Author Topic: ALICE System?  (Read 2091 times)

CrystalHunter1989

ALICE System?
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
Grad school places a lot of financial burdens on folks. So why spend $250+ on MOLLE when you could get an ALICE rig (belts, suspenders, pouches and a pack) for fraction of the cost? There are plenty of warehouses that have this stuff for sale in bulk for cheap.

Yet there seems to be a lot of disdain for the old stuff, either because it's "too complicated" or "too slow." Me? I can't even afford to shoot regularly anymore, let alone throw down a wad of cash for a vest. Yes, I intend to practice with the stuff, and yes I know it has limitations.

But after reading a few discussions and seeing a few videos I'm left scratching my head. Let's not forget that the SEALs, Green Berets and so forth used this same stuff to great effect.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Re: ALICE System?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
The ALICE system was used for YEARS for a reason.  It works, period.  All of this High Speed Low Drag MOLLE stuff just came about to be away to modify what and how you carry. 

If I had say, 100 dollars right now for gear and I knew that was all I was going to have I could easily get geared up.  And I'm talking boots, rigs and pack.  At the local SURPLUS store you can get a good large ALICE w/frame for about $35.  That leaves us $65.  A new rifleman rig in woodland will cost you $25.  That leaves us $40  Spend about $20, probably less on a surplus belt and suspenders which leaves us $20.  A 2 Liter canteen and cover are about $9 (if I remember right, maybe less), a couple of AR mag pouches at $3 a piece and a small pouch for a BOK should round out the $100 total.  Of course there are taxes and you can do things to save money like skipping on a couple pouches or getting a used rifleman rig for $10 bucks less.

The old stuff works and is cheap enough to put a couple back as buddy/family rigs and it wont hurt too bad.

That said there are also other ways to get a great setup for cheap.  This of course requires some ingenuity and skill but can be done.  Here is how my most basic setup come to life.

Eagle Industries Generic chest rig without MOLLE ON SALE for $40 (saved about $40!)
Purchased some Mil shock cord, which I still have plenty of so I used about $4 worth
Used an old MOLLE panel I had laying around - FREE!!!
NeedleS and thread I already had - AGAIN FREE!!!
A little... OK A LOT of time, patience and quite a few bent sewing needles later (mind you I was sewing EVERYTHING by hand) I ended up with something even better than this...
http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle-Chest-Rig-Universal-SKD-p/eag.567.htm
And mind you, these things were about $90-100 back when I bought mine which had two pouches where the MOLLE is on that version.  So, I was able to come up with a $100+ rig for about $44 bucks!

Bandoleers are also an inexpensive and effective way to carry around more mags/ammo.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
I have three rigs.

My number one go to offensive rig is an Alice rig I call the Minute Man.

It is made up with Alice suspenders and web belt: Looking down...Left to right - a dump pouch, 2 M16 mag pouch, 2 ACP pouch for my 45 mags, Buckle (Right) Black Hawk Sherpa 1911 drop holster, a 1 qt canteen and a IFAK. I plan to put an M9 Bayonet on the left strap of the suspender when I get a few extra bucks to do so.

I can grab and go with it in a minute! My Eagle Rhodesian vest and or my Eagle body armor vest goes over it very nicely. 

Alice accessories are available and reasonably priced. 

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
while I've never owned an ALICE pack, you'll never hear me pooping on it. the way I look at it, whether it's ALICE or MOLLE or wtf ever, all you're doing is hanging extra shit from your pack and/or rig. do you REALLY see yourself desperately needing to change the accessories on your rig EXTREMELY QUICKLY??? doubtful.

like I said, whether it's MOLLE, or just freaking paracord tieing an extra piece of equip to your main pack, the end result is the same, you're just hanging extra shit from it. whatever works for you.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »
You can't go wrong with the Alice System if on a budget.  I might be getting one soon.  If you have no cash (like me) then its the way to go because it will work.  If I had the money, of course, I'd be all high speed low drag, but its just not in the cards right now.  I need a cheap chest rig and that is that its going to be right now.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
The ALICE system was fantastic!

All they have done with the MOLLE stuff is make it lighter more ergonomic and yadda yadda yadda. That old ALICE stuff still works just fine.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
i have said SOOO many times taht i love ALICE gear, a belt H harness, triple mag pouches ect.... like less than 50 for a whole set up (at a not so good estimate)

hell just today i was setting up my LBV for Pre Ranger and bitching cause the MOLLE took for fucking ever to set up, i was wishing for some ALICE gear... only thing i like more about the MOLLE vest is more surface area...

Offline TheHipsterPrepper

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »
I got my MOLLE pack from a gun show for $35 new. He had them in every color.

I'm a prepper, in a hipster kind of way.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
I got my MOLLE pack from a gun show for $35 new. He had them in every color.

now all you gotta do is spend about 10x more on a name-brand pack and you'll be ready.  ;D

lolo... j/k of course. good deal buddy.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:02:34 PM »
i really like ALICE packs, but i love the MOLLE 2 ruck that army gives you, frame is better lighter, way more user friendly in the sense that you can modifiy to run high, low ect...and the pack itself is awesome huge space, MOLLE on the outside

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Your not going to catch any flak from me. I still keep old Alice stuff laying around.

I have two different setups in Alice mostly as handout gear to friends and fam.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
My dad makes fun of me for my gear, hes still using government "donated" gear from his army days. All ALICE.