Author Topic: The Mighty .22 LR As A Prepper Defensive Main Battle Rifle  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
Re: The Mighty .22 LR As A Prepper Defensive Main Battle Rifle
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
sorry to hear that man, its a good thing your dad was a tough kid. your dad ever killed a deer with a 22?

Hey bwb, Just a tip its not polite to go asking around about these issues.

He's still young. Like the brat that runs around the poker game inhaling 2nd hand smoke all night long.

Well at least he'll learn.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

1000meterstare

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
The .22lr definitely has a place, but not as a defensive or main battle rifle.  That's why God invented the M1A and the FN/FAL.  The .22 bolt-action I have is to keep my belly full. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
Nope can go with you all on this one!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »
Hello all, RON L here

Nope, while I see 22LR AS AN AWESOME ROUND AND CAPABLE OF SO MANY APPLICATIONS, I FEEL IT FALLS SHORT FOR A MBR! It will gather my Food, serve in a Pinch if I have no Others but will not take the Place of my AK or one day 308 semi auto!  I do have Both a Good 22LR Rifle/Carbine i  a Marlin Papoose and a Yet Unproven Sterling Target Pistol, this round will be used for applications outside main battle.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »
LOL!  There are those responses I thought would show up.  Trust me, my AK's are not up for sale.  But let me ask.  What is the purpose of a defensive main battle rifle for not a guerrilla fighter, not a militia member,  not a soldier, but a prepper looking to defend their supplies an/or family's living space?

What is the Main Battle Rifle supposed to accomplish for that person.  To kill attackers, to dissuade attackers, the .22LR will accomplish that function.  Other rifles will as well and I'm not saying something else wouldn't kill attackers more efficiently.  But also at a much higher cost or investment.  Plus I'll guarantee that when all other ammo is gone or unavailable and those larger weapons are reduced to being used for clubs.  The .22LR will still be available to trade for.   :)         
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:11:00 AM by sledge »

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
LOL!  There are those responses I thought would show up.  Trust me, my AK's are not up for sale.  But let me ask.  What is the purpose of a defensive main battle rifle for not a guerrilla fighter, not a militia member,  not a soldier, but a prepper looking to defend their supplies an/or family's living space?

What is the Main Battle Rifle supposed to accomplish for that person.  To kill attackers, to dissuade attackers, the .22LR will accomplish that function.  Other rifles will as well and I'm not saying something else wouldn't kill attackers more efficiently.  But also at a much higher cost or investment.  Plus I'll guarantee that when all other ammo is gone or unavailable.  The .22LR will still be available to trade for.   :)         
Trust me, I get the importance of a good .22lr. If I could I'd go back and make that the first gun I bought aside from my pistol. Now in their and my own defense here are a few reason I'd go with an AK or AR as my MBR.

#1 Effective range.
#2 Parts. Though I don't doubt there will be  number of .22s out there the standard parts for an AR or AK will likely be more available.
#3 .22 Semi-automatics do not have the greatest life span and many are plagued with reoccuring issues. The S&W MP15-22 is a good example.
#4 I would strongly prefer a centerfire round over a rimfire. Personal preference, but I would feel for obvious reasons.
#5 Penetration. Namely level 3a or better depending on the ammo. This is mainly because of the numerous gun preppers out there that have BA. You can say a .22lr will do the job when applied to the face, but everyone knows the majority of fired rounds hit center mass and in a heated situation I doubt many will have the nerves to pull it off. Though who knows. I'm sure there are some professional ninjas in here.  ::)

That said, it's a good choice for a woman who can't handle the weight or recoil of a standard AR or AK. They're great for cheap ammo, trading, small game, and just plain fun.

"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »

What is the Main Battle Rifle supposed to accomplish for that person.  To kill attackers, to dissuade attackers, the .22LR will accomplish that function.  Other rifles will as well and I'm not saying something else wouldn't kill attackers more efficiently.  But also at a much higher cost or investment.  Plus I'll guarantee that when all other ammo is gone or unavailable.  The .22LR will still be available to trade for.   :)         

#3 .22 Semi-automatics do not have the greatest life span and many are plagued with reoccuring issues. The S&W MP15-22 is a good example.

really?  cause my dads ruger has about 100,000 rounds through it without a part changed out yet......

and with good mags and ammunition they run longer than a centerfire does without issue
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
For some reason, out of nowhere, I started thinking about a copy of Ol' Yellar I read when I was a kid.  Most of ya'll have probably never heard of that book.  Anyway, there are some situations in some parts of the country where a .22LR just wouldn't do. 

