Author Topic: Custom Kydex by Mlee  (Read 1512 times)

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Custom Kydex by Mlee
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
Hey Gang,

This is just a teasing placeholder.. I will be doing a review on a custom holster made by Mlee.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Custom Kydex by Mlee
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
Why use a Kydex holsters Vs. leather? I am not against it just want to know the appeal.

I am seeing that they are becoming more and more popular each year.

I only have one plastic holster and it is a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my Minute Man set-up. It serves a purpose due to the trigger locking mechanism however it is noisy.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
The custom kydex when properly fitted to the firearm is quite and that is one of the reasions that I am up grading from a retention style kydex like the Serpa.

Didn't you know those things are dangerous JMac? Tex shot his self because of that stupid trigger lock.

So Kydex vs. Leather. This is going to be hard, I really like leather.

Kydex doesn't get wet, the holster stays open, can provide retention via fit and friction instead of snaps and straps, you ever fall onto a holstered pistol?

I know there are more reasons, I'm not very creative this morning.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
No worries TG...

Yeah Tex shot himself using one however he used it wrong. Maybe because he was using different retention holsters or he is a putz.

1) He must have disengaged his safety before he withdrew his weapon and
2) He pressed the disengaging button which put his finger within the trigger guard. Proper draw is to brush your finger over the
    catch button upon drawing and not disengage the safety on the handgun until just before going into or are set in full isosceles
    stance. 

My Serpa is for my 1911 on my Minute Man Alice get-up.

My EDC for my 1911 or my wife's Ruger Sp 101 is a IWB Galco holster; both has been GREAT! My wife does not like the IWB holsters so she has a leather, clip on your belt (OWB) type again by Galco.

Anyway, not knocking anybodies choice of holster material just looking for something that might be better and looking to see why.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »
Do you think they could make a drop leg style?

Offline Mlee

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
Do you think they could make a drop leg style?

I am actually working on that design with blackhawk mounting hardware to replace the serpa that is mounted to it now. I will have some pictures up before the 25th on a new post. I am open to making custom gear.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Quote from: Mlee

I am open to making custom gear.

Too true, he doesn't mind educating his buyers either. When I contacted him about a holster the only thing I knew was the color I wanted! I am still reviewing his handywork but so far I have found it to be well fitted, though out and incredibly robust.