal of being at 200 pounds by the fall of this year.

At the same time of my renewed interest in PT I started to review combat type classes offered on the east coast. After much review (I tend to research things ad nauseam before I commit) I decided on MVT as my main education academy for this needed skill. 

CRM was a two day class. Day one was a repeat of RPM but done over eight hours rather than the earlier day’s four hour class. This was perfect for me which helped a “non AR guy” learn by using “building blocks” of combat rifle manipulation like: Magazine changes, rifle clearages, shooting positions, movement under fire, etcetera, to feel confident with my rifle and "battle rattle. "

The second day involved primarily movement while using the building blocks learned during the first day and RMP. By the end of the two day class I was managing my AR & kit rather than my AR & kit managing me.

Overall, I would rate the CRM class a “5” using the above mentioned rating. It is absolutely a must if your background is anywhere similar to mine. If you are an AR aficionado (Several of my team members were) I think that this class would be important to add to your “must take” rifle manipulation class "bucket list."

As one of my more gun savvy team mates shared with the group during the debriefing at the end of the CRM course (AAR for you military types); This course was outstanding and he had learned things that were not taught in previous classes with other training professionals.

It goes without argument, Max is a very good trainer; However, I want to take this opportunity to speak of our training instructor, Aaron. He handled adults as adults should be coached and trained.

I have trained thousands of adults over my career in both small and large groups and have attended many training sessions too. The successful trainers always know the write balance between curriculum, humor and the most important ingredient… “The Why!”

Adults want to know why before they will give the trainer 100% commitment on an exercise. Aaron did a great job of taking the time to use this step!

In closing, get off your butt and get in shape. There are plenty of mind sets out there on how to do that however it really comes down to commitment from you.

Then sign up and get some training! Whether you go with MVT or someone else - Get some bloody training!

I will say though, if you go with MVT you will be 100% satisfied. You have the JohnyMac seal of approval here. NOW DO IT!

Post Script:

When you attend any of MVT classes here is a must bring, should bring and would be kind of nice list, over and above what Max asks you to bring.

•Arm & knee pads
•Sun screen
•Insect repellent
•Hand sanitizer
•Fluids (Water, Gatorade, Unsweetened Ice Tea, etc.)
•Gloves
•Hat
•Coffee (hot or cold)
•Back-up weapon systems and gear (One is none, two is one)
•Note Book and several stylists
•Cooler with ice if you like cool drinks
•Back-up toilet paper
•Paper towels
•“Cotton” bath towel
•Camera
•Snacks
•Gunsmith tools
•Extra socks and foot powder
•Extra pair of boots (I like rotating my boots every other day)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:22:20 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Burt Gummer

Re: Max Velocity Training - Review
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:15 AM »
It's sounds like you learned allot from this Jmac. I'm glad to hear that you got your feet wet.
Could you say you picked up / were exposed to something that made you alter your already existing prep plan?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
A few things did changed in my mind and here they are in no particular order.

1) My attitude towards defending family and property has changed from "oh yeah I guess I have to do
     that" to "this is scary stuff. Someone is going to die."
2) Shooting at the range on Sunday for relaxation is not what I was doing this past weekend. It was
    serious business with a deadly outcome. This came to me LOUD & CLEAR when we were
    practicing "contact drills" with my buddy. I was being trained to kill the enemy and make sure I
    didn't kill frag my buddy. 
3) I am pushing the members of our prepping community to go to at least the TC3 and CRM class.
4) There are people or gun slingers out there, that are training to take away my stuff because they
     can't afford training and Beans, Band-Aids and Bullets. So they picked training.
5) The only way to affectively protect the homestead is to do patrols. If we let the (BGZ's) Bike Gang
    Zombies reach the cabin, we will all be dead.
6) I am now one step above a hunter and two steps above a SHTF refuge but I am no match for a
    professional U.S. solider like yourself Burt. If my team choses continue to go down the training
    road, we will never equal the training of a 20 something U.S. Marine or Solider.

I don't know Burt if I am answering your question or not; However those were the thoughts that went through my mind on the 5 hour drive home Sunday night.

PS: Oh and my PT is getting better but nowhere near where it needs to be. 

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Nice review John, it would be awesome to attend if I wasn't so far away and so poor LOL
It would be nice if you could share some pics!

brat

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I've been thinking about some training from military types that will go well beyond leo stuff I've had over my 30 year career. I've been reading MV website for a while. Some of the stuff goes over my head, so I bought his book Contact. It's very interesting and I'm sure if I get the coins to go up to his place, the book will also make more sense. I'm a learn by doing type.
Thanks again.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »
I'm glad to hear/see you type that Jmac. Killing is a serious business especially when you are the defender. I would suggest now looking into some philosophy meaning of life material so you don't hesitate / hate yourself when that situation might arise.
Also keep in mind that you will have a comparative advantage over your assailants. With your community and economic stability. This will allow you to hire/contract more skilled security.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
brat, if you want some additional info PM me.