Looking down the barrel of my trusty .22LR at a charging brown bear would be one of those situations.    :-\   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:46:33 PM by sledge »

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
really?  cause my dads ruger has about 100,000 rounds through it without a part changed out yet......
and with good mags and ammunition they run longer than a centerfire does without issue
Yeah, the gun shop I usually go to I've come across a few guys bitching about them and swayed me away from buying one altogether originally. That and one of my friends run the seventh largest gun store in America and he's had the same issues. It's like buying a coffee machine. You might have one for 25 years that serves you well. Then you might go through 2 or 3 that break in a matter of a year.
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »

Yeah, the gun shop I usually go to I've come across a few guys bitching about them and swayed me away from buying one altogether originally. That and one of my friends run the seventh largest gun store in America and he's had the same issues. It's like buying a coffee machine. You might have one for 25 years that serves you well. Then you might go through 2 or 3 that break in a matter of a year.

There is some truth to that.

Marlin 60
Marlin Model 60W Repair Job !!!

Sorry, couldn't find one on the Ruger 10/22

backwoodsboy

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »
even though i have several 22s a browning t bolt is my next 22 buy, i was wondering, is a 22 mag worth the extra money you will spend on ammo? this is the next one i want http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=021B&cid=025&tid=207&bg=x

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »
BWB, for about the same $$$ you could put together a Frankensteined AR. Then buy a .22LR drop in bolt for your new AR.  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »
idk, its just me and having really nice guns that you can show your hunting buddies and be proud of. i want to buy high quality guns i can pass on if i ever have gandkids, i know when go to my hunting lease i feel good to get out of my dads truck with one of my grandpas guns.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
Gun snob [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »
idk, its just me and having really nice guns that you can show your hunting buddies and be proud of. i want to buy high quality guns i can pass on if i ever have gandkids, i know when go to my hunting lease i feel good to get out of my dads truck with one of my grandpas guns.

$750 on a 22lr is just plain wrong  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
Hello all, ROn L here

While I do understand what Sledge is trying to say and is saying, I don't agree with it! I assume the tool box approach for firearms as tools and I like to use what I like and works best for it's use and mission, 22LR has it's place, just not as my MBR or weapon? I see 22 as a really wel established, over looked caliber, for my use other calibers serve well and better for me in some operations  and use! On this we will just have to agree to disagree?

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
Hello all, ROn L here

While I do understand what Sledge is trying to say and is saying, I don't agree with it! I assume the tool box approach for firearms as tools and I like to use what I like and works best for it's use and mission, 22LR has it's place, just not as my MBR or weapon? I see 22 as a really wel established, over looked caliber, for my use other calibers serve well and better for me in some operations  and use! On this we will just have to agree to disagree?

i certainly wouldn't want one for protection

but if i was to pick a loadout I'd run a 10/22 with a 6" 357mag on my side
thats a winning combo right there

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
Hello all, ROn L here

i certainly wouldn't want one for protection

but if i was to pick a loadout I'd run a 10/22 with a 6" 357mag on my side
thats a winning combo right there

LOL!  Yeah, I agree.  It's amazing how a  6" 357mag adds to any loadout.

1000meterstare

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 04:10:53 PM »
More like a Frank'-N-Furter AR.   HAHAHA! :D

backwoodsboy

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
i love being a gun snob  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 02:51:58 PM »
Being a gun snob will get you killed, you spend all that money on whatever rifle and dont have enough ammo to protect yourself. [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at I would rather have 3000 rounds of ammo and a wasr 10 than a arsenal and 500 rounds of ammo.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
lol thats a good point, but as me and my ancestors have always seen it is you should enjoy life and buy firearms you can appreciate. as for as guns with a nice price tag, well thats what i have daddy for.  :))