Author Topic: Dremel tools; What options do they give me?  (Read 1076 times)

Ghost

Dremel tools; What options do they give me?
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
So I got 3 dremel tools (I'll edit this post to say what ones they are, I don't remember off the top of my head, and I'm not about to go to my shed to find out) today as a gift. My question is what are some of the things I can do with them? I've never really looked into these puppies, nor do I have any experience with them. Anyone have em? What sort of things do you do with em?

I was fondling them earlier, just had them in my hands fiddling around, and they seem pretty solid. Some bits and stuff came with it, along with a nice carry bag for it all.

Tomorrow or sometime later this week I'll get some pictures of it, as well as any projects I get going with them.

Cheers lads

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
Re: Dremel tools; What options do they give me?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
Congrats man. I use my dremel for damn near everything. Cleaning, polishing, paint stripping, rust removal, torture.........  :lmfao: Kidding of course.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:19:30 AM »
You can use it to mass produce those wooden spoons and bowls :thumbsUp:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
They make wicked little carbide rasps for them that would be good for wood carving. I've seen chainsaw carvers using them to clean up their work.

My uncle uses one (albeit a bigger than home owner model) to cut casting from the sprew, grind down cuts and to polish jewelry. He also does a ton of model airplane stuff with it too.

I've used mine to cut very clean holes in metal for mounting switches and what not as well as all the shit WW mentioned. They are great tools for jobs too delicate for grinders.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:20:47 PM by thatGuy »

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
They've got a bit for damn near everything, so you're only limited by your imagination. One thing to point out?I used to used them with a cutting wheel in making Kydex holsters, but found they made my work sloppy by heating up and melting the plastic, leaving me with a lot of hand sanding afterwards.