Author Topic: Validity Of This Type Equipment?  (Read 684 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Validity Of This Type Equipment?
« on: August 26, 2018, 10:19:26 PM »
Is there any?

I can forward the email to anyone interested or can post here, if appropriate?

Nemo

From the Email.

Pics did not come over.

State of the Art US Military Camo Nets That Protect From Thermal Viewers!
Provides concealment from visual, radar and infrared detection!!
Real World Test Picture

This photo was taken on a hot summer day at just 15 feet away, with the man holding the net to cover half his body. As you can see the net provides enough reduction in thermal signature to disguise his location even at such a close distance. The net material is also worked as designed and has the same temperature and thermal signature as the grass in the field so the net itself does not stand out, unlike the other fabric making up the tents in the background. This netting will hide you from thermal viewers of all kinds, from handheld units to ones in aircraft or drones.
A heads up- this supply is gone after this. We were able to get small batches of these nets factory new that came from a contract issue that left the manufacturer stuck with some. We just got the very last ones available. There is none of this sold surplus, the government shreds it all because they do not want it sold, treating it like they do weapons or similar items. Last time we got some of this it sold out fast, and this time we only have about 18 of each of the bigger sizes we can offer now once we fill all the existing back orders.

This is the latest US Military issue camo netting, called the ULCANS system. It provides not just visual concealment but also is radar scattering and provides a minimum of an 80% reduction in thermal signature.

In addition to the thermal signature reduction it is engineered to heat and cool just like vegetation. This is extremely important, because if you are using one of the space-blanket style thermal barriers it may block your signature, but if it heats or cools differently than the vegetation around it it will still stand out like a A military HMMWV with warm engine bare and behind the netting. sore thumb.

We have some small 3'x6' individual nets, as well as the limited supply of larger sized pieces for hiding vehicles, big tents or even small buildings that can be used alone or hooked together to make an even bigger net. We are unsure of future supply, so while we are taking back orders after we run out of we can not promise we can fill them- we will not make any charges or billing unless we get the item in to ship.

These nets are all brand new, not surplus.

We have full details, size breakdowns and ordering info at the website- be sure to check it out!

Size chart to show how the nets can be hooked together

LInk from Email.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/camonetting.html

The Old Grouch's Military Surplus

Home > New Stuff and Specials > Camo Netting
This netting is in very short supply!
Camo Netting
---- a word of caution- we have discovered there is now knock-off netting being made to look like this stuff, but it is not radar scattering nor is it engineered for Thermal screening. We have the real stuff, make sure any other vendor has the real stuff also is shopping elsewhere!---

We just got a very, very limited supply of the latest military issue camouflage netting. Known as the ULCANS (Ultra Lightweight Camouflage Netting System) it is a much better system.

From the manufacturers brochure:

"ULCANS enhances force survivability by protecting against visual, as well as modern infrared, near infrared, and radar threats. The threat has changed in the twenty-five years since the last update to U.S. screen camouflage. Sophisticated sensors, exploiting cuts of the spectrum unthinkable a quarter century ago, are now fielded in quantity to the traditional threats and proliferated to the asymmetrical threat."

Full brochure here:

http://ufile.alephnetwork.com/b2gmarket/ULCANS.pdf

The thermal signature of anything underneath is reduced by 80% using this netting! In addition it heats and cools at the same rate as vegetation so it maintains the same thermal background signature as the environment warms and cools.

We have 3 sizes- the large ones are a diamond and hex shape, that can be hooked together. The diamond measures 27.9x16.1 feet for 224.5 sq ft of coverage.. The hex measures 32.2 x27.9ft for 673.6 sq ft of coverage. The hex is by far the best value for your money.

They can be hooked together to for sizes as big as you may wish.

A good breakdown of how they can be hooked together is in the manual at the link below (copy and paste into your browser) on page 1-7.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-1080-250-12-and-P.pdf

Finally we have a few smaller "individual" sized peices, they measure 3'x6' and are ideal for use to hide a person or small tent, or hook a few together for a bigger tent.

ULCANS Camouflage Netting Large Sizes
ULCANS Camouflage Netting Large Sizes
$149.95
   ULCANS Camo Netting Individual Size 6.5'x3'
ULCANS Camo Netting Individual Size 6.5'x3'
$24.95
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:21:29 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Validity Of This Type Equipment?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »
    It depends upon your expected usage.  Do you plan to be in a woodlands doing some evasive maneuvers?  It's a good price, if it works as advertised.  The price is low enough that I may try one just to see how it performs with my thermal equipment.  Thermal technology continues to improve however, and these nets may not be effective with the next generation of thermal scopes/viewers, and it may be why they have been surplussed.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
    I received some of the ULCANS netting from Old Grouch.  First, the individual size 3' x 6.5' is not real usable for evading a thermal viewer, as it is just too small, unless perhaps, you were using it over a trench, or laying flat on the ground.  Otherwise, I don't believe it would provide sufficient coverage.  This ULCANS netting is a porous mesh covered with bits of of material to resemble leafy foliage, much like many types of hunting camouflage.

So, how does it work?  Is it effective at concealing a thermal signature?  That's a negative Ghostrider!  I'm not impressed.

My lovely assistant agreed to help me last night so that we could check the effectiveness of the netting.  The ambient temperature was 40 degrees F (3 degrees C).  We didn't stay outdoors too long because of the temperature, and the chorus of some nearby coyotes.. Using a PVS-14, the netting is effective for camouflage, especially in the monochromatic display of the night vision device.  It would blend in reasonably well used at night, when it is viewed by the naked eye or a night vision device.

I then tried looking at it with a very low resolution thermal sight, a Torrey Pines Logic T-12N.  The Torrey Pines Logic T-12N is about as basic as you can get.  I like them because they're extremely portable, and they're relatively low cost.  I use mine to keep an eye out for coyotes and bears when I'm doing things in the yard at night. My assistant was dressed in a hoodie and jeans, with the camouflage netting draped over her.  Using the thermal sight, I was able to plainly see her silhouette through the netting.  I was even able to see her face, and hands, as they were not covered by any clothing.  So, I'd say the ULCANS is not effective by any means at concealing a human.  After this experiment I would certainly not expect to use it in a life or death situation if I expected opponents to be using thermal sighting devices.  I'll continue my search for a more effective thermal concealment.  The netting could perhaps be used in conjunction with a better thermal barrier.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
I looked at how one of those type things was constructed and came to the conclusion that I could make one out of two mylar Space Blankets, 1" thick polyester batting, and some camo cloth. The size would be much larger and sewing it together with a large X pattern and around the perimeter would work. Now all I need to do is get motivated to build one. I already have everything I need except the polyester batting and I can get that from our local sewing shop. I also think that building one from Space blankets would be good for laying it on the ground and using it as a thermal barrier to sleep on.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
radiant barrier is a possibility for a smaller thermal mass.
it reflects heat from both sides without heating itself. 
its commonly used in house construction - tough and fairly cheap.  not as cheap as a mylar blanket but it provides a good amount of structural strength.