Author Topic: Glock 23 Thigh holster ideas?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Glock 23 Thigh holster ideas?
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
Im thinking about trying out a thigh holster for my G 23. Any recomendations? Id prefer a kydex style. Think "Good deal"...
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Glock 23 Thigh holster ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
I'm loving my uncle mikes reflex retention holster... even though its made in China.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
just remember running, kneeling, prone, crawling, will all be very different with some weight on cho leg....

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
just remember running, kneeling, prone, crawling, will all be very different with some weight on cho leg....

Yeah im trying to get the weight off my belt. I can deal with the jiggling aslong as i know the pistol is secure. Its just annoying having the pistol on my hip when sitting or running. Im not dead set on going thigh rig but i need to atleast try one out.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
right on

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
I would HIGHLY recommend the Safariland Level 2 drop leg holster.  You will be looking at about 150 dollars but the thing is rock fraking solid!  I have had mine for years and abused the heck out of it and it is still holding strong.  The hood is simple and fluid to get out of the way, especially with practice but will keep your pistol where you need it.  The wrap around platform is both comfortable and stable keeping the weapon from jiggling or bouncing off your leg while running full sprint!  The straps are great quality and have a little elasticity to them so getting them on and snug while keeping them comfortable is a snap.

Currently I am running my pistol on my chest rig but I would go back to my Safariland drop leg in a heart beat!
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
my current setup is a 5.11 thigh rig with a standard 5.11 universal molle handgun holster and a SOG Team Leader fixed blade.

the thigh rig itself is pretty cool, just an empty MOLLE surface and you can configure it however you want. the 5.11 holster is CRAP and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I only run it on the thigh rig because it's the only one I have. I'm either going to upgrade to a dropleg holster or find another MOLLE compatable pistol holster that I actually like. I'd rather go with the second option because I like having the blade down on the thigh also rather than up on my hip. idunno, i just use it to train as of right now, my normal carry holsters are all either IWB or OWB hip holsters.

my entire "full retard" setup is pretty unorthodox but it works for me. I keep my pistol mags on the left side of my chest, mags turned horizontal, baseplates facing my left, feed lips facing my right, bullets facing up. I came up with that unusual setup because it's retarded to have my pistol mags on my right leg when I'm right handed, and I didn't have anything else to secure them to my left side. believe it or not, it actually works out quite nicely, it just takes some getting used to. try it if you have the MOLLE gear for it. probably sounds crazy but I've actually grown quite fond of it.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Id love the safari but i cant drop that kind of coin on a holster right now. Heres what i came up with. It will take the same SERPA holster i already use so i dont have to buy twice.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/tactical-holster-platform,814,82.htm

Heres the deal though.... Typically the holster on a drop leg runs to the back of the slide even if it isnt a level three. But this is the style ill be putting on it... the guns still secure of course but whats the purpose of a full length holster?

http://www.reactgear.com/Blackhawk-SERPA-CQC-Holster-w-Matte-Finish-p/41051-p.htm

Heres the typical style holster they run on this rig.

http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-serpa-level-2-tactical-holster

It would seem to me it just protects the pistol from being bashed into things...Somewhat important... I think maybe ill try it with the one ive got... if i like it i can then buy the proper holster.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:05:15 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
If its good enough for Hoss its good enough for me... im just going to get the platform and call it good with my serpa holster.

Drop Leg Holsters
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
I like UBLs (universal belt loops) on my safarilands. Gives enough of a drop to clear armor, and you don't have an annoying strap on your leg. I don't prefer as much of a drop as in this pic, but it is an option if you need it further down to clear kit.

Coupled with the ALS holster you get a similar level of retention to a serpa, but it's not unsafe and banned by numerous trainers, and it's faster than the old standby for tactical holsters, the 6004. An ALS series of holster can be had for under $40, and a UBL is usually around $15, so you aren't in the $150 range for a 6004 drop leg platform, and having used both for years, I can say I prefer the ALS.
It's better to have it and not need it ...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »
Ken,
I finally went with the Blackhawk you had the link for. I purchased it from Opticsplanet: http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhawk-tactical-serpa-holster-right-hand-draw.html

I first purchased a Safariland Level 2 via their recommendation. When it came the hood would not work with my sight set up. I contacted Safariland and they told me that they did not have a holster for my Kimber.

I returned the holster (A long story) and went with the Blackhawk. I love it!

As mentioned on a previous post I have it on my Minute Man (Grab and run) rig.

Good luck.... :))
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »
LMAO JM...

I would have given up the Kimber first.   :))
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
I like UBLs (universal belt loops) on my safarilands. Gives enough of a drop to clear armor, and you don't have an annoying strap on your leg. I don't prefer as much of a drop as in this pic, but it is an option if you need it further down to clear kit.

Coupled with the ALS holster you get a similar level of retention to a serpa, but it's not unsafe and banned by numerous trainers, and it's faster than the old standby for tactical holsters, the 6004. An ALS series of holster can be had for under $40, and a UBL is usually around $15, so you aren't in the $150 range for a 6004 drop leg platform, and having used both for years, I can say I prefer the ALS.

I have definitely been considering this style because it is more of what I am used to and is quicker and easier to don than the drop leg. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it!  http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:33:17 PM by Outonowhere »
Han shot first!

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 03:49:07 AM »
Although it has only been a couple weeks (if that) since my last post I have discovered that the website I linked to no longer carries the UBL.  I did however find a seller on ebay selling them for about 20 bucks, so still not bad.  I plan on getting one of these soon and will do something I found from ITS Tactical.  First impressions without having done it yet I have to say it looks exactly like what I am looking for.

http://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure-your-safariland-6004-for-mid-ride/
Han shot first!

1000meterstare

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
Tagua thumb-break and sell your Glock for a real handgun.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »

real cheap and of questionable reliability you mean.....
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

A REAL handgun?... Whats with these half assed childish comments from you lately? Please explain how a glocks not a real handgun... Ill wait...
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »

A REAL handgun?... Whats with these half assed childish comments from you lately? Please explain how a glocks not a real handgun... Ill wait...

Also since it attaches only to the rail on a glock i bet while its holstered i can rip the gun off his hip easily since that plastics pretty weak and will break. Drop onto your side a few times and watch that shit snap.

Childish comments, who?   ???
Han shot first!

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »

Also since it attaches only to the rail on a glock i bet while its holstered i can rip the gun off his hip easily since that plastics pretty weak and will break. Drop onto your side a few times and watch that shit snap.

Childish comments, who?   ???

So being able to rip the rail off the gun makes it not a real handgun? The rail isnt meant to support 240lbs of man swinging on it... theres zero logic here...

Again... why is a glock not a real handgun? a 1911 is a realll handgun, a beretta is a real handgun. why is a glock not a real handgun?... i have it registered through riverside county as a handgun. Tell me what defines a real handgun... I have my definition but i wanna hear the definition of those claiming a glock isnt a real handgun so i know what qualifies as real.

The gorilla internet tactics of say a stupid ass thing and then run away are getting old.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
logic and truth has no place on the internet
i'm getting pretty fucking sick of all this bullshit
 [img]http://www.smileydesign.n [img]http://www.smileydesign.n [img]http://www.smileydesign.n
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
OONW Wrote:
I would have given up the Kimber first.   :))

Oh yeah I know that trick...And send the Kimber to you! Right?  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Old JohnyMac didn't just fall off the turnip truck you know...  :)) :)) :))

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.