Author Topic: Spam Can Wood Stove...A working progress.  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Mlee

• Novice Prepper
Spam Can Wood Stove...A working progress.
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:33:47 AM »
So you have stored up a lot of surplus ammo and have gone through a few spam cans which you have been saving for something useful. The idea came to me when I was freezing my  ass off in my work shop, working on a parts kit in the middle of winter with no heat. The first attempt which was successful was to mimic the survival stove that uses two paint cans with holes drilled. It worked well for boiling water but lacked fuel capacity and burned through it to quickly to be useful as a heater. After coming up with a use for spam cans I have lying around, this is what I have come up with. I still need to add air intake holes in the door, make an exhaust chimney with a flute with an exhaust fan for use as a heater and pant it. I thought about cutting a hole and rigging up a computer fan to the bottom with a variable speed control to stoke up the fire. If I rigged the exhaust to my barbeque, I think this stove could also double for a cold smoker.  So far it has worked for boiling water and melting wax for my favorite load, Wax Slugs! 
All feedback is welcomed.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:40:32 AM by Mlee »
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Spam Can Wood Stove...A working progress.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »
AH! that is fucking epic!

Are those spam cans really standing to the heat of a wood fire?

Offline Mlee

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:57:54 AM »
Thanks man. So far the heat of the fire of the numerous time I have had long, hot wood fires going has not compromised the structural integrity of the cans. It seems to be holding up well. The design is as simple as it looks. Welding the thin sheet metal is a real pain in the ass though.   
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
I'm glad it's working out for you!

Welding sheet metal can be a challenge at the best of times and a down right pain at the worst.

Have you given any thought to how your going to attach a stove pipe to that sweet little deal?

Offline Mlee

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:09 AM »
I'm glad it's working out for you!

Welding sheet metal can be a challenge at the best of times and a down right pain at the worst.

Have you given any thought to how your going to attach a stove pipe to that sweet little deal?

I am going to make a fitting out of metal tubing and weld it to the top and take a trip to the hardware store and pick up some heating ducts for the exhaust. I will make a flute for it also. When I get the time to finish it, I will post updates with photos of it in actions.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
You could cut notches into the end of a stove pipe and bend them 90 degrees to the pipe and then screw the whole deal to the top of the stove. A little stove sealer aka fire caulk would keep everything nice and tight.

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
Oh man i have to try this.
Thats freaking epic

Offline Mlee

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:57:45 AM »
You could cut notches into the end of a stove pipe and bend them 90 degrees to the pipe and then screw the whole deal to the top of the stove. A little stove sealer aka fire caulk would keep everything nice and tight.

I like that idea. Thanks for the input.