Author Topic: ICS shelter review  (Read 1727 times)

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
ICS shelter review
« on: February 17, 2023, 06:20:09 PM »
A few years ago I decided to buy a good tent...I found one new in the $250 range, but you can get them used for less. https://colemans.com/u-s-g-improved-combat-shelter-acu-digital-used
$199 -

anyhow I cleared snow on a 28 degree day, built a fire and with snow in the forecast organized to overnight in my backyard... woke up next AM with about 4 inches of new snow on the tent. These tents are solid. I used my wiggys bag, an air mattress and two USB hand warmers for warmth. The only issue I had was I used a shemagh to keep my face warm as night temps hit 16 above with winds around 20mph. No failures on the tent, my air mattress could have been better. I've since purchased a UCO candle lantern for $25 on amazon, and plan on using that the next time I'm out in the cold. I've read that it can be used to heat the small space inside that tent (if your not keeping gear in the vestibule side) The tent is small and has no hanging inside pockets (nope, don't care) -and the rain fly covers all your gear to keep it dry and keep snow off. I'm going to say the tent is good kit, not perfect but good. seems it has two ways to set up, so you can make the top higher or lower and either way it's barely enough for a 6 ft tall person to sit up inside it -size is set by what ring you put that top pole in..but that's ok. issues? usual worry about burning holes in a new tent from being too close to fire...tent sliding a little down the slope since I used an emergency blanket with mylar as a ground cloth. No failures on the tents part.  I can see how some of the rain fly underside is rubber and that would stick to itself causing it to fail and leak in the future. The tent comes with a repair kit (new ones anyhow). The main reason I bought this tent is due to watching a guy over in Germany go out in the field with it, test it in rain, and then toss it in the dryer- saying those light weight REI rigs would never survive any of what he's done to the ICS thousands of times- weirdly I believed the guy! :D ..so those tents can suffer serious abuse and still not fail.

failures on my part? I didn't drink enough water and cramped up in the sleeping bag -I was out for about 4 or 5 hours in snow clearing space, getting firewood and not drinking water. I should have started a nice fire early and heated hot rocks from my stone wall behind my tent (wrap them in a towel and you have about 5 hours for a fist sized rock to cuddle with to sleep warm). having a cold face makes it hard to sleep...a ski mask might have been better then that shemagh, but it kind of worked.  My son didn't sleep out, too cold for him...he did check it out.

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
Re: ICS shelter review
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 09:46:35 PM »
Very nice.
Thanks.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 10:11:36 PM »
Good review of the equipment.  I'm surprised you used an air mattress, or was it a hybrid mattress, with foam and air?  It's always nice to know the tent will withstand the weight of a new snowfall.

I use to use a pyramid type tent with a wood fired tent stove for winter camping.  A heated tent is the way to go, as you get older.  We could get by in a t-shirt when inside, while the outside temperature was in the negative teens.  I'd usually need to get up around 2am for a call of nature, which was perfect timing to re-stoke the stove.  Used a pulk with a harness to haul our equipment into the woods. My son was 7 or 8 at the time, and it was good training to teach him how to deal with frigid conditions.  He's in his 30's now and he's taking his son on winter expeditions now.  I still have the tent, but now I've got my sheepwagon for year round camping; it has a small stove and the coldest I've slept in was -31 F.   I don't miss cold winters.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 11:11:23 PM »
I have several tents that range from 2 man tents all the way up to a 20X20 tent. I love everything about tents except for setting one up. Damn!! It's like having to learn to read all over again. My 12 foot tent and my 20 foot tent have never been out of the box. I did play around with a couple of the 2 man tents in the yard and I believe I could survive in them pretty well. I keep one of the 2 man tents in the SUV along with a big plastic storage box full of survival gear. Crap! I hope I don't ever get stranded in the Acura or I'm toast. The only survival gear in that thing is a really nice first aid kit and some tools.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »
Great review and thanks for starting the thread mfitzy  :thumbsUp:

I too have a GI TOCP tent which I have used but more for car camping as it weighs 6-Lbs.

Three years ago I bought a 14'x9' wall tent from CORE. I use this tent primarily for events like Field Day. 

Today for backpacking, I use a hammock with a fly over to keep rain/snow off me. When it is cold out I hang a Snugpack jungle blanket for a under quilt, a sleeping pad with a R6 factor and a down sleeping quilt. All weighs about 6-lbs.

By the way, the best sleeping pad I have ever used is the  Sea to Summit Ether Light XT Extreme Cold-Weather Insulated Sleeping Pad. Yes it is pricy but it is super comfortable and with a R6 insulation value the best sleeping mat for winter camping at its weight of 28-onces.