If my memory serves me right, your AO is about a 4 hour drive away form MVT in West Virginia. The total cost was about $1,200- when you add everything up it looks like:

Gas..... $120- Round trip
Motel...$ 65- a night. Yes this number includes taxes. There are two places to camp at the site which is
                    free if you want to rough it. 
Meals...$ 25- a day. This would of course be cheaper if you bring your own grub.
Ammo..$350- (Approx. 1,000 rounds for RMP & CRM)
Course..$450- ($100- for TC3/RMP and $350- CRM)
Total $1,190-

Offline Leonidas

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
Great review JohnyMac. 

Don't be so harsh on yourself regarding the comment you made that you'd never be as effective as a soldier vs. home defender argument.  Our experience over the years has shown those defending life, liberty, and their families do more than you'd think they can against mercenaries (trained and paid soldiers).  Before anyone gets bunched, I'm not saying you shouldn't PT and get training; I'm only saying that it is a statist lie used to keep their subjects from even trying to defend themselves.

Good for you to keep moving into an uncomfortable world.  That is the reality of prepping - constantly pushing yourself into uncomofortable situations so when the real circus starts, it won't feel that unfamiliar.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
Thanks for your words of wisdom Leonidas  :thumbsUp:

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
JohnnyMac  great review.  As Leonidas said dont be so hard on yourself.  Train to fail, not to succeed. By failing we know what to improve on.  Sounds like a great class. I would like to get to a MVP class at some point.

I just returned from a Restricted Visibility (low light, no light) class in Wyoming. It was segmented between using white light techniques as well as NODS.  There were periods that were humbling to say the least. :)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Great CJS!

MVT now has a NODS class. If you take his class you can pre-buy GEN III NVG's from someone supporting MVT. If my memory serves me right the regular price is ~$2,900- and the discount is hefty and brings them down to around ~$2K.

If you want more details go to his training site here.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 01:46:40 AM »
I think I'll read this guy's books

graynomad

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 06:30:04 AM »
Great write up and that course sounds good. I don't even know if such courses are available in Oz and even if they are what weapons it would make sense to train with because we are more limited in that way, ie there's no point me training with an AR if I can only buy a bolt-action 22.

I wish I was at your state of preparedness JohnyMac, I'm still working on the bucket list but I have brought the PT forward in as much as I'm physically building the house, digging pads for tanks etc etc. I find it almost impossible to exercise for 2 hours (just too boring) but am quite happy to break up rock with a crow bar while digging a post hole for the same amount of time. Also I did a 13k walk through scrub and on sand the other day, that's hard work as well as interesting and appropriate to prepping (bugging out on foot should it be necessary) at the same time. It also highlighted the importance of having a plan to cover problems, at the 5k mark the soul came off my right shoe and I had no real way to fix it. FAIL :)

I'm gonna get the books as well.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
offtopic:

Have you noticed both graynomad and thedigininja are from countries that were British colonies and none of them can own firearms? The ban is from colony times or is something new guys?

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »
Don't know about South Africa, but the British passed a law outlawing all (or 99%) firearms a decade or two ago. You can google it and see all the pictures  of beautiful weapons being destroyed - not sold, not exchanged, no chance given for collectors to get them. The state provides their "security" now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Don't sweat it graynomad, you will get there.

My wife is a recovering alcoholic (22 yrs) and she often reminds me: "One step at a time John." Or "John, you are future tripping."

Just keep at it, one item a time and you will get there.  :thumbsUp:

graynomad

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
Dunno about Canada South Africa but we can own firearms in OZ, they are just harder to get and the types more restricted than in the US. I've not got any yet but AFAIK it goes like this (I've shot plenty over the years but never got a licence so I'm prepared to be corrected about this if there are any Aussies here who know better)

To own a long gun you need to either join a gun club, own a property larger than 40 acres, or get a letter from someone who does own a property larger than 40 acres to the affect that you are allowed to shot on his property. Having got the letter you can shoot where you like. There are police checks that can take quite a while (months) for your first gun. Less I believe for subsequent guns.

For a side arm you have to attend a gun club for 6 months and jump through a few more hoops.

Open carry is not permitted anywhere public except where unavoidable like from the car to the gun shop/range etc but it must be in a case or bag or something, not in the open.

