General Category > Security & Survival

The Dog Corner

<< < (2/5) > >>

gadget99:
I will contribute a bit here.

Now that we have 4 sled dogs. We have been using a half dry and half raw diet with them.

The prime reason is that is what works best for them in terms of health.

The secong reason is that we want them to be used to a raw diet. So if SHTF we can keep them in good health feeding them what we dont use. Since we live on the coast. I can bag seagulls all day long. That and what we can net or catch on the line. We will be in a good place. Add some rice, beans, veg and fruit leftovers from our meals and they have a well rounded diet.

jimLE:
i have a Pomeranian.she's a great house dog.she's also great for outside at night.on account,she lets me know when something is there,and i don't know about it..

brat:

--- Quote --- half dry and half raw diet
--- End quote ---

Same here. Dexter gets one chicken quarter or leg every other day. Just make sure if you feed raw meat, they get the bone too. Never feed cooked bones though, they can splinter and potentially cause intestinal problems up to and including surgery.

Their system needs the calcium. Otherwise you can mix a calcium powdered supplement with boneless meat, but make sure it's balanced.

--- Quote ---When too little calcium is present, the body will leach calcium from the bones of the animal itself in order to compensate.  Weakening the bones in such a manner can cause a host of issues such as hypertrophic osteodystrophy (HOD), osteochondrosis (OCD), hip dysplasia, general bone and joint weakness, pain and fragile bones that break easily.  Dental health can also be compromised.
--- End quote ---

http://www.rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

http://www.aplaceforpaws.com/blog/calcium-and-the-raw-diet

gadget99:
You have in Brat.

People sometimes forget that huskies need bone in thier diet.

We constantly feed them raw chicken drumsticks as treats.

JohnyMac:
Our dog Dorothy loves her soup bones.

We are now out and about looking for antler sheds as she loves antlers to chew on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version