Author Topic: Ear Muffs  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Ear Muffs
« on: May 24, 2022, 10:26:55 AM »
with attachable walkie talkie.

Anyone know anything?

Nemo

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021568860?pid=961102
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Ear Muffs
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 10:51:14 AM »
    First, Walkers are a good brand, they make a quality headset that works well for noise reduction.  The walkie-talkie uses FRS/GMRS channels, so it would be compatible with other FRS/GMRS radios.  Don't believe the range values they're advertising, more realistic value would be maybe a mile in typical rolling, wooded terrain.  In an AO like Johny has, or we have down here in TN, you might get just a half mile.  The price is pretty good for what you're getting.

I use a similar set-up with an external radio when I'm mowing the lawn, or working out back, so my wife can reach me.  It is handy, but you need to understand the range limitations.  Plus, anyone with a FRS/GMRS radio can listen in, so there's no privacy.

Thanks for posting that, I may pick up a pair...  Edit, I did order a pair.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:59:56 AM by Jackalope »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 11:02:25 AM »
Better get 2 pair.  Just one and you might have no one to talk to.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »
   I have other radios that will talk to it. I'll try it out and if it works well, then I may purchase another pair for range work.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 12:18:12 AM »
    I received the Walker hearing protection headset along with the FRS/GMRS attachment.  The Walker headset can be used to suppress noise by themselves, without the radio attached.  They work fine and are comfortable to wear.  The headset requires 2 AAA batteries, which were included.  The FRS/GMRS radio clips/plugs onto the headset using the existing external audio receptacle built into the headset.  The radio is easy to operate, and it requires 3 AAA batteries which were also provided.

The radio has a very short antenna, which is fine for short distances, but you'll be lucky to get more than 1/2 mile in wooded, rolling terrain.  The radio attachment clips are plastic, and as a result don't look very durable. 

This isn't an operator's headset, but it will work fine at a range, or working around the homestead.  Mine will be used mostly while riding a mower, so my wife can call me.  I'm considering purchasing another one, if Midway still has them in stock, because at $50, it's a pretty good deal.  I can always use another headset at the home gun range.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 09:14:31 AM »
Jackalope, can you swap out the antenna for a longer one (more efficient)?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 10:19:15 PM »
   I don't believe it's feasible, as the antenna is molded to the radio.  The non-removable antenna is part of the FCC type acceptance for FRS/GMRS bubble pack type radios.  The total length of the antenna is about an inch. I suppose, if you were so inclined, that you could 3-D print a new enclosure with a different antenna attachment scheme.  But it's a UHF radio powered with 3 AAA batteries, so even with a longer antenna it's not going to transmit very far. 

The better solution would be to use one of PK's Baofeng UV-5R radios in conjunction with a Retevis noise reduction headset: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3YFMKZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1   You can install an upgraded antenna on the Baofeng and then run it on the same FRS/GMRS frequencies with 5 watts output power, so the actual range would improve significantly.  Plus, you can get a variety of PTT switches, so the headset could also be used with Icom, Yaesu, Motorola, etc. radios.  That's what I've been doing in the past.  The Walker headset/radio is good for in-close comms, for those times when you don't want all those scanner/SDR listeners hearing your conversations.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 07:10:27 AM »
Wow, they look like Peltor's.

Are they Chinesium?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 10:25:54 AM »
    Of course, they are made in China.  But they work well enough.  Can't afford Peltors, but can purchase several pair of the Retevis, and they work with the Chinese made Baofeng radios. :zombitron:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:27:40 AM by Jackalope »