Author Topic: 300 AAC Blackout  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: 300 AAC Blackout
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
im interested to see what the ballistics of the round actually are ...it would seem that if you took the same case and added a heavier bullet it will move slower and what ever you gain in momentum you lose in velocity so your back at square one on improving the range of the cartridge. long story short it would seem like an expensive way to gain little to nothing.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
nola, did you buy a chevy volt as soon as it came out too?

all i'm saying is if you want an ak round, buy an ak
if you want an ar platform buy an ar15

maybe it's an ok round idk, but until it's $4 a box for ammo and available at walmart, with years of reputation being earned
you can count me out  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
If i was 21 and could get a suppressor i'd be all over this.
It's a niche round that has the ability to operate outside of it's niche.
It's no 6.8 or other equivalent.
sic luceat lux

Colombo

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 01:24:30 PM »
Enough pussy footing around.

This round as being discussed has a primary use as a killing weapon for use against hostile humans. It has been made to take advantage of the obfuscation and misdirection advantages of a silencer or suppressor specifically. It mimics the capabilities of the ak round for normal (unsuppressed) use with some additional options for almost silent work (handy for popping game without waking the neighborhood too) The strength of this round lies primarily as a force multiplier for sneaky deceitful SOBs who want to take down opposition with as much of an advantage in time, concealment and sometimes misdirection as possible (you can actually bounce a bullets ballistic crack off of hard objects at the bad end, hint: target selection). This round requires practice and knowledge of its ballistics to take longer shots but is not by any means limited to 300 yards. The penetration at 500 yards with heavy bullets will exceed the standard ak round at 300 (that's the advantage of momentum over energy that's often overlooked). The accuracy at 500 yards is also excellent for a trained individual.

Look at this round as the latest hot mall ninja toy OR something to cheat with and slaughter your enemies.

Pretty pointless in my opinion without a can though.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
nola, did you buy a chevy volt as soon as it came out too?

all i'm saying is if you want an ak round, buy an ak
if you want an ar platform buy an ar15

maybe it's an ok round idk, but until it's $4 a box for ammo and available at walmart, with years of reputation being earned
you can count me out 

I just this it's pretty nifty that you can switch between two calibers and use the same bolt/mags/ everything but the barrel. do I plan on going out at buying a 300Blk upper? hell no. I don't even have enough money to shoot 5.56 right now. but like I said I just think it's a cool concept and if the price comes down in the future then it may be a very practical system. the ballistics data that I looked at shows the 300 exceeding the ballistics of 7.62x39, with roughly the same maximum effective range.

and to those who have said "just buy an AK".. well sure, I can see your point, but you can't load up an AR mag with 7.62x39 and slap in into your AR.

and as far as cost efficiency. yea, that sumbitch is damn expensive right now, but in comparison: Colt just recently released the SP101....? (I may be wrong on the actual model name) and it basically offers the ability to switch between 5.56 and .308 in the same lower/magwell. but you still need separate uppers (obviously) and you need AR10 mags even though the magwell will accept both. all that being said, that rifle is interesting, but it's still not as convenient or efficient as the 300Blk concept, and that rifle runs for around $2400, and that's not counting the 2nd upper. (of course, we all know that .308 is far superior to x39 and/or 300blk, so I'm not arguing that)

for all intents and purposes, all you guys that are being highly critical of this, well I think you're 100% correct. especially coming from a prepper's standpoint. cost efficiency should be up in the top ten terms in the prepper's vocabulary. all I'm saying is that I think the concept is pretty unique and interesting, and it may be worth keeping an eye on to see if it gains popularity, which would subsequently drop the price.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Colombo

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
One more thing to add, penetration with 200 grain cast lead bullets is excessive, front shot in the chest of a deer and out the ass pretty much intact with ruined meat all the way. Rebarreled cz527.

1000meterstare

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »
The only thing the 300 blackout "exceeds" at is the price I'm willing to pay.  I'm like Donna Summer; I work hard for the money... [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:54 PM »
i had to google donna summer

but nice one my friend  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
The only thing the 300 blackout "exceeds" at is the price I'm willing to pay.  I'm like Donna Summer; I work hard for the money...

you're right, I'm sure the ballistics tables that I looked at were just flat-out lies.

(and also, I'm sure that every new caliber ever invented was dirt cheap right at the moment it was released)  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Bobruffles

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
The only thing the 300 blackout "exceeds" at is the price I'm willing to pay.  I'm like Donna Summer; I work hard for the money...

you're right, I'm sure the ballistics tables that I looked at were just flat-out lies.