You can carry in the car as long as a person cannot see it (or anything that yells gun like a recognisable gun case) through the windows.

I don't think there is any limit on the number of firearms you own.

There are limits on the amount of ammo you can keep, but the exact number is not defined and it's up to you to argue that you need X number of rounds. So I'm guessing 5000 would be ok for  a competition shooter or professional roo shooter but not for someone who shows no inclination to actually use the gun very often or even go to a range (AKA a STHF "hoarder").

Vintage firearms do not have to be licensed.

Semi-auto is allowed I think if you can justify it (not sure how you would do that, maybe if your job is culling pigs from a helicopter or some such).

Full-auto, no way for the average person.

As to when this all came about, the current restrictions were put in place after that arsehole Bryant shot 35 people at Port Arthur in 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29

As usual the politicians knee jerked and implemented new rules. There was a buy back and after that if you had an illegal type of firearm you are in deep doo doo.

Before that things were much more open (although I don't know how open), so I assume it's nothing to do with being a British colony.

As to how many unlicensed guns are around I assume nobody knows but I was told yesterday that there are 90 million guns in Oz, now that's about 4 for every man, woman and child so I can't see that number being correct but I think it's fair to say there are a hell of a lot. OTOH a family was busted not far from me with over 30 (most unlicensed) and I know two people with around 30 guns each, so maybe.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:00:34 PM by graynomad »

graynomad

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
Just keep at it, one item a time and you will get there.
That's my plan, I try to spend at least 2-3 hours a day on something physical that gets me closer to the goal (plus about 10 hours a day on forums :) )

As I don't work I should be able to spend more time but I have trouble getting up early.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:53:09 AM by graynomad »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
Just remember graynoamd that spending too much time on forums will cause hairy fingers and palms  ;)

It's amazing how Politian's will do anything to win another term, e.g. jump on a tragedy like gun violence.

One man (boy) does not represent the other 99.9%~ safe and law biding gun owners. Yet "they" will use the tragedy to move "their" agenda.   

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »
In SA it's been the last 20 years or so that it's been so hard to legally get a firearm, before then everyone and their mother had a gun. (Literally, my mother had 2).
I'd rather be crazy than dead.

The imperial system is a tool of the devil.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/measurement-conversions.htm

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

graynomad

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »
Yet "they" will use the tragedy to move "their" agenda.   
Yep, I'm surprised you US guys haven't had the same given all the reported shootings. I guess the difference is the 2nd amendment and the strong NRA. As I understand it it's actually in the constitution in black and white that you are allowed to bear arms, not so here so that makes it a privilege at the mercy of anyone on power. I don't know anything about the machinations of politics and constitutions etc but that's my take on it.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
Yet "they" will use the tragedy to move "their" agenda.   
Yep, I'm surprised you US guys haven't had the same given all the reported shootings. I guess the difference is the 2nd amendment and the strong NRA. As I understand it it's actually in the constitution in black and white that you are allowed to bear arms, not so here so that makes it a privilege at the mercy of anyone on power. I don't know anything about the machinations of politics and constitutions etc but that's my take on it.
GN, I used to think the same thing.
You see while there's the constitution, local municipalities & townships will pass ordinances and laws directly defying the 2nd amendment with impunity because no one gives a damn.
My theory has become that it is because there are large swaths of culturally self identifying people that are prepared to band together to make enough of a fuss that threatens the illusion of control those politicians count upon.
This causes them to think twice before attacking it, except for in small bite's.
The NRA is just an old institution that has a history of compromising.
Without it there would be a replacement within the weak.
Also because it's in the constitution, and it's considered a "law" doesn't mean that it's (or ever would be) enforceable, and so making it useless. Except for informing the public of what ought to be happening.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
Yes the USofA does have the Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights but it is under constant assault - Nationally, by state and locally.

It is only when people stand up and say "NO" is when Politian's back-off. The NRA is part of it but in reality it is the hundreds of thousands of American folks who speak up with one voice when Politian's try to touch the Second Amendment. I wish the American citizens would do the same thing when the same Politian's try to chip away at the 4th and 5th Amendments are attacked.   

A quick review of America's gun laws can be read here. Please note, I wrote it and it is a bit one sided.

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »
At least you have the right to bare arms (at least in theory). Whereas we need to jump through hoops and utilise a number of loop holes just to own one (which costs you an arm and a leg) and then still go through even more hell to get a carrying permit which you pay for in advance and most likely never qualify for.
I'd rather be crazy than dead.

The imperial system is a tool of the devil.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/measurement-conversions.htm

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
Sorry thediginja :facepalm: