Author Topic: G90, evolve 3 maestro, and digirig review  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
G90, evolve 3 maestro, and digirig review
« on: September 16, 2022, 08:43:05 PM »
Placeholder for a review.

I used the G90 to check into last week's nets (maybe 2 weeks ago).

Planning to do a POTA activation tomorrow with the setup mentioned above. Will leave a review after.

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
Re: G90, evolve 3 maestro, and digirig review
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »
Activated k-8833 today.

15 ssb contacts with the g90 on 20w (I went looking for p2p, didn't call cq) in a little over an hour. The filtering could be way better, but it's good enough.

Antenna was the chameleon emcomm 3 in a sloper config. I ran the included radial and didn't need the tuner on 40m or 20m.

Used the evolve 3 for logging on max brightness, used about 10% battery.

I didn't use digirig this is time, but used it last week to check into the Erin net. No complaints, it's a nice little box for digital

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 07:41:21 AM »
Thank you sir.

Question for you...

How do you like the G90? Overall and individual components. I read that filtering was minimal. Thanks!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »
Thank you sir.

Question for you...

How do you like the G90? Overall and individual components. I read that filtering was minimal. Thanks!

Its a good little radio. But as expected from a $400 rig, there's next to no filtering, you have to play with the upper or lower part of the width. No width adjustment directly. No DNR (which I love on the 991A). I knew this going in, but wanted a backup/portable radio and 20W is a bonus for the size factor. The speaker leaves a bit to be desired, but in a situation I'd be wearing headphones anyway.

Now digirig is a nice little addition. This is the sound/rig control interface. 1 USB cable to there, and 2 more nicely coiled cables to the radio. Combined with FLrig, I have rig control for fldigi, jtx, and js8. I also tested it with winlink.

The 991 gets used everyday, this one is in a "special bag" along with the digirig and $60 evolve 3 laptop.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 11:56:34 AM »
Cool beans and thx for the review OBH!

I have to wait till January to order one and based on my little time with it and others experiences, I am going to probably pick one up. I would LOVE an IC-705 or a CTX-10 but the costs are prohibitive at this point in my life.

All good stuff!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.