Author Topic: air purifying respirators aka Gas masks  (Read 2139 times)

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
air purifying respirators aka Gas masks
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
I'm looking into buying a sge infinity 400/3. Anyone have experience with gas masks? By experience i mean makes and models of ones you've used, I obviously know how to use them. I don't think i've seen it mentioned here on the form before.

sic luceat lux

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: air purifying respirators aka Gas masks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »
Some info including my experiences here:
http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?topic=945.0
And here:
http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?topic=3274.0

That's about all the info in this forum you'll find because a lot of the rural preppers don't believe in gas masks and think that they are a waste of money, and some here have stated emphatically that they would rather die if their nearby nuclear reactor had a leak or meltdown.  Go figure.  ::)  (I'm pretty sure this will get some dogs barking.)
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
I forgot about those threads. what sites have you done business with. I was looking at approvedgasmasks.com but ive heard a unconfirmed report of them charging to much.
sic luceat lux

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
@v0dka
Masks cost more from approvedgasmasks.com because they sell only new production, unexpired, unused masks, as opposed to just about everything else that is out there that is surplus.  I have done business with them in the past and am satisfied.

@Walker
There's no real sense in getting into the specialized gear and filters unless your just swimming in money and have nothing better to spend it on.  The whole argument about "I'm not going to bother with a gas mask that will protect me from things like volcanic ash, radioactive particles, the zombie flu virus, tear gas, etc.,... because it won't protect me from every possible type of chemical known to man"  is getting old and counter productive.  A good fitting mask with NBC filters will protect you in many situations (but not necessarily all) without breaking the bank.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:46:19 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
What sort of protection are you looking for?  What hazards?  For how long?  As there is not any "one type" filter that does all, nor one mask that will fit well on every face.  Also, depending upon the hazard, it may be wise to pay to get a quantitative fit test to ensure your gear works.
I do realize that i'm a hazmat tech.  I simply asking wheres a decent place to buy from and what models people have used.
sic luceat lux

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »
@v0dka
Masks cost more from approvedgasmasks.com because they sell only new production, unexpired, unused masks, as opposed to just about everything else that is out there that is surplus.  I have done business with them in the past and am satisfied.

That's what i though the model i was looking at was actually cheaper then other sites. I wonder where that comment came from.

You have any suggestions? As i said i'm looking at the sge infinity 400/3
sic luceat lux

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »
...simply asking wheres a decent place to buy from and what models people have used.
Sorry, I have no experience with the SGE Infinity.

Just in case you didn't read it, I'm very impressed with the Scott M95.  I have new and surplus ones.  It's very forgiving for face sizes and shapes.  The last place I bought the surplus ones from (keepshooting.com / they call then "Finnish m95"), is now sold out of them.

I do not like the Israeli Military M15.  It didn't fit well... it was too small and the rubber was too hard to make a good seal... oh yeah, and it fogged really bad.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
I just took a good look at the SGE Infinity...

It appears to have a good field of view, a well made orinasal cup to prevent fogging, and is likely very comfortable due to design and silicone material.  However, I am concerned about being about to see rifle sites because it appears to sit a little far off the face, especially in the cheek/jaw area.  There's a reason militaries choose specific masks.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »
Seems to have the same amount of offset as other masks. If i can't get a good site picture with irons that will just justify the purchase of a eotech. :P
sic luceat lux

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
http://www.legionsafety.com/msa-ultra-twin-full-mask-respirator.html

I had a job making tear gas for 3 years. (about 25 years ago) I think it was an MSA. It looked something like this, but the filters were a little wider. I do know it was the same one, I wore into the gas chamber in boot camp. (35 years ago) It used two filters, and had more of a full view like this one. Anyway, it worked good and I never had any problems with it. 3 years, 5 days a week, 8 hrs. a day. I hoped this helped. I never tried any other types, so I can't say how well they work. Also, model numbers may have changed some. Some models may have been discontinued. That's why I say, it looked like this one. I do know that it was the same one I had to use in the Navy.

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
That mask is more for industrial use. It doesn't use 40mm filters. While its simliar to 40mm gas mask it won't offer as much nbc protection ( i believe).

Anyway i'll be ordering the mask in the next couple days and receive it next week.
sic luceat lux

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »
Good to know.