(and also, I'm sure that every new caliber ever invented was dirt cheap right at the moment it was released)  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

JUST LIKE 5.7x28 and 6.8 and 17hmr and 4.6x30! Oh wait all of those are really expensive too.  :-X :-X

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »

JUST LIKE 5.7x28 and 6.8 and 17hmr and 4.6x30! Oh wait all of those are really expensive too.  :-X :-X

do I really need to give you a capitalism lesson?

ok.  supply and demand.

if the caliber gains any popularity, that will motivate the market to bring prices down as different manufacturers compete with each other. (plus none of the calibers you listed are capable of interchanging with a 5.56 bolt/magazine so it's a moot point. not even comparable)

I'm not praising this caliber, I just think it's a cool idea. and hopefully the price may come down in the future IF popularity increases enough to stimulate the market.

I simply don't get what's so difficult for some of you guys to understand.

1000meterstare

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
NOLA 5.56 screwed with the wrong bear on the topic of supply and demand.  I have a degree in Economics, do you?  I have a very acute inderstanding of free-markets, blah, blah, blah.  If you read in any Economics text or canon, you will find out by definition it is the study of choices.  I choose the 7.62 x 39 because it offers me, personally, the most "utility."  (Also an economics term).  For someone else with a different weapons or income structure other rounds may offer more "utility."  Side note:  the 17 hmr is a 17-grain joke that is affected by the slightest breeze, the 4.6 is only useful in close quarters, the 5.7 is a joke on the energy scale and the ability to penetrate cover.  BTW - the 300 blackout is a 125 grainer moving at 2200 to 2250 fps (probably less in real life 'cuz most people take those fashionable short m4 barrels that are in vogue).  The 7.62 x 39 is a 124-grainer moving at 2330 fps out of a 16.25" barrel real-world ballistics.

Bobruffles

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »
NOLA 5.56 screwed with the wrong bear on the topic of supply and demand.  I have a degree in Economics, do you?  I have a very acute inderstanding of free-markets, blah, blah, blah.  If you read in any Economics text or canon, you will find out by definition it is the study of choices.  I choose the 7.62 x 39 because it offers me, personally, the most "utility."  (Also an economics term).  For someone else with a different weapons or income structure other rounds may offer more "utility."  Side note:  the 17 hmr is a 17-grain joke that is affected by the slightest breeze, the 4.6 is only useful in close quarters, the 5.7 is a joke on the energy scale and the ability to penetrate cover.  BTW - the 300 blackout is a 125 grainer moving at 2200 to 2250 fps (probably less in real life 'cuz most people take those fashionable short m4 barrels that are in vogue).  The 7.62 x 39 is a 124-grainer moving at 2330 fps out of a 16.25" barrel real-world ballistics.

That argument sounds a bit one-sided. 7.62x39 is not the end all rifle round.

Ghost

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »
Shit guys really? What round you choose is your personal preference, based on a whole host of things.

If you all really want to banter on, can y'all do it in PMs? This stuff is getting kind of silly. Seems there are always some people arguing about things that don't need arguing.

Dammit, I'm Moderating again.... ::) C:-)

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »
7.62x39 awesome caliber for an awesome platform
5.56x45 awesome caliber, completely different mindset from the ak47

300 blackout  who the fuck knows it just came out

now yall play nice before i pull out my mod gun and start cappin bitches

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »
i say if you want a .30 fighting rifle go some sort of .308 or an AK. because its cheaper and will mess shit up too.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
This thread has lead me to the clear absolute decision to go 17 HMR on my primary.

Simplicity Is Ideal...

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
This thread has lead me to the clear absolute decision to go 17 HMR on my primary.

sheeeit i was thinking the same thing

Ghost

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »

Pfft, you don't need guns man. FEMA and Homeland will protect us if something happens. Plus we've always got 911, that's way better than 7.62, 5.56, 300AAC, AND .308 combined.

Sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face :))

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

Pfft, you don't need guns man. FEMA and Homeland will protect us if something happens. Plus we've always got 911, that's way better than 7.62, 5.56, 300AAC, AND .308 combined.

Sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face :))

Just add the Mandatory Smiley Insert.  ::)
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »
300 AAC Blackout Suppressed

pretty damn badass....if you ask me...

Colombo

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »
Oh good lord please not again [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
Oh good lord please not again [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

lol just listen to how quiet that is. having at least one guy with this would be of great benefit in a WROL sit. IMO...

jus sayin....

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
hELLO ALL RON L HERE

I'm Glad that even with some snipeing at each other, we can all see and know we can and will pick the weapon and caliber that supports our wants and needs? Thats the wonderfull thing about living in america, we can still pick and chose, unlike our breatheren inthe UK and many other places? Rejoice in that choice I say?

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
You know whats funny, I started a section on 300 blackout somewhere, and nobody knew what I was talking about. Then some ballistics guy comes and says Its 7.62x39 hur hur hur. Now Hickok makes a vid and every body is like Its the greatest thing since sliced bread! Guess I'm a hipster.  :D

lol it was probably me
I still kinda think that though