Burning a candle really does help. Back when I was in my teens my bet friend at the time, would sleep out in ungodly low temps. We used a candle for light and a bit of heat. Sounds crazy however, that candle would heat up that 2-man pup tent with no issues. 

All good stuff
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 12:19:10 PM »
-Cool on the comments -that sea to summit ether light sounds epic.

ok a couple of things - I tired this test more than once. the first time I tired it -no snow same cold temps. I used a mylar emergency sheet under the tent, I had a foam Yoga mat and some of that mylar bubble wrap type insulation -that wasn't too good due to not having an air mattress. I also used the military issue 3 piece sleeping bag - it was cold, I was cold and overall -I should have done better...the second time I did the same test is when I got snow, and over night temps of 16 above about the same as the first time- that time I used the same mylar sheet under the tent, I used a military issue air mattress or I think I used a second one from klymit static V (I think it was the Static V since I had the $40 military mattress on order for some reason) - $40 on amazon...I also switched out using the military issue MSS sleep system for my 2 piece Wiggys bag that I think just kept me warmer. both times I used USB hand warmers to help keep warm.

I still need to test again as soon as this sinus stuff is over (been a little messed up since that Ohio chemical blast) - I want to test a setup and try that candle system for heat. I wanted a tent stove, but resources are limited to my rigging something up or finding a cheap alt way to make something happen.  it's like I have a coleman propane powered double burning camp stove, a small alcohol burning stove, that candle setup, and even have a big buddy that runs on the 1lb green tanks- will it work? on low likely for about 5 hours...will it gas me? idk. at some point, I don't want to throw money at any situation, I want to focus on skills and ability.

usually if it was warmer I'd be using my hammock rig -I've had good luck being inside that hammock tent system from Hennesy hammock. I'm too cheap to afford the under blanket stuff. what I used before was a foam PT mat with a second layer of that insulation for homes - mylar reflectix - the sleeping pad allows you some comfort sleeping diagonal so your feet don't end up above your head all night. hammocks are hard for me at times since I move around, and get up at some point to make water...I've had that happen a few times -slept comfortable until I've moved around and had my back against the screen for the mosquitoes  - that feet above your head thing will about mess you up...you'll wake up with a bomber headache. Nice thing about hammocks is getting off the wet ground and away from bugs. I'm going to have to find my pictures and see about posting about a hammock review.

back to that ICS tent  - it's got a floor - but it's not insulated. The floor covers the sleep area -fully. the vestibule area is open no floor...good to keep your backpack dry or likely put a candle.

this was the air mattress I think I used the second time-
 https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Lightweight-Backpacking-Inflatable-Non-Insulated/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=asc_df_B007RFG0NM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194838933099&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14260310893223546483&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007090&hvtargid=pla-310743501520&psc=1

I used this over a foam Yoga mat (it's a little thicker then a PT mat from the military surplus stores)

https://www.amazon.com/REFLECTIX-BP24010-x10-Foil-Insulation/dp/B000BPF22U/ref=asc_df_B000BPF22U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167138746282&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1591650745263230750&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007090&hvtargid=pla-312007480985&psc=1

this yoga mats are cheap- $4-10 on Amazon -this one is like $5.

https://www.amazon.com/QCool-Thick-Durable-Yoga-Mat/dp/B092CJF4P5/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=black+yoga+mat+under+10+dollars&qid=1676826278&sr=8-19

one of my biggest issues is trying gear out before using in the field- for the same reason as one of the other posters saying it... I have this tent - but I've never used it. This is a really good time to test out whatever your planning on using, and making sure it works before things get worse. I wanted to see how well the ICS held up over cold, with snow, and I've tired it out a few times in light rain. it doesn't leak....I'm kind of worried that it's been in the bottom of my backpack and I've been getting on the treadmill a few times every other week so things might not be good next time I try it out from friction inside the pack. after I go drop a radio part off at a friends - I'm going to have to dump my gear and check things out tonight.

-MFitzy111

Offline mfitzy111

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 02:55:45 PM »
old topic bump...so ham radio field day I camped out over night with my club (Friday in to Sat) -and used my ICS tent again -we had a few hours of heavy rains that I managed to stay mostly dry inside the tent...just a little word of advice keep the zipper up at 12 o'clock to keep the tent from having a 9 or 3 open point for water to find it's way in if it's a heavy rain. I left the zipper down around the 3 o'clock position and had water find it's way in and run down in to a little puddle...two good options, being on an air mattress, and being inside a gortex bivy -I still managed to wake up dry, and honestly a little too warm to be comfortable. good news is the tent held up nice, and the only issues were ones I created...if your keeping the zipper at it's highest point, your good to go, you can even vent the top a little and not have rain come in. best of luck all. looking forward to my next night out.

-Fitzy111

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 06:13:20 PM »
Thank you for the update mf.

:cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.