Author Topic: 300 AAC Blackout  (Read 5150 times)

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
300 AAC Blackout
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
opinions? I've heard it mentioned before, but I never looked into what it actually was until today. IT'S F'ING BRILLIANT!!!!

i want opinions from anyone who has any experience with this caliber to lay out anything and everything they have to say about it. if I hear good things, this may alter my aspirations for my next firearm-related purchase.

one specific point that I want to find out about is AMMO AVAILABILITY. it seems like a fairly uncommon caliber so would it be practical to buy a 300Blk upper if ammo is scarce?

http://300aacblackout.com/

300 AAC Blackout
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
Re: 300 AAC Blackout
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
You know whats funny, I started a section on 300 blackout somewhere, and nobody knew what I was talking about. Then some ballistics guy comes and says Its 7.62x39 hur hur hur. Now Hickok makes a vid and every body is like Its the greatest thing since sliced bread! Guess I'm a hipster.  :D
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
You know whats funny, I started a section on 300 blackout somewhere, and nobody knew what I was talking about. Then some ballistics guy comes and says Its 7.62x39 hur hur hur. Now Hickok makes a vid and every body is like Its the greatest thing since sliced bread! Guess I'm a hipster.  :D

never saw the thread.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

never saw the thread.

I think it was on LnL, In its last days.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
well either way, if the caliber gains popularity and more companies start to manufacture it, with any luck, price will come down and it would be a viable option.

the concept is fucking genius, but from what I'm seeing, availability and price make it less than practical. I sure hope this country hangs on long enough for this caliber to catch on and drive the price down because it seems like a promising new product.

(of all people, I really want to see what Reaver has to say about this.)

Colombo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
I'm no Reaver but...

Been loading and shooting for this cartridge for 5 years, mostly for the old non-sami spec 300 whisper. Stupid easy forming and trimming of milsurp 5.56 brass.
    For full potential and range of use I would seriously consider paying for the tax stamp and buying or making a can for this round. In an ar the selection of powder is more limited than a bolt action but there is still a wide variety of loads for bullet weights from 125 grain to 220s. The ar magazine has some limits on the cartridge also, do your research and think thru your intended use. Looks good for off the shelf ammo if you don't roll your own and don't mind paying good coin for it. Subsonic has a rainbow like but very consistent trajectory (better be good at doping those distance shots accurately). 150 grain or heavier bullets carry there momentum better than the 7.62 X 39, I've never shot anything heavier than 150 grain bullets out of an ak.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »
I'm no Reaver but...

Been loading and shooting for this cartridge for 5 years, mostly for the old non-sami spec 300 whisper. Stupid easy forming and trimming of milsurp 5.56 brass.
    For full potential and range of use I would seriously consider paying for the tax stamp and buying or making a can for this round. In an ar the selection of powder is more limited than a bolt action but there is still a wide variety of loads for bullet weights from 125 grain to 220s. The ar magazine has some limits on the cartridge also, do your research and think thru your intended use. Looks good for off the shelf ammo if you don't roll your own and don't mind paying good coin for it. Subsonic has a rainbow like but very consistent trajectory (better be good at doping those distance shots accurately). 150 grain or heavier bullets carry there momentum better than the 7.62 X 39, I've never shot anything heavier than 150 grain bullets out of an ak.

pretty good run-down columbo. (lol, the only reason I asked for reaver is because he's so in love with his AK, i wonder how he'll feel about the AR world stealing his precious caliber.  >:D)

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
There are other reasons I don't like the AR

Caliber isn't the biggest. Design is.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »

pretty good run-down columbo. (lol, the only reason I asked for reaver is because he's so in love with his AK, i wonder how he'll feel about the AR world stealing his precious caliber.  >:D)

LOL!  That made me laugh!  That's pretty funny!  I'm sure he'll have something to say about it.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Colombo

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »

In the interest of pissing in everyones breakfast cereal the guns I have at the ready are in alphabetical order  Ak in 7.62x39, Ak in 7.62x51, Ar in 5.56, Cetme 7.62x51, M1 garand (no caliber explanation needed) Mossberg 590 modified to a rifled barrel (I like to cheat).

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »

I was looking for something more like, " Alright! A 300 yard AR.  What will they think of next!"

