Author Topic: Gonna try growing some mushrooms!  (Read 512 times)

hjmoosejaw

Gonna try growing some mushrooms!
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »

Dad and I are gonna try growing some mushrooms. This video is a sample of how some can be grown. Dad's 91 now and has always went out looking for mushrooms, but he can't walk as far in the woods as he use to. This is the next best thing. We have about 8 logs right now to get started. They can take 6 to 12 months to come in. We're also going to buy a kit, so he can get started growing them indoors in a couple of weeks. That way, he can harvest some sooner. He's anxious to see some grow. Like I said, he's 91, and 6 to 12 months can be a long time. Anyway, maybe if we have some luck, I'll be able to post pictures later on.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
Re: Gonna try growing some mushrooms!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
shiitake mushrooms are delicious.  Good post.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
 [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

keep us updated. mushrooms is one thing that I've never even thought to grow. I'd really like to see how it turns out.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:15 PM »
One video I watched had an older couple growing some and they said their's have come back for 7 or 8 years.  So I figure if I start a few logs every couple of years for a while, I'll be set. I've never eaten Shitakes, I'm sure I'll like them though. We're also trying White Button Mushrooms, Hen's of the Woods, and maybe some Chicken of the Woods or Lions Mane. I'll give it a try, but after all, mushrooms are mushrooms, they can be finicky.

Offline Treaded

• Prepper
    • The Lizard Farmer's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
I wonder how attracted to them hogs would be.  I know a pig can smell a mushroom from a pretty good distance.