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »

I was looking for something more like, " Alright! A 300 yard AR.  What will they think of next!"

lol..

backwoodsboy

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
guys i think this is a great idea, but if i want something that shoots a round like a ak..i want a AK, but if i want 223 ill gladly use a ar, i would rather have ak reliability if i spend my money. but remember, guns are like girls, we all have opinions about which one is better. just thought i would throw that out there. and i do hope the make this more popular.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
guys i think this is a great idea, but if i want something that shoots a round like a ak..i want a AK, but if i want 223 ill gladly use a ar, i would rather have ak reliability if i spend my money. but remember, guns are like girls, we all have opinions about which one is better. just thought i would throw that out there. and i do hope the make this more popular.

Anybody else impressed with backwoods occasional input? Not the input itself, but the fact that is is topical and makes seance, and lacks jackassery. [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »

well from what I can see about this caliber, it's more about convenience and versatility than anything. all you need is a 300 upper and everything else is compatible. bolt is compatible, mags are compatible, lower, etc. I thinks it's freakin brilliant.

my buddy is all obsessed with this new Colt rifle that is a crossbreed between 5.56 and .308 but not only does it require different uppers, it's also different mags and some gay little magwell conversion piece. of course, x39 has nothing on .308, but it's still a viable 30cal round from an AR, just change the upper and everything else is compatible. (really just change the barrel, but that's not as convenient)

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »

your not a hipster because you knew about 300blkout, before it was mainstream....

LOLOOLOL

backwoodsboy

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Thanks spirit i have been working on not being so rude about opinions not just on here but at school also, i thought i had a lot of friends at the beggining of the year but now almost everyone is walking around telling me hey and shaking my hand. no that i ask people now how i was before they say "i thought u were a asshole". anyways back to topic i think this would be a good caliber if the weapon will cycle cheap wolf ammo around 5 dollars a box are in that range.i can honestly say this is a perfect weapon for some one stuck between a ar or ak now that i watched the video.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:29 PM »
holy crap 697.50 at AIM for 1000rds....

backwoodsboy

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »
lmao thats way out of budget for me or anyone i know.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 12:29:33 AM »
holy crap 697.50 at AIM for 1000rds....

... I know man.. but like I said before, with any luck, if it gains popularity, there will be more competition in the market which would drive the price way down.

Offline Oldannyboy37

• Prepper Apprentice
  • Don't Tread on Me.
    • My Youtube Page.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 02:36:12 AM »
I've actually been following the .300's escape from obscurity for a month or so now lol.

It looks like  a fantastic round and I'd love to own one if the price of ammo for it ever goes down to a reasonable price.

Also, cheap uppers from DSA. You can just slap any 5.56/223 bolt in there and all that other stuff and it will work. Check em out here.

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver-300AAC---DSZM4CBU300/productinfo/DSZM4CBU300/
Etsi ambulavero in valle umbrae mortis non timebo malum quoniam tu mecum es.

Offline Oldannyboy37

• Prepper Apprentice
  • Don't Tread on Me.
    • My Youtube Page.
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 03:13:36 AM »
Here's something interesting I found.

To assemble a .300 Blackout with the DSA upper I showed you in the link with a Mil-Spec bold carrier group (Daniel Defense), a plain Jane charging handle, and a Mil-Spec lower receiver it would cost about an average of $713. That's without a rear sight, optics, magazines, or ammo.

You could probably factor in about $100-$250 on average for a change in furniture.......exceeding that if you splurge on a rail system.

So really the most expensive part of a .300 build would be stocking up on ammo. It uses the same bolt and magazines as the .223/5.56 so ammo would be the biggest difference between building one of these and building a 5.56 Mil-Spec AR-15.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »
I have an idea.
Take all of that money, and buy your self 2 extra K in ammo.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

If nothing happens for 15 years & ammo prices fall dramatically, then go ahead shoot up all that 5.56 and buy 300AAC

The choice is completely obvious in my eyes, and the only upper I would blow money on with ammo that high would be the .50 Beuwolf.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline Oldannyboy37

• Prepper Apprentice
  • Don't Tread on Me.
    • My Youtube Page.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
I have an idea.
Take all of that money, and buy your self 2 extra K in ammo. 

I can agree with that lol.

1000meterstare

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
I don't think I'll go to a caliber that mimics the 7.62 x 39 ballistics at 5 -7 times the price.  I'll just stick with my AK round.  I'm funny that way...I've never been butt-raped and I don't intend to start now. :))